WnSoft Forums

Internet speed today?

LumenLux

My internet traffic is terribly slow today. The slowdown does not seem to be limited to our PTE forum, but that is where I most frequent and therefor notice. Is anyone else finding similar problems today? I don't want to waste time diagnosing my system if the problem is widespread or beyond me.

Thanks guys.

I was not aware Ken of that resource. I had thought there should be something like that, but I had never heard of it.

Since posting the problem, I have decided my problem has been a combination of things. Including genuine slow internet to me today. But also, Spybot Search & Destroy found and "fixed" 42 instances of spyware-type problems on this PC. The worst part is that I think they all re-install each time I re-boot. :angry:

Thanks guys.

I was not aware Ken of that resource. I had thought there should be something like that, but I had never heard of it.

Since posting the problem, I have decided my problem has been a combination of things. Including genuine slow internet to me today. But also, Spybot Search & Destroy found and "fixed" 42 instances of spyware-type problems on this PC. The worst part is that I think they all re-install each time I re-boot. :angry:

Hi Bob,

Looks as if you have an infected Home or Search Page or a rogue BHO Helper Object in your Browser.

These things are very difficult to remove as they reside down in the IE.Kernel and are usually hidden

away from the usual Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware Programs and usually 'auto-boot' from Memory on Startup.

The following Program will get rid of it (link below):-

http://www.zamaansoft.com/index.php

Its called "Zamaans HiJack Retaliator" ~ I have found it to be much better than Microsofts Defender.

It lives in your Browser and it 'detects' ANY script changes and blocks them and restores the Browser.

It tells you of any attempted changes to your Browser amongst many other "hidden" things it detects.

Brian.Conflow.

Over the years Brian, I have taken much good direction from you here in this forum. This recent help ranks in the high appreciation category. :D

The "retaliator" seems to have taken care of all but one intruder. I am running much better now. The one intruder that apparently still loads at boot-up is "Avenue A". Sybot Search and Destroy finds it and "fixes" it but it returns on re-boot. It may be that "retaliator" may be able to solve that too if I learn better how to use it. Thank you for the tip, and thank you to the software authors as Zamaansoft.

Over the years Brian, I have taken much good direction from you here in this forum. This recent help ranks in the high appreciation category. :D

The "retaliator" seems to have taken care of all but one intruder. I am running much better now. The one intruder that apparently still loads at boot-up is "Avenue A". Sybot Search and Destroy finds it and "fixes" it but it returns on re-boot. It may be that "retaliator" may be able to solve that too if I learn better how to use it. Thank you for the tip, and thank you to the software authors as Zamaansoft.

Bob,

The article below is from another Forum--------------------------------------------------------------------

Avenue A's product, Atlas DMT, is a third party ad server that many advertisers use to serve their advertisements. Users who have cookies disabled, or have aggressive anti-virus software, may receive a notification of a cookie from Avenue A being downloaded. This cookie is used simply to track the performance of ads being served by Atlas DMT. For more information, you can visit the privacy policy page of Atlas DMT:

http://www.atlasdmt.com/privacy....... 'Avenue A' is not malicious, its just downright intrusive..

I also use 'Spybot' but I use its "Immunisation Utility" solely to immunise my Browser against these invasions of Privacy. May I suggest that you configure SpyBot thus:- "Please Immunise" and let it download X Marked Files Directory and then press "Check Again".... That will block 'Avenue A'

Finally when you open your Browser go up to "Tools" -->Internet Options-->Delete Cookies-->Delete Files, now (cold) restart your PC and that removes their resident cookie and allows SpyBot to block any further attempts to download, the same applies to Zamaan Software.

Apologies to all for the 'Off-Forum Post' but these things can be a real annoyance to the sufferer !

Brian.Conflow.