WnSoft Forums

Saving AV to DVD

Tramsteer

Hello,

I am new to this site though I have been using P2Exe and Pro Show Gold for well over a year.

I run these slide shows via a digital projector and speakers interfaced to my latop. Great results and everbody loves it. However I have had much trouble over saving P2Exe to DVD using the Nero software wich came with my main (photo) computer (not linked to the internet), bought 15 months ago.

I have no trouble with PSG it gives you the option when creating (finish), a slide show to save to DVD, which runs well on my DVD player and TV.

Sorry if this subject has covered b4. I did have a little look and could find the exact answer I wanted. I am probably missing some really obvious point

Thanx in anticipation

John at Tramsteer

JOHN

welcome to the forum

the nero version you got with your computer is an OEM version and does not have all the smarts needed to create a dvd like what you want.

A nero suite is +- $100 and it will do the job quite nicely -- when "Hawk" gets up -- he is busy closing his pool -- he might add some tips as to the version you need -- he and Ronnie both use version 7+ suite

Just finished doing a show withe Nero 6.6 that runs 8 mins and 44 seconds -- it took 2 hrs 22 mins to encode/burn the first dvd

in the interim search the forum for nero

ken

John

As Ken has mentioned the OEM version of Nero is pretty well limited if this is what you have.

If memory serves me right you can create a SVCD, which still has very good quality close to DVD however here again you are limited to a DVD player that will play SVCD format – not all do.

This is done with other programs such as TMPGEnc Plus ver 2.5 which is now a free version I think, to create the Mpeg file from the PTE temp .AVI that your version of Nero could burn to CD.

If you wish to share your DVD’s that will play on any DVD player you would be best to purchase a full version of Nero or another program which would include a complete authoring program.

This would then allow you to create a DVD menu and add many PTE shows to the DVD

The latest is Nero 7 – Burning Rom 7.2.70 build.

Make sure you check out the system requirements first.

There is a trial version available on line, 127 Meg so you will need a fast internet connection.

There are many good DVD authoring programs on the market. If you decide on which program best suits your needs, just post a question here in the video forum and am am sure you will get an opinion from members on the product you choose.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I am another newbie to PTE .

I have just begun to use PTE in the last month or so and quite impressed with the ease and the quality of the EXE slideshows that I can put together (still discovering new things everyday).

However I need to convert the avi to DVD so that it can be displayed on a standard DVD player.

After some initial false-starts I have been able to create some quick test discs in SVCD and DVD formats.

I started off with the pics from my 5M camera (2560x1920) but are quite disappointed with the quality of the pictures on the created discs. The pictures are pixelated, jagged, missing pixels (esp on the eyes and teeth!).

The latest setup I have used for PTE's 'Making of AVI video file' is:

DVD-video disk

PAL/SECAM (Europe)

Sharpness filter, Interlaced [ticked]

The following log is from my Nero Vision Express 2 (vers 2.1..2.8)

[21:53:35] ExpressUI ------<NeroVision Project Information>--------

[21:53:35] ExpressUI --- Project type: DVD-Video

[21:53:35] ExpressUI --- Project video options ---

[21:53:35] ExpressUI Video mode: PAL

[21:53:35] ExpressUI Aspect ratio: Automatic

[21:53:35] ExpressUI Quality: High quality (9716 kbps)

[21:53:35] ExpressUI Resolution: 720 x 576 (CCIR-601)

[21:53:35] ExpressUI File type: MPEG-2

[21:53:35] ExpressUI Audio format: Dolby Digital (AC-3) 2.0

[21:53:35] ExpressUI Encoding mode: High Quality (2-Pass VBR)

[21:53:35] ExpressUI --- Project space information ---

[21:53:35] ExpressUI Used disc space: 0.49 GB

[21:53:35] ExpressUI --- Project contents ---

[21:53:35] ExpressUI Number of titles: 1

[21:53:35] ExpressUI 1. Chpass06b_vid600 (Video Title, 0h 06m 50s)

[21:53:35] ExpressUI Video mode: PAL

[21:53:35] ExpressUI Aspect ratio: 4:3

[21:53:35] ExpressUI Quality: High quality (9716 kbps)

[21:53:35] ExpressUI Resolution: 720 x 576 (CCIR-601)

I have tried some different settings but still cannot get an acceptable video show. From reading the forums I believe that you can get quite good quality shows with standard DVD player. What have I missed ?

Much appreciated if you can share your advices and suggested optimum settings.

Lance [Australia]

post-3255-1159044588_thumb.jpg

post-3255-1159044706_thumb.jpg

Hi Lance - also a warm welcome.

The pictures are pixelated, jagged, missing pixels (esp on the eyes and teeth!).

You may want to un-check Sharpness Filter.

Images on the TV I have found if just a touch blured show better / smoother.

You are aware you will not get the quality of the .EXE as you do on your computer monitor.

However they should be acceptable.

Your Log File posted looks Ok to me.

Take Kens advise and crop your images to 1024 x 768 and do a small 7/8 image slide test show.

You may want to un-check Sharpness Filter.

. . .

Images on the TV I have found if just a touch blured show better / smoother.

Take Kens advise and crop your images to 1024 x 768 and do a small 7/8 image slide test show.

Thanks Ken/Hawk

It seems that un-checked Sharpness Filter do the trick.

I have also resize my photos to 1280x960.

The test DVD now shows improved sharpness and is quite acceptable :) .

Thanks all for your help.

Just one more question : on what occasion do you check Sharpness Filter ?

Lance

Just one more question : on what occasion do you check Sharpness Filter ?

Ken and others may have a different opinion, but I never use the Sharpness Filter.

I do all my editing with my graphic editor.

If I feel some adjustment should be made I can do it at the TV level - Contrast / Sharpen.

Using Photoshop Elements I crop from the original camera Image, sharpen 1 touch.

I also prefer to burn/ write to Hard Drive with Nero to produce the Video_TS folders.

Then using Nero Burning Rom I burn at a 4x speed to DVD disk.

Nero I think defaults to 4x.

I have heard the slower the burn the better ?

Glad to hear you are seeing some improvements.

what version is your nero

assume you are using ver 4.48 pict to exe

Hi Ken,

yes I am using pte 4.48

My version is Nero 6.3.1 and NVE 2.1.2.8

Your question prompted me to look up for (free) online updates for my Nero s/w.

I have been able to get my Nero updated to 6.6.1.4 and will try to get NVE 3.1.0.25 (the downloads failed to complete several times due to such large files).

Thanks for your advice. We will see if the updates help with the DVD quality and creation process.