WnSoft Forums

Sound track problems and amplification difficulties

giljones

1. This will sound basic to those who know, in analogue I knew the answers in PTE I struggle.

How do I join one or mooe pieces of music to form a comp[lete track, how do I select only a portion of a piece of music to join with another so that it all ends up ok.

2. How do I feed the output from my computer into an amplifier to get a greater volume of sound. I've tried feeding the socket output labelled speaker into my amplifier but notheing happens, what am I doing wrong. Thanks to everyone who helped me get going a few weeks back, I just hope you can you can sort me out now. Gilbert Jones

1. This will sound basic to those who know, in analogue I knew the answers in PTE I struggle.

How do I join one or mooe pieces of music to form a comp[lete track, how do I select only a portion of a piece of music to join with another so that it all ends up ok.

2. How do I feed the output from my computer into an amplifier to get a greater volume of sound. I've tried feeding the socket output labelled speaker into my amplifier but notheing happens, what am I doing wrong. Thanks to everyone who helped me get going a few weeks back, I just hope you can you can sort me out now. Gilbert Jones

To edit the music you need another piece of software - Audacity is a free package that will do all you need. You can find the link for this by looking in resources - pictures to exe on my club website - link below.

Not sure about your second problem - if you can see a small speaker icon on your taskbar, right-click on it to get a menu. This should let you open volume controls so you can check everything is as it should be.

If you are talking about your desktop machine it will probably have a stereo LINE output jack on the sound card which will feed into your amplifier. Make sure you have the appropriate stereo jack to two phonos lead.

If you are talking about a laptop then you can use the HEADPHONE output in the same way - same lead. I do this regularly.

Daveg

If you are talking about your desktop machine it will probably have a stereo LINE output jack on the sound card which will feed into your amplifier. Make sure you have the appropriate stereo jack to two phonos lead.

If you are talking about a laptop then you can use the HEADPHONE output in the same way - same lead. I do this regularly.

Daveg

Yes it is my desktop machine with a 3 socket set on the rear, one of which is labelled speakers the other two are red which I assume is Mic in and lastly Blue which I assume is Line in from tape etc. I have the correct stereo mini jack and stero jack to two phone output lead but when I connect it to my amplifier nothing happens,I have checked the integrity of the conection and leads and all seems to be ok. I have tried feeding the output into various inputs on my amplifier but everything is dead and yet I know the amp is ok as I use it for my analogue shows.

Gilbert

Gilbert,

You may have to open "Control Panel / Sounds and Audio Devices", and select "Audio / Volume ...", and turn on the "Wave/MP3" slider control. Also, while there, make sure the correct device is showing as the selected output sound playback device.

Thanks for you generous help.I've finally cracked the problem of no sound, I hate to admit this but I had a connection problem with the speakers , only found this when I started trying all the suggestions that I received. So thanks for your help. I now have a copy of Audacity but I cna't seem to be able to import audo produced by Windows Media Player, I ahve tried the various formats offered by Windows but none seem acceptable, any thoughts about this. Gilbert

Gilbert,

I'm not that familiar with Window Media files, but I'm not sure that they are compatible with Audacity. Try converting them first to wave files with dBPowerAmp Music Converter.

Hi Gilbert,

Audacity while it is free can be a bit moody at what type of file it uses. You need to download a lame file to allow you to work with mp3. One programme which is gainind popularty on this side of the pond is Audio Cleaning Lab by Magix.com. The current vertion is about €25 it is ment to convert vinal/ tape to CD but is very versatile and I recomend it to anybody starting in digital sound especially if like you they are coming from slide/tape as the methods are very simmelar to tape recording with the added advantave of copy/ cut/ paste to a timeline. You also get mastering tools like compressor, reverb, noise filters ect. In fact the more you push it the more you find you can do. I have jet to find a sound file that it will not import!

Alan