WnSoft Forums

TIMELAPSE with PTE

ADB

I don't know how many out there are aware that PTE is a very effective tool to display timelapse sequences.

The following sample PTE presentation:- http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~bussty/Remarks&CloudsTL.exe

(note: is a 14 meg download)

shows a timelapse sequence made using PTE. All you need to do is take a picture of the same scene on a tripod at a fixed interval, say 10 secs. You can buy intervalometers for most cameras which let you do this automatically, some cameras even have this built in.

Once you have your sequence taken over a period of time, anywhere from 10 mins to 10 days! (or longer) you simply load them into PTE in the order taken and set up a CUT transition for each image at somewhere around 40ms interval (25 frames per second)

You can vary these settings of course to have faster or slower timelapse effects.

Hey Andrew:

I really like your time lapse sequence. Very neat effect. I must try this one out.

As I recall Andy Savage did a similar thing with a boat moving up a canal. I think his show may still be on Bill's site under demos.

thanks for sharing.....

ken

:D

ANDREW

you are an old smoothee:)

did you not make another time lapse show before showing the seasons?

If it was you, maybe post it again to show the new members?

ken

Hi Ken

Yes you are right I sort of did an earlier timelapse but that was a very different thing, it showed the same scene but taken at different times of the year, the images were then aligned and slow dissolves made between each image, that sequence only had about 25 images the one posted here has about 190!!

I would post it again but running a bit short on web space.

Hey Andrew:

I really like your time lapse sequence. Very neat effect. I must try this one out.

As I recall Andy Savage did a similar thing with a boat moving up a canal. I think his show may still be on Bill's site under demos.

thanks for sharing.....

ken

:D

Hi Ken

Glad you liked sequence, one I have been meaning to do is by the sea with the tide coming in and out over the course of a day, unfortunately I don't live by the sea and it seems a long way to go to nurse a camera for a whole day :-)

Andrew

Thanks for bringing your latest fun to our attention. The sequence is really quality and effective. I'm a little surprised how smooth you've been able to make it. I too had enjoyed your accomplished perfection of your earlier seasons evolution sequence - but yes that was quite a different thing as far as PTE is concerned. Are you using your time lapse technique in some of your commercial endeavors?

Your cloud sequence reminded me of my last time-lapse venture which had been with Super 8 film, ala late 70's. Time lapsed the spring crocus opening and living the day. Now, with your "suggestion" my digital is clicking away in our back yard as the spring snow of yesterday yields to the blue sky of this noon. However, I did not consult the manual and did not have time to test the mode. So, I may end up with 0 frames instead of my anticipated 99. Either way, thank you for sharing your fun.

Thanks Lumenlux, glad you liked the Timelapse Sequence.

No timelapse sequences being used in any Commercial Endeavors of late but there is huge potential.

Would really like to see your spring snow sequence :-)

And a quick mention for those that are thinking for those long Timelapse Sequences how are you going to make the batteries last? the solution there is to buy a little motorcycle battery or similar and one of those universal car adaptors which lets you use your IPOD or similar in the car and rig up a adaptable plug on to your Optional Mains Power supply for your camera so you can plug your camera into the battery bypassing the normal transformer. This gives you a lightweight portable power supply that wil last for days!

As I recall Andy Savage did a similar thing with a boat moving up a canal. Ken

Hi, Yes I sure did.

My Narrow Boat trip timelapse is available HERE. 33Mb

The trip is made from 639 photos!

Its worth noting that inserting the same 639 photos into PTE over and over does not increase the size of the final exe. I have inserted the 639 photos 3 times over, each time with a different delay for that group.

Also you may like a later timelapse I made taken from the dashboard of a car at night. This one has the advantage of being able to pause and rewind.

Car journey timelapse available HERE.

This contains 428 photos.

I intend to make several more timelapse movies and also some stop motion stuff.

Using PTE is a lot better than trying to make a movie with media player, There are several movie versions on my Broadband Enhanced section of timelapse movies.

Thanks

Andy

Would really like to see your spring snow sequence :-)

And a quick mention for those that are thinking for those long Timelapse Sequences how are you going to make the batteries last? the solution there is to buy a little motorcycle battery or similar and one of those universal car adaptors which lets you use your IPOD or similar in the car and rig up a adaptable plug on to your Optional Mains Power supply for your camera so you can plug your camera into the battery bypassing the normal transformer. This gives you a lightweight portable power supply that wil last for days!

Another way to make sure your battery lasts is to set the camera so it only takes one photo instead of 99 - - like I did! :angry:

I now have a one-photo sequence titled "Haste Makes Waste".

The day's weather progressed precisely as I hoped. Another good lesson to try an abreviated version of something until you are sure of what you are doing. At least Andy, you've got me thinking again of some possibilities. But as you say, some of them take an unusual committment of time to be able to have the camera safe even if it is set properly.