WnSoft Forums

Burn fails when using "include additional files..."

dpearcePNG

I tried some more testing to narrow down the problem.

Using the "include additional files..." option:

A single file small file - Worked

Two folders with a handfull of small files - Worked

Three large files totalling 1 GB - Worked

But if I try to burn 54 folders, 3,000 files totaling 1.6 GB of data, it will fail.

I can only assume it's the directory structure depth or the number of files.

If I have time, I may try to narrow it down farther. Until then, I just burn the DVD folders, then use Nero to create a DVD-Video disk and add my data files to the compilation.

Dave

Dave,

Pure DVD-Video disc should not contains any folders/files except of content of VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS.

However all DVD players during last 5-7 years can play DVD-Video disc with additional files/folders. And many commercial DVD movies contains various files (e.g. "Harry Potter" movie).

I think it's a limitation of DVD-Video standard that allows only some number of files and folders for DVD-Video.

Nero will not allow to add any additional files/folders if you choose create DVD-Video project option.

But please don't create your project as DVD-Data with adding of VIDEO_TS folder, because such disc will not play on many stand-alone DVD players (even modern).

I think we have two distinct questions here:

1) Is it possible to make a "mixed" DVD? Can it be done and does it break any standards?

2) Why does VideoBuilder crash?

My opinion:

1) There seems to be some confusion on this point if you Google around. I could not find any "standards" or limit on the number of files or folders. Most people said either extra folders "will confuse your DVD player" or "your DVD player will ignore" the extra folders.

1a) Nero 6.6.1.4 lets you create a DVD-Video compilation with the additional folders. I just let VideoBuilder create the DVD folders, create a DVD-Video compilation, copy the files VideoBuilder created into the proper folders in the Nero compilation, then add the additional folders to the root of the compilation. A DVD created in this fashion works on my computers (DVD player and PC files) and in my regular DVD player. This is NOT to say it will work in all computers or DVD players. :blink:

2) If VideoBuilder believes I am creating an illogical disc, why crash instead of just warning me? Whether or not it is a "bad" format, the program shouldn't just hang.

Like I said before, I have a work around. I would like to be able to help improve VideoBuilder as much as I can.

Dave

1) Pure DVD-Video disc should not contains other files, but as I said many years all DVD players can play such discs. So you can forget about that old limitation.

1a) Sorry, I was wrong, Nero allows to add additional folders/files to DVD-Video disc.

2) You're right Video Builder shouldn't crash in this case. We'll try to reproduce this situation. Probably it's our bug.

Please try to burn created VIDEO_TS folder with additional files/folders in Nero. How it will work?

BTW: I tried Beta8R and had the same crash.

Please try to burn created VIDEO_TS folder with additional files/folders in Nero. How it will work?

I'm not sure I understand your request. In Nero when you start a DVD-Video compilation, the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders are already created for you so I just copy the files into those folders.

I don't think Nero will created a valid DVD video disc if I use a data mode compilation.

Please explain to this dense person. :P

Dave

Dave,

Please create in Video Builder DVD folders (on output options choose only "Create DVD folders" option). Start Nero, choose create DVD-Video, then add files from VIDEO_TS folder which Video Builder created to Nero. And add your 54 folders and 3000 files as you tried in Video Builder earlier. Will Nero able to burn DVD-Video disc?