WnSoft Forums

Autorun Problem

Okay, we've never had a client with this problem before and just discovered that on our newest computer, which is not a VISTA computer is having this same trouble.

When when put in a slide show to auto play from the CD, it works (auto plays) in all our other machines, but for some reason on the newest machine, it doesn't autoplay. We had a client that came up with this problem as well and her machine is pretty new too. Our newest was purchased last November, but like I said all the other machines (five of them) auto play just fine.

Anyone know what the issue might be, because I am stumped.

I thought maybe it was that stupid pop up window that comes up when a CD is put in which says, what do you want to do? Who came up with that ingnorant window anyway? It's been nothing but a pain in my butt with these XP machines. I can tell it not to show up ever again, yet it does anyway.

Whatever, but that doesn't seem to be the problem because the P2E slide shows autorun on my XP machine fine, just not Randy's machine or this clients unless we go explore the CD and run it manually.

The autorun feature has probably been disabled in the Registry. Go here for instructions:

http://www.soniacoleman.com/FAQs/FAQ00158.htm

Lin

Okay, we've never had a client with this problem before and just discovered that on our newest computer, which is not a VISTA computer is having this same trouble.

When when put in a slide show to auto play from the CD, it works (auto plays) in all our other machines, but for some reason on the newest machine, it doesn't autoplay. We had a client that came up with this problem as well and her machine is pretty new too. Our newest was purchased last November, but like I said all the other machines (five of them) auto play just fine.

Anyone know what the issue might be, because I am stumped.

I thought maybe it was that stupid pop up window that comes up when a CD is put in which says, what do you want to do? Who came up with that ingnorant window anyway? It's been nothing but a pain in my butt with these XP machines. I can tell it not to show up ever again, yet it does anyway.

Whatever, but that doesn't seem to be the problem because the P2E slide shows autorun on my XP machine fine, just not Randy's machine or this clients unless we go explore the CD and run it manually.

When I made our autorun files a very long time ago. I made them very simple, especially since we make a lot of them and my husband is not terribly literate in this kind of stuff. I made them just so he could drag and drop and be done with it.

Our non-expiring CD's are all named Start and that's what the autorun file is named.

Our expiring CD's are all named Expire and that's what those autorun files are named.

Sometimes it's just too much fun making things easy for all those in the office to use. :)

Sheila

I cannot run exe file from CD because of internet security software so my autorun CD won't work unless I disable this first.

(sorry if I have picked up your question wrong) but it might just be worth checking.

David

I haven't been up to the office yet to try out the first suggestion, but I think that may fix the problem on both computers from what I'm understanding from my client and from what my husband's description is on his computer. I get the feeling something is turned off, that should be turned on and this was a new one on me.

I definitely know it's not an internet security software problem and I won't even tell you why. But, it is a really good suggestion.

Are your Clients able to RUN any other CDs with Autorun.inf ... install programs etc ?

As noted from Microsoft:

"The Autorun.inf file and the programs that the Autorun.inf file is designed to run may not run if you are logged on to Windows XP as a user without either Power User or Administrator rights.

By default, only users who are logged on to Windows XP with Power User or Administrator rights are allowed to install software. In Windows XP, files that have an .inf extension are considered to be setup information files. As a result, the Autorun.inf file does not run if you do not have Power User or Administrator rights."

Basically the Autorun.inf acts as a setup installation flag in XP ... even though the user is not actually installing any programs, XP wont run that inf file if the user does not have the proper permission.

--------------------

Easy test to see if your Client has permission to RUN a Autorun.inf file :

Browse the CD and right-click the Autorun.inf file from Explorer. If the right-click pop up menu does not have Install in its options ... proper permission is the most likely issue.