WnSoft Forums

Helicopter Simulation

Lin Evans

To quote a famous PTE user "LOL" !

WOW is again the operative word for your animation. Watching the chopper I was thinking it was perfect except that the grass ought to move. Then whoa, you do "move" the grass. I should have known. I think it does bring up an interesting thought though - As we use animation to imitate movement in a real scene - Does the fact that we use some minor animation cause the viewer to require or expect more? I think it once again comes back to the author needing to decide what he is trying to accomplish in any given instance.

That's a good question. I think sometimes it definitely does raise expectations and sometimes it's not feasible to do a really good simulation of reality. I think that's why animated movies often don't try to do more than "simulate" a modicum of reallity - just enough to let our imagination do the rest. For example, moving the grass in a realistic manner "can" be done, but I didn't do it. It would take far too many resources and too much time to do it correctly - at least as far as I know how to do it. So sometimes the animator would be smart not to use certain backdrops, etc., It would have been far easier to land the helicopter on a rocky mountain top and perhaps just stir up some dust - but not having a suitable image handy made me lazy and I settled for less than good... But it did give me something to play with this afternoon while dreaming of what beta 9 might bring!!

Best regards,

Lin

To quote a famous PTE user "LOL" !

WOW is again the operative word for your animation. Watching the chopper I was thinking it was perfect except that the grass ought to move. Then whoa, you do "move" the grass. I should have known. I think it does bring up an interesting thought though - As we use animation to imitate movement in a real scene - Does the fact that we use some minor animation cause the viewer to require or expect more? I think it once again comes back to the author needing to decide what he is trying to accomplish in any given instance.