WnSoft Forums

Original mode and object size changes

Peter S

I have been experimenting with "Original mode" and "Fit to screen mode" and have found something I find a bit strange. I would love to know if anyone can explain why this happens.

Here is my experiment:

Place 2 objects on a background in Photoshop and draw an arrow to fit exactly between them.

Save the objects and background as a jpeg.

Crop the arrow against a transparent background and save it as a PNG.

Use the objects and background as a slide and then add the arrow in Objects and Animation, sizeing the arrow to fit exactly between the objects as in the original Photoshop picture.

You can do this regardless of whether you make the arrow a child of the original slide or an independent object.

You can also do it regardless of whether the Mode for the arrow is "Original" or "Fit to slide".

Here's the catch - If you now burn a DVD the version with Mode "Original" gives an arrow that does not fill the gap between the objects. The version with Mode "Fit to slide" is OK.

I only found this after puzzling for ages as to why my diagrams did not come out on the DVD as they look in the preview.

Sorry I cannot demonstrate this with a posted file but it is only apparent when you produce the DVD and watch it on a TV screen.

Peter

Guest Techman1

Peter,

I too had discovered this problem back in September. Like you, I found that if I used the "Fit to Screen" mode and not the "Original" mode that the DVD produced the results that I was seeing on the screen. Here is a link to my message to Igor back then.

Original Message Here

Igor recommended back then to just use the "Fit to Screen" mode, so I use it for everything as I never know when I will be creating a DVD. For me, generally everything created will potentially become a DVD, so this is important to me. I couldn't find Igor's message regarding this here on the forum, so it must have been via email. Maybe he can update us on this.

Regards,

Fred

Guest Techman1

Peter,

I found Igor's email from before, but was unable to find his reference on the forum here. Here's his comment back to me regarding this issue:

Subject: Re: PTE DVD Problem - Via Forum from Fred

Dear Fred,

If you use "Original size" mode it's a reason of this problem.

I wrote on the forum that it's a bad mode. Only "Fit to slide"

and "Cover slide" provides equal result in EXE and in DVD, for example.

Fred

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the reply. I had searched the forum and was unable to find anything on this topic. I am not sure why the "Original size" mode is still there if Igor thinks it is "a bad mode". Perhaps he is planning to turn it into a "good mode" one day. :D

Peter

I am not sure why the "Original size" mode is still there if Igor thinks it is "a bad mode". Perhaps he is planning to turn it into a "good mode" one day.

I suspect Igor is leaving it there for those whose intention is only to make pc-based slideshows, and want the images to be the same size as the originals.

Burning of DVD for a project that contains images in "Original size" mode illustrates problem of "Original size" mode. It's exactly that what user will see if he runs this slideshow on a laptop with 1600x1200 screen resolution. In DVD this problem occurs because we render video in 4x larger size for better quality of picture on DVD-Video (and post processing and post filters).