WnSoft Forums

Rotation in PTE V5

Boogie

In v5 I see I can set in Animation the amount of Rotation, however,

I am trying to rotate a png image around a central point, but I want the image to remain "vertical".

For example: A upright person to stay upright as it rotates around a given point.

I would appreciate any information as to how I can do this.

Thanks

Boogie

In v5 I see I can set in Animation the amount of Rotation, however,

I am trying to rotate a png image around a central point, but I want the image to remain "vertical".

This is quite simple. Place an object (the figure you want to remain upright) on the Main Image (i.e. as a "child" or "sub-object" of the main image. Then move it to where you want it to appear in relation to the Main Image, away from the centre-point of that image.

Create a second key-point for each of the Main Image and the child object - place these new keypoints where you want them to appear on the O/A timeline.

Finally, set the rotation of the main image in one direction (e.g. give the end-keypoint a + value, say 360 degrees), and the rotation of the child object as the same amount but with the opposite sign (e.g. -360 degrees).

There are a couple possibilities. It will be somewhat difficult to get a perfectly smooth circle in one way because you need to keep the center at center. If you move the center by holding down the shift key and dragging the green square in the center your rotation will be perfectly aligned to the center of the PNG, but the object itself will not remain in a fixed orientation vis a vis the head, foot, etc.,

You "could" simply arrange the object along a circular route by placing evenly spaced keypoints in time and simply positioning the object along a circular route and dividing the amount of movement evenly throughout perhaps 30 separate evenly space keypoints. You could do this by drawing a perfect circle with grease pencil on your monitor then simply moving the object at intervals for each keypoint until you inscribe a circle.

This won't be perfectly smooth however.

The second way is superior, but this will take a bit of explanation. You need to create an anchor point by using a couple rectangles or other objects which you will eventually set to zero opacity. You set your object in a child relationship to the second rectangle, the first rectangle as the parent and the second in a child relationship with the first and the object to be rotated in a child relationship with the second rectangle. The center rectangle is set to rotate 360 degrees, the child rectangle to -720 degrees and then you need to set keypoints at 360/0 (start) 90 degrees 180 degrees and 270 degrees and rotate the image to upright at these points. This will keep your object upright.

Rather than try to explain it further, let me just do it and you can get the idea that way... Open the zipped link and look at the construction. Remember that the rectangles would be set to zero opacity at the beginning and the end keypoints. The distance between the rectangles affects the arc of the circle. Just experiment.

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/rotateelk.zip

Best regards,

Lin.

Actually Al's method is much easier and will result in a perfect circle. If you want the ability to adjust the arc of the circle then do it with two rectangles or other objects as I explained in the sample. With this method you can have an elipse of nearly any shape.

The first way I explained is very crude for a circle but you can adjust from a circle to any geometric shape with that method.

Best regards,

Lin

Oh! DEER Lin, what fun. LOL LOL LOL

This is quite simple. Place an object (the figure you want to remain upright) on the Main Image (i.e. as a "child" or "sub-object" of the main image. Then move it to where you want it to appear in relation to the Main Image, away from the centre-point of that image.

Create a second key-point for each of the Main Image and the child object - place these new keypoints where you want them to appear on the O/A timeline.

Finally, set the rotation of the main image in one direction (e.g. give the end-keypoint a + value, say 360 degrees), and the rotation of the child object as the same amount but with the opposite sign (e.g. -360 degrees).

There are some really clever people on this forum!!!

Many thanks to Al and Lin

I will try out both ways, they sound really good and just what I want.

Cheers

Boogie

PS for Tomuk

Excuse my ignorance, what does LOL mean? ?Lots Of Love!!!

Rather than try to explain it further, let me just do it and you can get the idea that way... Open the zipped link and look at the construction. Remember that the rectangles would be set to zero opacity at the beginning and the end keypoints. The distance between the rectangles affects the arc of the circle. Just experiment.

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/rotateelk.zip

Best regards,

Lin.

I have just tried your zip file and it is just what I wanted

Many thanks again - so simple when how know how and you do!!!

Best regards

Boogie

Boogie,

The credit for using a pair of rectangle to describe an ellipse goes to Jean-Pierre who gave an excellent example with a demo of atomic structure. Be sure and read his explanation here:

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....738&hl=Atom

Jean-Pierre has given the forum some of the most wonderful ideas and examples of how to use PicturesToExe version 5's which I've seen. Also search for his examples of the rotating cube! It's outstanding.

Best regards,

Lin

There are some really clever people on this forum!!!

Many thanks to Al and Lin

I will try out both ways, they sound really good and just what I want.

Cheers

Boogie

PS for Tomuk

Excuse my ignorance, what does LOL mean? ?Lots Of Love!!!

Hello Boogie,

Try...Laugh out loud.....but I think your definition is better.

Tom.

So wonderful to have such generous and helpful guys to sort out any queries so quickly on the Forum.

Sending you LOL for Christmas (both types)

Thanks for all the great replies

I know how long it takes to type out answers & mine aren't as good as yours !

Happy Christmas :D

Maureen

I know how long it takes to type out answers & mine aren't as good as yours !

Maureen,

I'll settle for the LOL! :) You help to keep the Forum full of cheer and good will!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to both you and Robert!!