WnSoft Forums

Need help with exe. file

DixieGal

Hi Everyone-

This is my first time on the forum, but I am not a stranger with using slideshow programs. This is, however, the first time I've experienced this problem with any program. I made my first Pictures to Exe slideshow, created the exe. file, and uploaded it to the same website I've always used. But, the problem is that when the file is downloaded, it doesn't play the slideshow......instead it gives the "This program has encountered a problem and needs to close" error.

I am using PTE Version 4.48........can anyone tell me what the problem is, and why this slideshow produces this error?

Thanks for your help!

Sherrie

Thanks for the welcome, Ken! I will try that.......only I don't know how to zip the file, since I've never had to do that before now. And, just curious.....what difference would it make to the function of the slideshow?

Sherrie

Hi Sherrie,

The problem with trying to upload and download executable code is that some ISP's either don't permit executable code to reside directly on their servers or they tend to treat it as a possible virus and it gets corrupted. By using a zip program to zip up the executable inside a zip compressed shell, the integrity is preserved and corruption is unlikely.

There are a number of programs which can zip your executables. Some are free, one may actually have come with your computer, but that unlikely. Most Windows operating systems allow computers to "unzip" automatically.

If you don't already have a zip program, I would suggest PKZip (the original) which is inexpensive and well worth the money. You definitely need a way to zip files not only for storing and transferring your executables but for a variety of other reasons.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks for the welcome, Ken! I will try that.......only I don't know how to zip the file, since I've never had to do that before now. And, just curious.....what difference would it make to the function of the slideshow?

Sherrie

Thanks for the explanation, Lin. That does make sense. It was just strange to me that I've been uploading slideshow files for several years now, and I've never had this problem before....only with the PTE program.

Sherrie

Thanks for your help, Ken........I zipped the file, uploaded it again, and it works now! So, you were right! I also learned something in the process - that I can zip a file pretty easily with XP.......just right click on the file, and the zip option is there in the drop down menu.

And, thanks to you and Lin......I'm a happy camper to have this problem solved!

Sherrie