WnSoft Forums

Text within O&A

JEB

Folks,

I have recently completed a short show on my desktop in Beta 9A in which I have made use of the text facility within Objects and Animations.

I created a .pte file and then played it on my laptop. Unfortunately a totally different font has replaced the font that I used on my desktop. I notice that my laptop does not have the original font so presumably this is the reason.

Surely this is a limitation.

Presumably if we wish to ensure that the correct font is displayed on any PC other than the one that created the show we will have to revert back to Photoshop.

Can someone please verify?

Thanks

John

PS Hope you are all enjoying this wonderful programme as much as I am.

Actually, it's not a linitation of the program at all, it's a limitation of the font features of the computer. Each computer is shipped with so many default fonts. When yu go from operating system to operating system or when you add software containing fonts this number or quantiy and type of fonts changes. Because of this it's not possible to be certain that the font you choose will be available on another computer.

When you suspect this may become an issue, the best way is to convert the font to a graphic file via the rasterize to PNG function. By doing this then choosing the PNG file you assure that the font you have chosen will appear exactly as you intend even if no such font exists on the computer it's being played on.

Fonts have always been a problem for not only slideshows but for other programs using text. Computers are designed so that when a particular font isn't found, the operating system will substitute a different font. Fortunately, PTE has a nice way around that limitation via the rasterize to PNG feature. If you want to avoid this, it's best to stay with very "common" fonts such as Times Roman, Arial, etc.

Lin

Folks,

I have recently completed a short show on my desktop in Beta 9A in which I have made use of the text facility within Objects and Animations.

I created a .pte file and then played it on my laptop. Unfortunately a totally different font has replaced the font that I used on my desktop. I notice that my laptop does not have the original font so presumably this is the reason.

Surely this is a limitation.

Presumably if we wish to ensure that the correct font is displayed on any PC other than the one that created the show we will have to revert back to Photoshop.

Can someone please verify?

Thanks

John

PS Hope you are all enjoying this wonderful programme as much as I am.

So the answer John's question:

"Presumably if we wish to ensure that the correct font is displayed on any PC other than the one that created the show we will have to revert back to Photoshop. "

is YES - unless you only use commonly available fonts such as Arial, Times Roman etc.

We cannot expect PTE to offer the vast array of options and effects available in Photoshop for manipulating text so this is just a case of "horses fort courses". If you want fancy fonts and fancy effects you make them in Photoshop or Xara 3D etc. If you are content with "common" fonts and somewhat limited effects that are very easy to apply use what's available in PTE.

I noticed that fonts that I assume are identified as "Open type" by an O in Photoshop also have a different symbol in PTE (looks like a monitor) but I am not sure of its significance.

Peter

Folks,

Thank you all for your input.

I have tried it out this morning and it works fine. It is certainly better than having to go into PS and then import the PNG.

Igor, I'm sure we are all looking forward to your future solution, but this work-around can be lived with for the present. We don't want to distract you from your immediate tasks.

While I have your attention, thank you and your team for the wonderful work you are doing.

Regards

John