WnSoft Forums

Help me, please.

Been reading these forums for a while but only just registered to post as I've only just had a problem.

It seemed to me to be exactly the same problem that Ronniebootwest had in August of this year and as such I followed the advice given by Conflow at the time.

There was a folder on my computer that caused it to freeze every time I tried to open it and told me that I needed to format my C drive whenever I tried to delete it.

I looked at its properites and found that it was read only, which I unselected, and Zero Kilobytes in size.

Great so far exactly the same as Ronnies problem.

Then I ran errorchecker and everything went fine until 46% of the way through stage 2 of 5 and then it just froze again....any tips?

Avitar

Follow Ken's advice ~ 80% of the time that works (don't forget to 'unclick' Read Only attribite box first) ~ but here's the 'caviat'

If that Folder has registered a unique 'File of Types Identity' in the System Registry then you have a problem because the System will prohibit the 'Uninstall' command. In these circumstances you will need to know the full (Dos) Title of the Folder and its extension suffix and exactly where the Folder resides on the PC.

The 'suffix' is its 'File of Type identity' ~ try changing the suffix to 'txt' then try Uninstall, it usually works. But then there are others which won't allow that either, because they are registered in the IE.Temp Folder which obliges the user to clear out all 'Cookies' ~ all 'History' and all 'Temp files'.

First disconnect the Internet connection, then open any Home Page, select Tools, then Options and find Temp Internet Files and clear out the lot. Shut down and Restart the PC, search for the Folder and repeat the above from the beginning if it still exists. (Stay off the Internet)

If that doesn't work, the last alternative here is opening the Registry and finding the 'File of Types' suffix and delete it, you will need to shut down and re-boot the PC afterwards for that to take effect. WARNING if you don't know how to do this, get somebody who does, otherwise you will do more damage than good.

It really annoys me when Companies (who should know better) do this type of thing. Hewlett Packard is one of many Companies who leave 'File of Types' on PC's which the average PC user can't get rid of. These Files & Folders usually come down the Internet as Data Pdf's or interactive Form's to support some Product or other.

Brian.Conflow.

AND IF IT IS NOT BOTHERING THE SYSTEM

LEAVE IT ALONE :rolleyes:

i likely hav many unknowns but i am not touching em'

leave a sleeping dawg lie :D:D

ken

Ken,

I absolutely agree with you ~ "don't fix it if it ain't broken" ~ However in Avitars case every time he goes near the Folder it "Freezes" the PC, it could be an empty Generic System Folder which is uninstallable ?

So if Avitar is reading this, please identify the Folder Title (in full with suffix) and then we may be able to get a handle on it ?

Brian.Conflow.

NO EXPERIENCE WITH THE FOLLOWING

WhoLockMe Explorer Extension

If you're having problems deleting a file, you might consider using WhoLockMe. The program has a handy Explorer extension that shows which Windows process is locking the file. One click kills the process, after which you can delete the file.

Version: 1.04 Beta

Price: Free

Download WhoLockMe Explorer Extension now at:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_desc...8,tk,hsx,00.asp

ken

Ken,

You find the neatest stuff on the net! This is exactly what I have been looking for, as lately I have been having a lot of trouble with not being able to delete files because some other application is "using" them. "Tying them up" is more like it! ;)

Ken,

You find the neatest stuff on the net! This is exactly what I have been looking for, as lately I have been having a lot of trouble with not being able to delete files because some other application is "using" them. "Tying them up" is more like it! ;)

Al in some cases i believe windows protocol keeps some programs running oin the background even tho' they are closed for a given length of time or till one reboots.

please report if the pcworld proggie works

thks

ken

another fyi only

no experience with it

ken

PC World's Daily Downloads

Your daily connection to the hottest free and trial downloads from PCWorld.com's expanding Downloads library.

October 28th, 2005

Today's Picks

Force Delete

Have you ever tried to delete a file or folder, only to get a Windows error message saying no can do? Try downloading Force Delete, a utility that works with all Windows versions to force delete the stubborn file. The program runs from a DOS command window.

Price: Free

Download Force Delete now at:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_desc...7,tk,hsx,00.asp

WORD OF WARNING

Readers,

Please be extremely careful when using these "Process Lock Killer-Programs" particularily those that run from a 'Dos Window' ~ untold damage can result if you accidentally remove a System File or Folder ~ and don't depend on 'System Restore' to replace a generic System File, there are those that can't be replaced.

If you are uncertain, or simply chancing your arm due to "PC Rage" because you can't kill a File or Folder don't go down this road.

If you know what you are doing that's O.K, otherwise consult your PC Guru first ~ it will be cheaper in the long run !

The biggest offender which runs silently in the background is 'Adobe Acrobat Reader' ~ simply open the Program and close it properly by RH.Clicking its 'icon' in the Task Bar and select 'Close'

Brian.Conflow.