WnSoft Forums

The Boys of Bell Canyon

LumenLux

Posted on Beechbrook is The Boys of Bell Canyon.

I consider this to be a little "life-share" presentation. It is an 11 minute glimpse into the current life of a few aging friends.

Please feel free to share any observations you may have.

But not yet "to old to cut the mustard" LOL - looks like some tired ol' boys but the fishing and scenery made it all worth while. Great job to get some beautiful frames and memories. I can almost taste those fish!

Isn't that in the Cottonwood area? If so, isn't that a bit over a 4,000 ft altitude increase in a bit less than four miles? Bet you had some sore muscles the next day or so? LOL...

Best regards,

Lin

But not yet "to old to cut the mustard" LOL - looks like some tired ol' boys but the fishing and scenery made it all worth while. Great job to get some beautiful frames and memories. I can almost taste those fish!

Isn't that in the Cottonwood area? If so, isn't that a bit over a 4,000 ft altitude increase in a bit less than four miles? Bet you had some sore muscles the next day or so? LOL...

Best regards,

Lin

I think you are right on all counts, Lin. :) Sounds like you know the area. Have you made the same hike?

The trail starts near the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon, which is the canyon of Alta and Snowbird ski resorts. What ever the hike length is, say 'X" miles; It is definitely the "longest" "X"-mile hike in Utah. The trail covers about the first 40% of the distance and then you are mostly on your own. Steep no matter what route you find.

Some different friends and I had taken this Bell Canyon route a year ago as part of our climb to Lone Peak. We figured for that hike, the elevation gain is about 6500 feet, at an even steeper rate. I don't know if you were "around" when I posted the PTE of Lone Peak. If you or anyone else "missed" it and want to see it, it is still linked on Beechbrook at Up Close and Personal - to a mountain.

I think you are right on all counts, Lin. :) Sounds like you know the area. Have you made the same hike?

The trail starts near the mouth of Little Cottonwood Canyon, which is the canyon of Alta and Snowbird ski resorts. What ever the hike length is, say 'X" miles; It is definitely the "longest" "X"-mile hike in Utah. The trail covers about the first 40% of the distance and then you are mostly on your own. Steep no matter what route you find.

Some different friends and I had taken this Bell Canyon route a year ago as part of our climb to Lone Peak. We figured for that hike, the elevation gain is about 6500 feet, at an even steeper rate. I don't know if you were "around" when I posted the PTE of Lone Peak. If you or anyone else "missed" it and want to see it, it is still linked on Beechbrook at Up Close and Personal - to a mountain.

Hi Robert,

Yes, many years ago before there was an official trail of any kind - it was not and easy climb and I can appreciate what you went through - beautiful area though and the view of the valley is outstanding by night. It looks amazingly green now - much more so than when I made that climb.

I missed your Lone Peak show but will go back and have a look.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Robert,

Just checked it out - amazing trip! This would be a wonderful example to explain to other photographers I frequently speak with why I use a "crop factor" (Nikon D2X) camera frequently for my wildlife photos rather than a full frame camera requiring tripod and head and huge, heavy lenses. I traverse high mountain passes and regularly shoot at altitudes ranging from 13,000 to 14,000 feet and just can't negotiate the scree fields and boulders carrying 26 pounds of camera equipment (1DS Mark II, Gitzo tripod and head and Sigma 300-800mm lens) in addition to my survival gear.

Here in Colorado we get frequent squalls with lightning in early afternoon nearly daily. So travel must be done before noon and after 2:30 pm or so. I carry 9.6 pounds of DX2 with 200-400 VR (stabilized lens) and a 1.4x tele converter and that's a load when you add it to the other survival, food, rain/snow gear, sleeping bag & shelter. It's always fun having the "arm chair" experts tell me I should be shooting my Canon with long glass - HA! I usually end up inviting them along to carry my gear!

Beautiful scenery - love the water and wild flowers - but once up that mountain would probably be enough for one lifetime.

Best regards,

Lin