WnSoft Forums

fonts in object editor

LumenLux

I just barely caught myself with a mistake that I will share. Most PTE users are aware, some forget, and some maybe don't realize until the undesired result appears.

The "problem" is using a unique font, with just the right appeal, in the object editor. The nice hand script font looked just "what I want" as I played back my "final" verison of the wedding show last night. When I awoke this morning, it hit me that the desired lettering might look entirely different on any other viewer's PC. Fortunately, a perceived remedy also came quickly to mind.

A quick test on different computer confirmed my fear. The font needed was not on the viewing computer so a common font was substituted. Not for the better.

The solution that worked seemingly well for me this time : PTE/Project options/advanced/Allow to restore pictures. This allowed me to capture the slide including the original desired font. Then simply inserted the new slide instead of using the object editor. Has anyone found problems with this method? If not, maybe this little post will help someone along the way.

Hi Lumenlux,

Yes, your comment is quite true, many people use imported 'True Type Fonts' (and others) and then find that they do not reproduce on other PC's as they had intended ~ particularily if they were imported into Web Sites.

Problems arise when users unwittingly import 'Font Types' origionally intended for another Operating System such as '95, '98' '98se, Me, etc etc. To make it simple,its very difficult to forward engineer old Font Types to suit modern Operating Systems such as XP, 2000, 2003, conversely you will find that modern Font Types will reproduce differently on the older OP.Systems.

Here listed are some of the 'truly' Universal Font Types which seem to work on everything,in particular "Verdana" is specially engineered for WSeb Sites, the other are:- Arial, Garamond, Tahoma and Microsoft Sans Serif.

You might like to check out this Link:- http://simplythebest.net This site is an amazing repository of Font Types and other Public Domain Utilities.

Brian.Conflow