WnSoft Forums

For Igor

Lin Evans

In a future version of P2E would it be possible to see the numbers represented by future keypoint positions without actually adding and clicking on a keypoint?

What I mean is if you slide the little blue arrow across the time line, would if be possible to display the keypoint numbers in a window with the time numbers scrolling by so the user knows precisely what time is represented by a given position of the little blue arrow? If so, then watching the movement of an object on screen while sliding the arrow might help place the keypoint at a precise position represented by the object rather than trying to "guess" at what precise time to type into the keypoint block to make an event happen when the object is at a precise point.

Something like Photoshop uses in the Info Window when you move the cursor across the screen and the XY coordinates are continuously updated, except for time rather than position?

Thanks,

Lin

Guest Techman1

TheDOM,

Here is what Al was referring to (See the small red circle at the bottom):

KeypointSample.jpg

Also after you add an object, as you drag the blue triangle across when you get to the time/point you want, you can simply release it and then click on the "Create New Keypoint here" button to add a keypoint to that point in time. See the other red circles showing this.

Fred

Lin,

Unless I misunderstood your request, this feature exists already. There is a small box called "Position" just below the "Project Options" button.

LOL - It does indeed! I completely missed it - perhaps because it's labeled "Position". Shouldn't it correctly be labeled "Time?"

That will teach me to be more observant!!

Best regards,

Lin

Lin

If it was labelled Time we'd have guys asking how to convert from London Time to New York when they moved the laptop!

LOL

:D;)B):D

Maureen

Only kidding Folks!

Thanks, Fred,

I guessI should have been a little more explicit in my post - it's not really a "box", but an item on the bottom line. :)

Thanks for the screenshot - that is a much better way to indicate where it is.

Fred,

Thank you for the screen capture. I misunderstood Al because I thought it was a box to check.

Speaking of the information "position", don't you think it would be more logical to have the position of time in the slide and not in the whole slideshow.

Don't know if it makes sense, so let's take an example :

slide #1 : 4 sec

slide #2 : 6 sec

If you put a keypoint in slide #2, at 1 sec after the beginning of this slide, "position" indicates 5 sec.

I think it would be easier if it would give the information "1 sec". :unsure:

And it would be more logical refering to the information on the left "Duration" (of the slide).

Btw, to add a keypoint, I use the right click and then "Add Keypoint here".

Fred,

Thank you for the screen capture. I misunderstood Al because I thought it was a box to check.

Speaking of the information "position", don't you think it would be more logical to have the position of time in the slide and not in the whole slideshow.

It was a long "box". :P

Re the "position" timing, I personally prefer to see it from the beginning of the show, as it is, so that, in the current absence of accompanying sound, it is easier to synch the music with object keypoints in a sound editor.

What brought this to my attention was a timing issue I seem to be having which I have not been able to figure out yet.

I have the Sun with Venus orbiting in an elliptical orbit. The sun consists of several PNG's designed to create a swirling gas/flame effect by moving in opposite rotational directions and by "horizontal flip" of one of the PNG's.

Venus consists of a Venus and "dark Venus" PNG. The dark Venus PNG is in a child relationship to the regular Venus and exists to create the "silhouette" effect when Venus crosses the image of the Sun on the side facing the viewer. For the first orbit, everything worked exactly as expected. I adjusted the dark Venus to zero opacity at the start and put a place holder zero opacity just before Venus crossed the Sun on the first orbit and a 100% (some interim steps omitted for clarity) when it was over the sun. As Venus leaves the sun the Opacity was changed back to Zero (in increments) and everything works perfectly!

The problem became apparent on the second orbit. When I essentially duplicated the procedure for the first orbit, Venus turned dark way too soon. After tinkering with it for about a half hour I finally did an iterative solution by making dark Venus zero until well into the Sun and didn't change the opacity back to zero until it was well out of the influence of the Sun.

If you move the blue arrow manually through the second orbit you will see what I mean. However, the actual preview doesn't match the manual simulation. The actual Preview looks correct now, but to make it look correct I had to "fudge" quite a bit.

Perhaps this has to do with insertion of a keypoint and then subsequently changing the time and may be solved by something I suggested earlier about the possibility of "linearity" of effects in terns of pan,zoom, etc., being optional or fixed via a "switch" check box - I don't know for certain, but if anyone wants to run the pte simulation, just click and hold on the blue arrow and run through the second orbit with the view set to about 150% so you can see what the manual movement reveals versus what happens with the Preview.

Tis a mystery - LOL

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/venus.zip

Best regards,

Lin