WnSoft Forums

Easier way to create text in PNG???

goddi

Pardon me if I my assumptions are incorrect. I am trying to deal with the text issue. I have made many PTE shows with unusual fonts that might not be on someone elses PC. So I sometimes have included the font for them to copy to their Windows font file. When I try to open 4.x shows into 5.x, the text do not yet transfer into this beta version. I assume that it will in the final version. So, many thanks to Lin's teaching AVI on creating transparent PNGs text files, I learned to create PNG text files for 5.x. And, is it correct that I can only bring in PNG files into 5.x, but not 4.x???

My main question has to do with converting the text in my old 4.x shows to the new 5.x version. I assume that it will convert so that I would still have the same problem in 5.x if the viewer does not have that unusual font on their PC. So, I will want to recreate all of my text in my 4.x shows as PNGs when the final 5.x version is out. Is there any fast way to just copy and paste the 4.x text boxes into a PNG file in Photoshop? Or will I have to follow all the steps as I now do with 4.x to make each PNG file from scratch???

Thanks... Gary

Pardon me if I my assumptions are incorrect. I am trying to deal with the text issue. I have made many PTE shows with unusual fonts that might not be on someone elses PC. So I sometimes have included the font for them to copy to their Windows font file. When I try to open 4.x shows into 5.x, the text do not yet transfer into this beta version. I assume that it will in the final version. So, many thanks to Lin's teaching AVI on creating transparent PNGs text files, I learned to create PNG text files for 5.x. And, is it correct that I can only bring in PNG files into 5.x, but not 4.x???

My main question has to do with converting the text in my old 4.x shows to the new 5.x version. I assume that it will convert so that I would still have the same problem in 5.x if the viewer does not have that unusual font on their PC. So, I will want to recreate all of my text in my 4.x shows as PNGs when the final 5.x version is out. Is there any fast way to just copy and paste the 4.x text boxes into a PNG file in Photoshop? Or will I have to follow all the steps as I now do with 4.x to make each PNG file from scratch???

Thanks... Gary

Hi Gary,

You can use any screen capture tool to select and copy only the rectangular area which encompasses the the text you wish to convert. If the surrounding environment (the area on which the text lies) is of uniform color, then it is relatively easy to transfer to a PNG file. You simply go to Photoshop, open a transparent background as if you were going to type in text but instead simply "paste" the capture. Next you choose the "select color range" then use the eraser tool to remove the uniform color surrounding the text.

On the other hand if the text is surrounded by a multi-color background, it's perhaps easier to re-create it rather than spend the time extracting the text by erasing multiple background colors. Of course since a PNG file containing text is a true "graphic" rather than a text format it is, as you know, independent of anything residing on a foreign computer system so the "font" would be preserved in any situation.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin... I had tried several ways of copying the text from PTE into the PNG window but I could not. But I just went back into PTE 4.x and went to the 'raw' text window and the copy/paste thing worked. I was trying to copy the text after it was in the Object Editor window with the font and color already applied. I can not get any 'screen capture' to copy the text in the Object Editor window. I was trying to get around having to find out which font it was and what size font and having to retype everything in Photoshop. But I can live with not having to retype the text, since I can just do a 'copy' from the text input window. I will just have to doublecheck which font I used and go through the PNG creation process. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to do all of this within PTE. :rolleyes:

I find using the Text tool in Photoshop is not real intuitive. Sometimes I can't seem to be able to get back into the editing mode no matter what I do. Then all of a sudden, I do. And I just figured out how to be able to add a second line of text (going to the Paragraph tab). I need more practice....

And thanks again for your PTE instructional AVI.

Gary

Lin... I had tried several ways of copying the text from PTE into the PNG window but I could not. But I just went back into PTE 4.x and went to the 'raw' text window and the copy/paste thing worked. I was trying to copy the text after it was in the Object Editor window with the font and color already applied. I can not get any 'screen capture' to copy the text in the Object Editor window. I was trying to get around having to find out which font it was and what size font and having to retype everything in Photoshop. But I can live with not having to retype the text, since I can just do a 'copy' from the text input window. I will just have to doublecheck which font I used and go through the PNG creation process. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to do all of this within PTE. :rolleyes:

I find using the Text tool in Photoshop is not real intuitive. Sometimes I can't seem to be able to get back into the editing mode no matter what I do. Then all of a sudden, I do. And I just figured out how to be able to add a second line of text (going to the Paragraph tab). I need more practice....

And thanks again for your PTE instructional AVI.

Gary

Hi Gary,

You should be able to copy anything you see on your screen with a screen copy utility, including the the text in the Object Editor window with font and color already applied.

If you have the freeware Irfanview, just go to Options, Capture Screenshot then use the defalt CTRL F11. After making a cropped selection, then use the Edit Copy - do not close Irfanview but rather minimize it so you can continue with more text without opening and closing the program each time. If you don't have Irfanview you can download here:

http://www.irfanview.com

Just paste the text with color and font already there in the transparent background, crop as desired, use the Photoshop select by color range if amenable to select the background color and the eraser tool to remove the selection. Save as a PNG.

Best regards,

Lin