WnSoft Forums

Some PTE Installation Issues

jevans

I have three version of PTE installed at present ; Version 4.48, Version 5 Beta 8s and Version 5 Beta 9. Looking in the control Panel, "Add/Remove Programs" you can only see the latter two versions, plus a Version 5, Beta #6, which I believe was actually overwritten by Beta 8s. Version 4.48 is not listed.

When each of these versions was downloaded from Wnsoft, the file was "apr.zip". To make sure which version was which, I have renamed these files to include their version number. When unzipped, each version file has the same contents and the installation file is always "apr.exe".

The last Beta version to be installed is installed in "C:\Program Files\WnSoft PicturesToExe" and the executable file is still "apr.exe".

Maybe it might be a good idea if the downloadable file name, the installation file name and the final executable file names were all different and contained the version number. In addition to the "Add/Remove Programs" facility in the control panel, I use a number of system information programs to check what software is installed/running. One of these "jv16tools" has a very good facility for checking out the installed software base. This program failed to recognise the installation of the latest version of PTE. Maybe this is due to duplicate file names.

Jeff

I have three version of PTE installed at present ; Version 4.48, Version 5 Beta 8s and Version 5 Beta 9. Looking in the control Panel, "Add/Remove Programs" you can only see the latter two versions

G'day Jeff

I also have 3 versions installed and in the add/remove list Version 4.48 is not listed. The other 2 are beter5 and 9a.

Maybe it might be a good idea if the down-loadable file name, the installation file name and the final executable file names were all different and contained the version number.

This is a good idea for many reasons, among them to prevent confusion of archived .ZIP files. Also I have just noted the default installation folder name now contains the version number.

There is a problem with unique file names. Many software catalogues publish download URL on their web sites. When new version published:

1) If we keep old files (e.g. pte448.zip), visitors of those website will download old version of PicturesToExe

2) If we delete old file, visitors will not able to download the file at all.

It's a know problem and I'm afraid there is no one good solution.

I recommend you rename ZIP archive after downloading and probably it will solve this problem.

Since v5.00 beta 9 each version of PicturesToExe installs to separate folder and can be uninstalled individually from Add/Install list in Control Panel.

There is a problem with unique file names. Many software catalogues publish download URL on their web sites. When new version published:

1) If we keep old files (e.g. pte448.zip), visitors of those website will download old version of PicturesToExe

2) If we delete old file, visitors will not able to download the file at all.

It's a know problem and I'm afraid there is no one good solution.

I recommend you rename ZIP archive after downloading and probably it will solve this problem.

Since v5.00 beta 9 each version of PicturesToExe installs to separate folder and can be uninstalled individually from Add/Install list in Control Panel.

Thanks for the reply Igor. That is quite an acceptable solution and the ability to recognise different versions in the control Panel window helps to keep control of the various versions.

Jeff