WnSoft Forums

Burning DVD with PTE

b3zqx68

I've downloaded the PTE Beta 8u version and made some slideshows. They look great when running on a PC with the EXE files. But when I burn them to a DVD using the "Create DVD disc" feature, the video quality can't really compare to those produced by the EXE files, which are much better. In theory they should all be 720 x 480 DVD quality. But Al mentioned in one of his posts saying that the method of burning DVD used in this Beta 8u is the same as the released version 4.xx which is for SVCD. If this is the case, would this PTE built-in DVD burning engine only produce SVCD quality video?

I am thinking about using a third party DVD burner. I am not sure if that could produce better results. Clicking at the "Create AVI file", I could see a lot more choices available including "HD-1080" and "HD-1280x720p". Has anyone used the HD options and what third party DVD burner would best support those? Thanks.

KevinW

Of course, DVD can't be compared with quality of EXE file on 1280x1024 screen!

DVD has 720x480, but it is additionally interlaced and slight vertical blur to prevent flickering on TV.

HD-DVD or Blu-Ray will be perfect solution when war of HD standards will finish.

Of course, DVD can't be compared with quality of EXE file on 1280x1024 screen!

DVD has 720x480, but it is additionally interlaced and slight vertical blur to prevent flickering on TV.

HD-DVD or Blu-Ray will be perfect solution when war of HD standards will finish.

Hi Igor,

Thanks for the comments. But how do we explain the fact that a movie DVD rented from Blockbuster would produce better quality than the one that is produced by the PTE burner (or anybody's burner for that matter), assuming both are running the same 720x480 resolution? I must be missing something.

Cheers

KevinW

Kevin,

(PicturesToExe v5.00 + VideoBuilder)

I find that on slide shows where no Pan/Zoom effects we have quality better than in commercial DVD movies.

With Pan/Zoom effects commercial discs a little better, but it happens because companies use high quality slow encoders and probably manual controls for fine adjusting.

Kevin -Welcome to the forum. :)

Judging from this being your second post, I "guess" you may be new to PTE? Or you may be a seasoned pro with it. I only mention that because years ago, when some of us tried DVD's for our PTE shows, I personally decided the quality did not justify the effort in most cases. It was "fun", but the sacrifice of quality was just too much. Since that time, DVD software has come a long way and especially PTE has come a long way with the "for DVD" function. Now, at this very moment, I think the quality of PTE to DVD/PTE is excellent. I know "excellent" is personal judgement and can't be precisely quantified. But I "think" most PTE users who have used and do use several different DVD production programs, find the quality of PTE's Video Builder (DVD) to be better quality picture than any other software. If there are variations of that opinion, certainly we will hear other sincere appraisals here. One other point of comparison I will point out - I see very many"wedding videos". In most cases these include video camera footage and nice still photography or snapshots. Depending on the producer's talent, the camcorder footage looks really nice but the video presentation of the still photography is more similar to YouTube than to the quality of PTE! I hope this opinion is helpful. Good luck.

Kevin -Welcome to the forum. :)

Judging from this being your second post, I "guess" you may be new to PTE? Or you may be a seasoned pro with it. I only mention that because years ago, when some of us tried DVD's for our PTE shows, I personally decided the quality did not justify the effort in most cases. It was "fun", but the sacrifice of quality was just too much. Since that time, DVD software has come a long way and especially PTE has come a long way with the "for DVD" function. Now, at this very moment, I think the quality of PTE to DVD/PTE is excellent. I know "excellent" is personal judgement and can't be precisely quantified. But I "think" most PTE users who have used and do use several different DVD production programs, find the quality of PTE's Video Builder (DVD) to be better quality picture than any other software. If there are variations of that opinion, certainly we will hear other sincere appraisals here. One other point of comparison I will point out - I see very many"wedding videos". In most cases these include video camera footage and nice still photography or snapshots. Depending on the producer's talent, the camcorder footage looks really nice but the video presentation of the still photography is more similar to YouTube than to the quality of PTE! I hope this opinion is helpful. Good luck.

Thank Igor and LumenLux for sharing the info with me. Yes, I am a new member to this forum. I guess I just had too high of expectation about DVD quality. I will try to make a PTE project with still images only and see if the quality would improve. I will share my findings with you guys.

Just change the topic a bit. When will the official version 5 be released? Currently I am running the beta 8u, i.e, PicturesToExe v5.00 + VideoBuilder. With this beta version, I can only do 10 images. If I purchase ($24) the current official release which is 4.48, the 10 images limitioan is lifted. But do I need to install this official 4.48 on top of the beta 8u? What will happen when the free trial expires, would it be reduced back to the 4.48 features only? I assume v4.48 does not include Video Builder and Pan and Zoom.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Kevin

Keven, with the paid versions you can presently be running both V4.48 and V5 Betas on the same machine. If you purchase now you are buying Version 4.48 but you can continue to use V5 Betas. I'm quite sure Version 5 Final ( with pan, zoom, etc. will be a free upgrade when it is ready. My recollection is that Video Builder will be included at a slight extra cost. Those who feel they have no need for Video Builder won't have to buy it, but I expect most users of PTE will want to have Video Builder too. Video Builder is a direct result of requests from PTE users who have such great confidence in Igor's approach to software.