WnSoft Forums

Correct image size for DVD to display on standard NTSC (4:3) screen?

mhwarner

While I am pleased to say that I was able to burn a 450-slide, approximately 20 minute slideshow to DVD without a single hitch, I was a little disappointed to see that the show did not fit on my standard TV screen. It fit top to bottom (just barely), but the sides were cut off. I had the impression, possibly a misunderstanding, from what I have been reading, that the new video builder would fit it to the size/ratio selected.

Some details: Under Project Options on the "Screen" tab, under "Aspect Ratio" of a slide I have "4:30 PC/DVD" selected. I also selected 4:3 for the menu under the DVD options. My slides are 1023x698 (I know maybe an odd size and definitely not 4:3, but a re-size from my 8mp camera with "maintain aspect ratio" plus some pixels added for a white border). In any case, the result I expected was that the slide would fit the screen horizontally/left to right and would have a black border at the top and bottom. Did I do something wrong or pick and incorrect setting, or do I have to be sure that my slides for a DVD to fit on a standard screen are no more than 720 pixels in width? I did check my DVD player setup and it was correctly set for a standard TV at 4:3.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

While I am pleased to say that I was able to burn a 450-slide, approximately 20 minute slideshow to DVD without a single hitch, I was a little disappointed to see that the show did not fit on my standard TV screen. It fit top to bottom (just barely), but the sides were cut off. I had the impression, possibly a misunderstanding, from what I have been reading, that the new video builder would fit it to the size/ratio selected.

Some details: Under Project Options on the "Screen" tab, under "Aspect Ratio" of a slide I have "4:30 PC/DVD" selected. I also selected 4:3 for the menu under the DVD options. My slides are 1023x698 (I know maybe an odd size and definitely not 4:3, but a re-size from my 8mp camera with "maintain aspect ratio" plus some pixels added for a white border). In any case, the result I expected was that the slide would fit the screen horizontally/left to right and would have a black border at the top and bottom. Did I do something wrong or pick and incorrect setting, or do I have to be sure that my slides for a DVD to fit on a standard screen are no more than 720 pixels in width? I did check my DVD player setup and it was correctly set for a standard TV at 4:3.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

if you are making a show for tv it is best to forget about fancy borders -- if the borders were there you would likely have wiggles/jaggies on the right verticals

if you use forum search for jaggies there are many entries

ken