WnSoft Forums

EXE or ZIP

sanewcomb

EXE or ZIP

I've noticed that many P2E users are posting their finished slideshows as archived ZIP files instead of the uncompressed EXE file. Aside from the nominal (small) amount of size savings, is there any other reason not to use the EXE file on web servers to share with others?

I've tried it both ways and seems to work the same on the few computers I have to try it on. For me, I'd rather spend a few extra % in file size to save others the added step of uncompressing the slideshow before viewing. And it is a potential barrier (if a computer doesn't have ZIP decompression software) to viewing the slideshows on public computers found in libraries, etc.

Just wanted to know if there were possible problems with using EXE files for web distribution that others had experienced.

Thanks

Steve

Tucson, AZ

EXE or ZIP

I've noticed that many P2E users are posting their finished slideshows as archived ZIP files instead of the uncompressed EXE file. Aside from the nominal (small) amount of size savings, is there any other reason not to use the EXE file on web servers to share with others?

I've tried it both ways and seems to work the same on the few computers I have to try it on. For me, I'd rather spend a few extra % in file size to save others the added step of uncompressing the slideshow before viewing. And it is a potential barrier (if a computer doesn't have ZIP decompression software) to viewing the slideshows on public computers found in libraries, etc.

Just wanted to know if there were possible problems with using EXE files for web distribution that others had experienced.

Thanks

Steve

Tucson, AZ

Hi Steve,

Yes, like Ken says, it's primarily a security issue. Numerous ISP's have software which balks on executables so the zip gives an additional level of protection which prevents both storage and download issues with various software. Some ISP's don't want executable stored in their native fashion because of the danger of even accidental actuation of a potentially dangerous file on their server. With zip it must be off-loaded and unzipped before the .exe can be run. Also in the event that you decide to email a slideshow, zip is acceptable by most email servers which bounce executables.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks Ken and Lin.

Your answers beg another question that has been in the back of my mind.

Since P2E relies on running an EXE file, it is a potential path to spreading viruses. Has there been any consideration to putting some kind of checksum routine to verify the file initially created by P2E is the same file at a later time (Igor?). It doesn't seem too hard to imagine someone with a lot of slideshow EXE files on their harddisk getting an infection, which then infects the slideshows, followed by sending these on when sharing the EXE files with friends. If P2E had a way of checking itself before running, it would reduce the chance of a virus infecting another computer.

It certainly is a concern of many people to download an EXE file and run it. Putting it in a ZIP file doesn't prevent an infected EXE file from being transferred to another computer, although it may (I'm not sure) prevent an infection occurring while sitting on a server waiting to be shared.

I'm not questioning the use of EXE files as I understand it is what allows the high quality. Just pointing out it does limit the distribution of slideshows somewhat as some people just will not run EXE files (or EXE files contained in ZIP files) they receive in their inboxes. If it checked itself, it would at least give users of P2E confidence if they send out an infected file, it won't infect the receiver's computer.

Steve

Tucson, AZ USA

Steve

"Since P2E relies on running an EXE file, it is a potential path to spreading viruses."

this was run thru the mill well over a year ago and it was felt the program was doing its part and the system owner has the resopnsibilty to ensure the safety of exe's

use search of forume

ken