WnSoft Forums

PTE crashing

Paula G

Run Windows XP, 2Gb ram, dual monitors (1280x960 and 1600x1200), have just had installed a new video card: Matrox Dual Head Millenium P650.

Had not used PTE untill today and :

Suddenly when using the 'Object Editor' it opens in a tiny window instead of full frame and the whole thing freezes up, I have to do a Ctr/alt/ del to get out again.

I have re-installed PTE, re-booted etc. but nothing does the trick.

Please help!

I suppose your video card or maybe current drivers or settings don't support full hardware 3D acceleration. Please wait for the final v5.00 when PTE will support all configurations of PCs and use v4.48

Thank you for your quick reply...I am using 4.48 which has worked perfectly for many months, it is a mystery.

Paula,

After you physically 'installed' your New Video Card ~ What did you do next ?

Windows would 'advise' that it has found New hardware and would offer to install Drivers for this Hardware. If you choose this option Windows has selected Generic Drivers it considers best suited to your Card, but that only works if Windows has a complete and up-to-date Library of Card Drivers ~ I suspect it hasn't ?

You should always 'install' the Drivers from the CD-Installation Disc that came with the Video Card. I suspect that you have a Driver conflict because Windows has defaulted to a 'Small Screen Display' which is typical when it encounters something it can't resolve.

Hope this points you in the right direction...

Brian.Conflow.

Paula,

After you physically 'installed' your New Video Card ~ What did you do next ?

Windows would 'advise' that it has found New hardware and would offer to install Drivers for this Hardware. If you choose this option Windows has selected Generic Drivers it considers best suited to your Card, but that only works if Windows has a complete and up-to-date Library of Card Drivers ~ I suspect it hasn't ?

You should always 'install' the Drivers from the CD-Installation Disc that came with the Video Card. I suspect that you have a Driver conflict because Windows has defaulted to a 'Small Screen Display' which is typical when it encounters something it can't resolve.

Hope this points you in the right direction...

Brian.Conflow.

Thank you so much. A Guru has sorted the problem out, and indeed the wrong drivers were on the machine. He installed the right ones and hey presto, PTE is working perfect again. What a relief! :)