WnSoft Forums

Sound not working

Ronniebootwest

Yesterday everything worked fine but today I seem to have a problem! I compiled a new show (exactly as I have done a hundred times before) I have 82 slides and have added 3 mp3 music files - when I preview the project, the music will not play. However if I use the 'play' button on the timeline, it all seems to work and also, if I go ahead and create the exe file - that works fine too!

What can be wrong?

Ronnie,

If you have any transitions close together, try removing those slides or spreading the transitions further apart to see if this makes a difference. Previewing by the timeline, the "normal" preview, and the "exe" file all require different amounts of processor time, so it may be possible that some conflicting instruction is causing a glitch in the "normal" preview. Also, try rearranging the transitions right at the change-points between music selections to see if they might somehow be causing a conflict.

Otherwise, I don't know what the problem might be. You might have to give us some more details. You could send me your PTE file (without music and slides) so I can have a look at it and you never know - I might spot something. :)

Do you notice this problem with any other shows?

You could send me your PTE file (without music and slides) so I can have a look at it and you never know - I might spot something.

Not quite sure what you mean here Al, can you explain please.

I can only get the sound to work now, if I use the timeline to create a new show and even when I retrieve a previous 'template' of a show that used to run OK, it now only runs without sound. In desperation I deleted my copy of the PTE program and re-installed it - but this made no difference at all and I still have no sound when trying to run a preview of a show. However, I will repeat what I said before, if I go ahead and make the EXE file, the show will run as normal (with sound).

This is baffling me now so any help would be much appreciated.

Not quite sure what you mean here Al, can you explain please.

Just send an email to my personal address, alrobin@alrobinson.com, and attache your ".pte" file. I probably don't need any of the images or music files as the "pte" file will open without them. I'll have a look at the file with "Adjustor" to see what the transition and slide times look like, and check for any incompatibilities.

Even better, if you "dropload" me a zipped copy of all the image and music files for the show, too, I can test the whole show for you too. You can find dropload at www.dropload.com .

OK Al, I have emailed you the project file and the exe file. This is just a basic test (not the full slide Show) so that you might spot what is going on. I hope you have a fast connection otherwise it might take a while (12+ mb)

This problem of the sound not working has now been cured! It seems that it was something to do with the anti virus software that I use (Norton Internet security). I ran the 'automatic update' option within the software and that seems to have cured the problem (for now).

This problem of the sound not working has now been cured! It seems that it was something to do with the anti virus software that I use (Norton Internet security). I ran the 'automatic update' option within the software and that seems to have cured the problem (for now).

Ronnie,

May I ask ~ did you download any Sound Files in the past 10 days ? The reason I ask is because there has been a spate of backdoor 'Trojan Virii' circulating recently. These particular 'pests' were using Images & Sound Files to propogate themselves and Norton blocked the 'code' associated with these Files but in so doing it blocked some System Drivers. A Norton update was then released to re-configure their Software to prevent blocking of some of the generic Windows Sound Drivers ~ this may have been the problem.

Norton often uses this technique when they have not yet developed a "Fix" for a particular Virus ~ it's their way of keeping you safe from the unknown !

Let me know if you downloaded any Sound Files ?

Brian.Conflow.

Let me know if you downloaded any Sound Files ?

Brian.Conflow.

Hello Brian, No I have not downloaded any files from the web but I have copied a few from files given to me on disc. I did 'virus check' them before copying though.

Hello Brian, No I have not downloaded any files from the web but I have copied a few from files given to me on disc. I did 'virus check' them before copying though.

Hi Ronnie,

If these Downloaded Discs were of recent date, the the 'Anti-Virus Software' used to check them would need to be of a more recent date that the Disc's themselves. I got caught out on that 3 weeks ago with a Wedding Photo Disc, and true to form Norton A/V blocked MS.Photo Editor and my Win.Classic Player 321. ~ Virus scan at that time showed 'nil'.

That's the reason I was curious about any recent Download you may have done ? Just as you did, I installed the 'Automatic Updates' and everything was restored to normal with no after-effects.

Thanks for your reply ~ now I know I wasn't dreaming ~ Norton was just doing it's job.

Brian.Conflow.