WnSoft Forums

AI slow motion example

Artificial Intelligence is rapidly becoming a standard feature in personal computers. The new silicon chips have neural processing units (NPU) that can perform 50 trillion of operations per second (TOPS). AI can be used for many things in multimedia including image generation, sharpening, video stabilization, motion tracking, audio adjustments, slow motion, ...

Here is a short example of slow motion. VideoProc and Final Cut Pro are using AI for frame interpolation. I think DaVinci Resolve has optical flow but not AI (maybe in the new version 19). The bubbles close to the far bank are not smooth in DaVinci Resolve or it would come it second place.

Tom

Hi Jill,

After reading your message I ran a quick test. I assumed it would be the same as iMovie but I think PTE looks slightly better. Neither have frame interpolation option like the others. I have access to Topaz Video AI and Premiere Pro so I will try to do a more detailed comparison and post again.

Thanks,
Tom

Updated version including Premiere Pro and Topaz Video AI. Fast moving dynamic water is difficult to convert to slow motion. I think PTE and iMovie use frame duplication (3 extra frames for .25x) while the others use frame blending or optical flow.  Final Cut Pro was faster than Topaz Video AI and my subjective opinion is that they were nearly identical.

Thanks,
Tom

Intrresting, I cannnot get Topaz Video AI to run fast enough on my machine even though it exceeds the minimum specs.

I have used speed ramping in Poer Director as well as numerous Android based video editors and they work quite well although I have not done the comparison in details that you have above. 

I think I need to find time to learn more about the free version of DaVinci Resolve.

Thanks for the info.

Mark

Hi Mark,

After more testing I think DaVinci Resolve Optical Flow retime process with Speed Warp AI motion estimation is just as good as Final Cut Pro and Topaz Video AI. I am running Topaz Video AI on a M2 Mac mini with 16 GB RAM. Speed Warp is only in the studio version which is a one time lifetime purchase of $295 USD with free upgrades. Great software. I also tried a demo of Twixtor in Final Cut Pro but I don't think it's worth the price.

Tom

• Like 1

Thanks Tom. Looks like I may have to find some money in the Budget for DaVice Resolve Studio in the coming months.

I assume you are shooting the footage on a Gimbal?

Over the last few months I have increased my video footage from the drone, mobile and sometimes camera.

My PC is overspecked to run video with 64GB Ram, i& processor and Nvidia RTX3060Ti video card but Topaz takes light years to run.

I use VN Editor on Android that is quite good and edit on a 9 inch tablet which is not the best but VN works well with lots of easy user options and a good GUI.

Cheers

Mark

Topaz Video AI is also slow on my M2. Maybe it requires a faster NPU with higher TOPS. DaVinci Resolve and Final Cut Pro are fast compared to Topaz.

I think FCP and DVR are both very good for slow motion.

I'm testing Blackmagic Camera on my Pixel 7 phone.

Tom