WnSoft Forums

Mixing Pictures

grumpy558

Hi all--new to the forum & PTE.

Going through all my pics--I have a wide mix of resolutions--from 640/480 to above 1280/960. My comp is set to 1280/1024. I do plan to show them on TV; both standard & widescreen.

Is there 1 standard that will work with all these when I rezize or will the quality suffer especially on the 640/480 pics.

Thks in advance--

Bill

Hi Bill,

Welcome to the Forum!

The current "standard" seems to be 1024x768 px. However, some people are now using larger formats - either for greater resolution, or for wide-screen formats to match their home theatre setups.

800x600 is usable, but it is definitely inferior to the higher-pixel dimensions. And, unfortunately, you can't satisfactorily resize these to 1024x768. It's best to go back to the source and either re-shoot, or re-scan, to a higher resolution.

You need to define "will work with all these". The answer to your question really depends on how you plan to use the completed shows.

I will add that if you are planning on burning to dvd to show on tv --- the text position is best placed in the object editor when you are running 1024 788 as a minimum -- there are cheat lines as to where you are going outside the screen area - you could do rough setup using 800 600 but then swing to 1024/768

experiment is the best route and ask - we will try to help you as best as possible

ken

I will add that if you are planning on burning to dvd to show on tv --- the text position is best placed in the object editor when you are running 1024 788 as a minimum -- there are cheat lines as to where you are going outside the screen area - you could do rough setup using 800 600 but then swing to 1024/768

experiment is the best route and ask - we will try to help you as best as possible

ken

Thks Ken & Al for your guidance.

I have too many 640/480 pics & rezizeing them UP to 1024/768 appears to be out of the question. Not quite sure what the quality would be if I made the whole show at 640/480. I guess experimenting is the only way.

Thks again for your help---

Bill

Bill,

A show at 800x600 is not out of the question if you are content to live with smaller-size images. If the show is designed for viewing on a TV set, this could be quite acceptable, as the normal resolution of a TV set is quite small (unless it is one of the modern high-definition sets, or a flat-screen monitor and you are used for playing movies from dvd's, or digital tv from a satellite dish). If you are planning on converting to DVD format for TV viewing, as Ken indicated, starting with a higher resolution before the conversion to video will produce more-satisfactory results.

If you are viewing the show on a computer monitor, you have the choice of viewing the slideshow in its smaller format at your normal higher-resolution monitor settings, or else adjusting the resolution to 800x600, in which case you will fill the screen, but you will find that "jaggies" on the straight-lined objects to be quite pronounced. Below 800x600, the lower resolution could be a real problem. As you say, you really have to experiment to see what works for you.

If you are viewing the show on a computer monitor, you have the choice of viewing the slideshow in its smaller format at your normal higher-resolution monitor settings, or else adjusting the resolution to 800x600, in which case you will fill the screen, but you will find that "jaggies" on the straight-lined objects to be quite pronounced. Below 800x600, the lower resolution could be a real problem. As you say, you really have to experiment to see what works for you.

... When making the slide show; lets say at 1024/768 or higher; that if I took the lower quality pics (480/640) and using PE2 merge them ( 2 to 4 pics) into 1 slide either directly or using layers; saving as psd. Then resize it to the same size as the show---do you thk this may work????

Bill

That works very well - you can also use the Object Editor and select the "picture" button (4th object icon at the top left) to insert a smaller jpeg or gif image over the background image. You can position the smaller image where you like, and even add in several small iimages over the same background image.

Then, if you don't want the background image itself to show, simply un-check the "Show image" option opposite the name of the slide in the main window. Or, you can use a "black-slide" to overlay your smaller images as a way of reminding yourself which image on the slide list contains the "object" images, since so far there is no visual way of seeing which image has been "modified" in the Object Editor, without clicking on the image in the preview window or opening the object editor.

I use both ways quite often myself - if using the object editor, however, you have to keep in mind the different resolutions that the show might be displayed on with other computers - there is a "scaling" problem in PTE whereby the images might overlap on lower monitor resolutions. You can test this out in the object edidtor at the top left corner by selecting various screen resolutions.

That works very well - you can also use the Object Editor and select the "picture" button (4th object icon at the top left) to insert a smaller jpeg or gif image over the background image. You can position the smaller image where you like, and even add in several small iimages over the same background image.

Thks again Al--your a great help. Now I better quit bugging you and get busy trying to put this show together. If I run into a problem--I'LL YELL.

Thks again---

Bill

you have to keep in mind the different resolutions that the show might be displayed on with other computers - there is a "scaling" problem in PTE whereby the images might overlap on lower monitor resolutions. You can test this out in the object edidtor at the top left corner by selecting various screen resolutions.

Hello, Al : here you have a solution to this problem; it works fine .

Jean Pierre Dollangère and his friends of the french forum Diapositif use this techic for a long time ; it allows a projection or a view in all resolutions.

Excuse my poor english ... :huh: