WnSoft Forums

DVD Player & PTE Video

grumpy558

Hi all:

Need some help, please---

Have made PTE projects work fine if I use CD's and record as VCD or SVCD. My DVD player shows these capabilities.

However, my comp has a dvd recorder and I would like to record on DVD's--I tried 1 and it did not work on my DVD player--what kind of DVD player do I need to use PTE and be able to play back on TV??

Also, I have a commericial DVD on glacier national park that I would like to be able to use with my PTE slide show, both for the comp and TV. What procedure do I need to use to convert comm dvd to be used in the PTE program, if possible to do so?

Bill :blink:

Bill

generally software thatis bundled with a dvd burner is a lite version will make vcd's and svcd on cd blanks not on dvd blanks

you will need a complete authoring suite -- what are you using to make the vcd - svcd's

this site describes one that a few members use for authoring -- it is part of a complete suite

http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/125/59/

commericial DVD on glacier national park -- you are going to have to rip it backwards to an avi or mpg and then with the complete authoring suite you will import the resulting file into the authoring program along with the the temp avi you have made with your show

but you will not likely have enough space on your dvd blank for the 2 -- commercial dvd's are generally 9 gb

see

http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&c2coff=1...to+mpeg&spell=1

you better figure out how to make an ordinary dvd first before you jump into the ripping territory --- time to do and system power are both very important

ken

Bill, I'm guessing, are you copying VCD/SVCD to a DVD blank, (be it + or - doesn't matter)? If so, then this could be your problem. VCD is Mpeg 1 format, DVD is Mpeg 2 format.

Is your authoring software up to converting AVI to DVD? If not, then follow Ken's advice and purchase Nero 7 for Nero Vision.

Personally, I use Ulead's Video Studio version 7, an old version but it does the job. When the AVI is created I open Video Studio and import this file to the timeline, then from the options, VCD/SVCD/DVD, choose to render to a DVD format file (mpeg2), either saving or automatically rendering directly to a blank DVD disk. The rendering takes a while longer for DVD than VCD as the resulting file is huge.

Nero is quite capable for all this, I just stick with Ulead out of habit, it's been my preference since starting slides using Windows Movie Maker2.

As for your DVD player, it may only support one or the other of the main formats + or - Most players support both but it's worth checking.

[

you will need a complete authoring suite -- what are you using to make the vcd - svcd's

this site describes one that a few members use for authoring -- it is part of a complete suite

http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/125/59/

commericial DVD on glacier national park -- you are going to have to rip it backwards to an avi or mpg and then with the complete authoring suite you will import the resulting file into the authoring program along with the the temp avi you have made with your show

but you will not likely have enough space on your dvd blank for the 2 -- commercial dvd's are generally 9 gb

Hi Ken/Nathan:

Thks for your response--really helps---

I am using DVD Movie factory for my avi's for the PTE projects--not sure if this program allows me to rip commericial DVD.

I found out that I can't copy VCD/SVCD to DVD. I am presently just using CD's because my DVD player just shows support for VCD/SVCD; not sure about mpeg.

My sole purpose for this procedure--to be able (if possible) to convert comm DVD to an exe file that can be called up to play from my last slide of PTE.

Thks again--you guys are the greatest for us novices--LOL

Bill

:D

to convert comm DVD to an exe file that can be called up to play from my last slide of PTE.

you are not going to be able to make an exe from ripping a commercial dvd - you will be able to make an avi mpg etc with the proper software

ken

Bill, I'm in agreement with Ken on 'ripping' the commercial DVD. Apart from never having heard of this being done before to what you require, not only will the content be possibly too large in gb size for a blank DVDR which is limited to 4.5gb, it will be copyrighted. A straight forward copy for personal use is normally accepted but for no other purpose, otherwise you risk breaking copyright law.

The AfterDawn forums at http://forums.afterdawn.com/ cover discussion on all things DVD, who knows, you may find a definite answer there.

You say your DVD player only supports VCD/SVCD, what make is it?

The mind boggles Ken! So, if Bill uses this program, rips the commercial DVD to AVI, a Pictures to Exe show to AVI, imports all AVI files into his Movie Factory render/copy to VCD or DVD format and Create Disc he can achieve what he wants to do. Sound feasible to you?

Copyright issues aside, it would be interesting Bill if you do go ahead to keep us posted.

Nathan.

Nathan & Ken:

Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you. I appreciate the help but beginning to believe its not worth the effort for the little that I want to do. I may try my hand at it later.

Now I am trying to learn to use my camcorder (DV) and a bunch of QT movies and be able to convert and use a portion of them in the PTE's.

Thks again for the help.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...