WnSoft Forums

AVI conversion using Adobe EncoreDVD

dpelling

Hi

I’m very new to PTE but have produced a show of restored family photos (synchronised) that works brilliantly, and I am very impressed by the program.

But I am having problems converting it to a video file.

First I tried Sonic MyDVD LE Ver 5. This converted the file but the resulting video played back on the TV was in monochrome only, and the side edges of the pictures had been clipped. It also had a noticeable flicker. All the original pictures were 1280 x 960 pixels.

So I tried using Adobe EncoreDVD 1.5. I used the PTE settings ‘DVD – Video disc’, ‘Pal/SECAM’ and ‘For Adobe Encore DVD’. However, when I tried opening the AVI file in EncoreDVD, I got the message: ‘Cannot open project; the folder for this project cannot be found,’. The AVI file was there alright and I selected it; it just wouldn’t open.

Has anyone any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong?

Many thanks.

Hi

I’m very new to PTE but have produced a show of restored family photos (synchronised) that works brilliantly, and I am very impressed by the program.

But I am having problems converting it to a video file.

First I tried Sonic MyDVD LE Ver 5. This converted the file but the resulting video played back on the TV was in monochrome only, and the side edges of the pictures had been clipped. It also had a noticeable flicker. All the original pictures were 1280 x 960 pixels.

So I tried using Adobe EncoreDVD 1.5. I used the PTE settings ‘DVD – Video disc’, ‘Pal/SECAM’ and ‘For Adobe Encore DVD’. However, when I tried opening the AVI file in EncoreDVD, I got the message: ‘Cannot open project; the folder for this project cannot be found,’. The AVI file was there alright and I selected it; it just wouldn’t open.

Has anyone any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong?

Many thanks.

Hey !

Make an AVI- file with PTE as indicated.

Now you need to have Magix Photo on CD and DVD (load a trial version! on www.magix.de)

Open this program in a new screen and open there your AVI-file.

Now you can convert it before burning, using Magix. It need a little bit of surching, but it works very good.

The Magix program cost about 25 $, that is very cheap for what you get.

Hope you find your way out!!

Flappy :D:D

Guest Techman1

Greyflannels,

Hello. Were you able to get Adobe EncoreDVD to work for you? I notice that the error message is addressing that the "Project" cannot be found. You may need to create a NEW project and then simply insert/add the PTE AVI file into this project. I would think that it would then be able to find your file and you should be on your way. I don't have EncoreDVD on my PC, so I am unable to give you the detailed steps involved, but I'll try if you can provide any additional information (or someone else probably has that program loaded & can help).

Let us know and good luck!

Fred

Greyflannels,

Hello. Were you able to get Adobe EncoreDVD to work for you? I notice that the error message is addressing that the "Project" cannot be found. You may need to create a NEW project and then simply insert/add the PTE AVI file into this project. I would think that it would then be able to find your file and you should be on your way. I don't have EncoreDVD on my PC, so I am unable to give you the detailed steps involved, but I'll try if you can provide any additional information (or someone else probably has that program loaded & can help).

Let us know and good luck!

Fred

Progress but not yet out of the woods!

Thanks guys for your suggestions - on reflection, it was a bit dumb trying to open an AVI file as a project, instead of into a project.

I first tried Flappy's suggestion of downloading the MAGIX program 'Photos on CD & DVD'. However, I was not able to find a means of importing an AVI file into a new project, so maybe this facility is missing from the free download version.

Then I tried again with Adobe EncoreDVD. I found that the file could be imported into a project under File/Import an Asset/select the AVI file/Open.

This revealed that the file Transcode status was 'Untranscoded'. By setting the transcode parameters in the box on the right, then right-clicking the filename and 'Transcode now', EncoreDVD started transcoding the file. Being totally new to EncoreDVD, I had no idea what transcoding actually meant.

The transcoding took around half and hour and it was gratifying to see it actually doing something.

The Transcode status then registered as 'Transcoded'.

What to do next though? So I tried File/Build DVD/Make DVD disc (sounded logical!), put a blank DVD in the burner, selected the Transcoded DVD folder, then selected Next and Build.

An auspicious piece of processing, I thought. However, the slide show would not play either in the DVD player on my PC, nor the one connected to my TV.

I will continue playing about with EncoreDVD in the hope of finding the solution although it is going to be more from luck than good judgement. In the meantime, if there is anyone out there with an inkling of what is going wrong, I would be very happy to try your suggestions.

Greyflannels

Guest Techman1

Greyflannels,

I'm glad that you are on the right track now. I read that there is an update to 1.5 that you might want to try to get (1.5.1). Some of the info I read says that 1.5 is fairly buggy.

Here is a link to a tutorial supposedly that takes you from start to finish using version 1.0, maybe it will help. Here's the link:

Encore Tutorial

Here's another link with possibly more info if the above link doesn't work for you:

VideoHelp Link to EncoreDVD

I hope this helps a little. Good luck!

Fred

Eureka! Well nearly...

Thanks for that Fred. It was a great help. The Encore Tutorial link was excellent and I would recommend it to anyone wanting a quick run through of how to make Encore work.

I have successfully made a DVD that plays fine on the PC. Unfortunately, I still have the problem that it will only play in monochrome on the set-top DVD player and would be grateful if anyone knows how to rectify this.

Anyway, here's how I did it...

1. Prepare AVI file in PTE, making sure Adobe EncoreDVD is ticked. I believe this may set the file to one of the three pixel dimension formats accepted by Encore.

2. Minimise PTE without clicking Finish.

3. Open Encore.

4. File/New project/select TV standard/OK.

5. If you wish, in the Properties box, change the DVD Volume name from the default 'DVDVolume'.

6. File/Import as Asset/ select the AVI file/Open. The file will appear in the Project window. Note that the Transcode status will be 'Untranscoded'. Transcoding occurs during the DVD build, but it will not happen unless a Timeline is assigned to the file.

7. Timeline/New Timeline. The Timeline will be assigned and you will see this appear as a second Asset in the Project window. Close the two Timeline windows that have opened.

8. At this point you can preview your slideshow. File/Preview.

9. Place a blank DVD in your DVD drive.

10. Unless you know what you are doing, leave the Transcode Settings on 'Automatic' as this will optimise the burn parameters.

11. File/Build DVD/Make DVD disc. You are prompted to Save the Project. Click Save As/name the project file/Save.

12. Here a window opened saying Encore has found a problem. Maybe this has to do with the monochrome TV playback? But it didn't list what the problem was, so I closed the box.

13.Click Next/Build. The build process takes quite while so go pour yourself a drink!

14. At the end of the burn the disc will be ejected.

Thanks again Fred, and I hope this helps anyone else trying to use Encore to burn a DVD from a PTE AVI.

Greyflannels

What a Pillock I am!

The method of producing a DVD-Video using Encore in my last posting was correct. The problem I had of monochrome playback using my DVD player connected to the TV was down to an incorrect setting on my TV input.

Anyone else following the EncoreDVD route to converting a PTE generated AVI file to a DVD-Video might like to take one further thing into account. The playback on the TV was slightly cropped so make sure any photos, captions etc are well within the border or you may lose some.

Greyflannels

Guest Techman1

Pillock (I mean Greyflannels), :D

I'm glad you got this all sorted out. I'm sure you are very happy now. Regarding the borders, there are several threads in the forum regarding this and some templates to help if anyone else needs info on this.

Again, I'm glad you got it working. Take care!

Fred