WnSoft Forums

Music Timing in PTE

giljones

I would be interested to know how PTE calculates the playing time for mp3 files loaded into a program,my experience to date (not a lot) indicates a discrepancy between what is supposed to be available and what actually happens. A typical example I have at the moment is as follows. Indicated time 12m 41s actual playing time 12m 12s. Can anyone explain what is happening. Gilbert

Hi Gilbert,

I suspect that there is some "dead time" either at the front or back of your song. If you download the freeware "Audacity" program and import your mp3 into it you can see visually what's actually there. You can also trim the leading or trailing edges of dead time and fine tune it to your liking.

Here's a link for Audacity in case you don't have it:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Lin

Hi Gilbert,

I suspect that there is some "dead time" either at the front or back of your song. If you download the freeware "Audacity" program and import your mp3 into it you can see visually what's actually there. You can also trim the leading or trailing edges of dead time and fine tune it to your liking.

Here's a link for Audacity in case you don't have it:

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Lin

I am already using Audacity, have edited all the spare ends of the three piece programme that I have edited into one piece. Gilbert

I am already using Audacity, have edited all the spare ends of the three piece programme that I have edited into one piece. Gilbert

So is it Audacity which says the combined mp3 is shorter than the time P2E calculates for it? How about the actual running time in p2e? Does the sound quit before the images finish or do they synchronize properly?

If you place the mp3 into a different slideshow with all defaults enabled and choose auto sync to music does is play for the proper time and does the last slide end with the sound?

Trying it in a different show could thow some light on the issue. If it works exactly the same then I would suspect there is still some hidden code in the MP3 which "should" be seen as a flat "tail" on the end of the visual in Audacity (assuming there is no dead space in the beginning). Otherwise I'm perplexed because I've always found P2E to register exactly the same time for my MP3's as Audacity. Strange indeed....

Lin

So is it Audacity which says the combined mp3 is shorter than the time P2E calculates for it? How about the actual running time in p2e? Does the sound quit before the images finish or do they synchronize properly?

If you place the mp3 into a different slideshow with all defaults enabled and choose auto sync to music does is play for the proper time and does the last slide end with the sound?

Trying it in a different show could thow some light on the issue. If it works exactly the same then I would suspect there is still some hidden code in the MP3 which "should" be seen as a flat "tail" on the end of the visual in Audacity (assuming there is no dead space in the beginning). Otherwise I'm perplexed because I've always found P2E to register exactly the same time for my MP3's as Audacity. Strange indeed....

Lin

Thanks for your info, this promped me to check everything I had done again and there it was, despite me editing away initially I found a dead end on the sound file, have now re edited it and it seems to be ok. Many thanks for your help. Sometimes we can't see the wood for the trees. Gilbert