WnSoft Forums

Music copyrights issues

snuggleball

I read some of the discussions on the copyright laws on music/soundtracks, but I have further queries.

Say, if I were to start a business making slideshows using the business version of pic2exe, when I add music/soundtracks to the slideshows for my clients, what do I need to take note of regarding the copyright laws concerning them?

If the clients bought their own CDs, and made an mp3 out of a soundtrack, could I use it for the slideshow legally?

If I have my own collection of CDs, is it legal for me to use them to make slideshows for my clients?

Do I have to worry about the differences between each country? Say, if I have clients from Singapore, Australia and Canada, are the same copyright laws applicable to them?

Will appreciate any insight on these issues! Thank you!

Snuggle

welcome to the forum.

you might as well face it -- you are going to have to use royalty free music to save yourself a lot of problems

even tho' you buy a cd the fine print will advise you that in reality you have only paid to use it -- not to alter it or resell it

see

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...ct=ST&f=2&t=299

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums//index...=medwyn+goodall

and Barry's latest

http://www.beckhamdigital.co.uk/royaltyfreemusic.htm

sorry to give such a dismal answer but that is the way it goes :angry:

ken

Hi Snuggleball,

Yes, Ken Cox is absolutely correct, you are obliged to 'pay' or use Royalty Free Music and the following simple insight into the 'copyright quagmire' should let you know what you are up against:-

There are 4 basic Copyright issues:-

* Artistes' Copyright ~

They earn their living from their origional Music and its Performances either Live or Mechanically Reproduced.

* Performance Copyright ~

That repays both the CD/Record Companys' investment and the Artists for making the Materials available to the General Public by way of Public Performances in Hotels, Bars, Shops, Factories, Stadiums, etc,etc.

* Mechanical Copyright ~

Which mean's that if you want to make "Copies" of the contents of a CD/Record you have to pay for the use of the Materials contained therein.

* Lawful Use ~

This is limited to a maximum of 30 seconds sample-rendition for the purposes of Demonstration of a Musical piece. Record and CD Stores and Web Stores use this facility for Demonstration purposes solely.

Musical Copyright Legislation is virtually 'water-tight' and carries punitive Fines in default of the Legislation(s) this irrespective of Nationality as most Nations now have Copyright Laws dealing with all Media's.

Hope this helps you....

Brian.Conflow.