WnSoft Forums

DVD Image Quality

Dougall

Images burned to DVD when played back are much softer than the originals. I've used both Video Builder and Pinnacle Studio to burn them - same result. Any suggestions as to how to improve the sharpness would be apppreciated.

Doug

Without actually seeing them, it's very difficult to make suggestions. Essentially DVD, whether PAL or NTSC format are low resolution not even reaching 800x600 (SVGA) standards so will never look like an original. But in addition to low resolution, when they are displayed on a computer monitor they rarely if ever look as good as when displayed on a television. So more specific information is needed to really answer your question.

Best regards,

Lin

Images burned to DVD when played back are much softer than the originals. I've used both Video Builder and Pinnacle Studio to burn them - same result. Any suggestions as to how to improve the sharpness would be apppreciated.

Doug

The introduction of Video Builder (in PTE) has much improved the quality of DVD's over the competition but it is still not quite good enough I fear. I am aware that it will never match the quality of an exe file played on a computer monitor but I am sure that there must be a way of tweaking the settings in Video builder in order to maximise the final quality when played back on a television set.

Has anyone come up with the 'Optimal Settings' yet?

Ron

Doug

I have found that I have to way oversharpen the images - they look terrible when viewed on a high quality computer monitor - but look fine when viewed on a television monitor. Try downloading my actions from the 'Optimise File Size for DVD' thread in this forum. Even if you don't use the actions, you can get some sense of the sharpening needed.

Another reason for lack of clarity could be if you are using images which are much too large. You need to be using images which are very close to the desired output size initially to avoid over resampling.

Another reason for lack of clarity could be if you are using images which are much too large. You need to be using images which are very close to the desired output size initially to avoid over resampling.

Hi Carol,

Using small images can often prove to be a reason why such images 'pixelate' when using the zooming feature of version 5.

If you intend to zoom into an image during a slide show, it is essential to use larger images.

Ron

Ah, I very rarely zoom in and out - when you're putting together a 500 shot wedding slideshow, all the bride wants to see is the full image, nothing too fancy - and I wouldn't really care for the amount of time to individualise every single shot for a DVD.

Carol

i just completed a show -- 301 slides of a roadrace and nearly every pict had to be zoomed/positioned and runners placement, bib # and name added to all runner slides

very difficult as i was shooting directly into sun with 2 cameras and i had many shadows to overcome and colour of text also had to be changed to suit background of every slide

28.22 RUN TIME/8 mp3's

ken

Carol

it took me 7 days

i included the "running time" just for general info pertaining to show

So for around 600 images that would be around 10 days - I would have to charge a fortune for that then :blink:

"bride wants to see is the full image" doesnt the groom have any say:)

ken

Not if she wants to start out married life in the correct way :P