WnSoft Forums

PTE in lights

alrobin

Tom got me thinking with his post on how to achieve "glitter", so I did some experimenting, and this is what I came up with. It's a rough "quick and dirty" solution. (see project files, attached) :)

I know it - I'll never be able to call myself a "purist" again, but I couldn't help it! The Devil made me do it! :)

glitter_Feb9_2007.zip

It's a rough "quick and dirty" solution. (see project files, attached) :)

I know it - I'll never be able to call myself a "purist" again, but I couldn't help it! The Devil made me do it! :)

Quick and effectivewould seem more accurate, Al. Great look! But now you are under obligation to come up with the sequence to go with it. :D Innovative thinking must be in bloom up your way.

Hi Al,

I think you are the new glitter and sparkle guru. I would have never thought to use 2 wheels rotating in opposite directions as a mask for the white background. Where did you come up with an idea like that? It works very well.

Thanks for showing me other ways to create glitter. :)

:lol: . You're welcome, Tom! :lol:

I don't know - I had the idea to use a rotating wheel under the letters with holes punched in both, but that didn't work, as I could see the motion of the lights underneath, in one predominant direction. Also, it took a while before I finally found the coarse grain filter for the letters. If you apply it over and over a few times, the grains grow larger, until they are the size that works best.

I did the same thing with the underlying rotating wheel, and then put in the one in the other direction underneath to counteract the motion, and also give the sparkle some further randomness. I set the bottom one rotating slightly slower than the first one, to further reduce the possibility of a repeat over the length of the cycle.

I'll try to work on some more "wheels" to produce different intensities of glitter. :)

But now you are under obligation to come up with the sequence to go with it. :D Innovative thinking must be in bloom up your way.

Thanks, Robert!

Funny you should mention that - a week or so ago I was out skiing on a cold sunny but frosty morning, and the fresh fluffy snow was glittering so much that I thought it would be nice if it could be captured in a sequence. Now, I'll have to go out and photograph some material for it. :)

Al, For a "quick and dirty" attempt it's really very effective - interesting variations are possible if you change the white background gif for a different colour or even mutlicoloured stripes and make it rotate.

Al, For a "quick and dirty" attempt it's really very effective - interesting variations are possible if you change the white background gif for a different colour or even mutlicoloured stripes and make it rotate.

Thanks, Kieth!

There are loads of possibilities, and it is so simple to execute, after experimenting a bit. :)

Nice demo Al and no need of explanation :)

Well done.

Thanks, JP. Not nearly as much work as some of your amazing demos! And I didn't need to use a spreadsheet, either! :)

I was wondering if putting the mask wheel slots at right angles to each other would make the flash appear motionless. One wheel would have slots in a radial direction and the other wheel would have slots in a circular direction. Too many possibilities.

You're right, many possibilities! This is more fun than "Tinker-Toys"!! :)

That's a good suggestion. It's hard to make an action appear random, however, without something random to start with, like random noise speckles.

I revised the original project to include two other versions, using smaller flashes of light - the file size is larger (~600 Kb), so I posted it and the "exe" file (~800 k) to my web site at:

- project version: http://www.alrobinson.com/glitter-3_Feb-09-2007.zip

- exe version: http://www.alrobinson.com/glitter-3-exe.zip

Please feel free to rip it apart and experiment with other ways of achieving a good "glitter". Meanwhile, I'll start working on the glittering snow-show. :)

And if the current presentation was "static" glitter, we would be seeking to give it "motion." :D

Isn't that an "oxymoron"?? :lol:

AL

http://www.alrobinson.com/glitter-3_Feb-09-2007.zip

=

The page cannot be found---------------------------------------

Thanks, Ken, for the heads-up!

I put the wrong file up - sorry for the inconvenience to those who tried to download it.

It should work OK now. :)

Hi Al,

Very nice effect. With a bit more time you could probably create a Christmas tree with sparkling lights. Add a couple of Lin's snow globes and we could have a novel PTE Christmas at the end of this year.

There's so much fun to be had with PTE I can't imagine how folk find the time if they have to work as well! <_<

Peter