WnSoft Forums

No Midi Playback

n.mcarthur

Minstral,

Forgive me, but this is a "Wildcard Question".....You say (quoted)..We are currently using version 4.46 and..."some people are expereincing issues playing MIDI files" and..."Media player will play MIDI files on their computer.

What are we talking about here ? One Computer ~or~ Many Computers ?

Can you be more specific in your question, or give more details, then I am sure many Members can offer solutions to your problem, but your question as posted is like asking "How long is a piece of string"...

No offence meant.

Brian.Conflow.

Minstral,

Forgive me, but this is a "Wildcard Question".....You say (quoted)..We are currently using version 4.46 and..."some people are expereincing issues playing MIDI files" and..."Media player will play MIDI files on their computer.

What are we talking about here ? One Computer ~or~ Many Computers ?

Can you be more specific in your question, or give more details, then I am sure many Members can offer solutions to your problem, but your question as posted is like asking "How long is a piece of string"...

No offence meant.

Brian.Conflow.

That is correct WE are MANY ! We have 30 odd licenses as teachers use this for class in a school. Some users have the problem whilst others don't. It is not computer dependant or user dependent as there is no pattern I can see eg.

If User A's project works on computer 1(Midi files play fine) and User B whose project dosen't work on computer 2, then logs in to computer A User B's project will not work.

If user A then logs back into computer 1 their project will no longer work.

I will test the upgrage to 4.48 as the other user suggested.

Minstral

keep in mind that midi files will not work oin a vcd/svcd/dvd -- it is computer dependant sound

also

the other sound cards where the midi will not play may not have midi turned on

i have a creative sound card and the control settings look like these 2 screen shots

ken

post-16-1186612690_thumb.jpg

post-16-1186612713_thumb.jpg

I will test the upgrage to 4.48.............<snip>

Minstral it may be wise to upgrade to the current version, v5, as a new music player was added to v5.00. This may or may not have some bearing on your problem but would be worth the effort to have v5 of PTE. If you don't need the built-in video burner component of v5 deluxe there is no cost for the upgrade.

Minstral it may be wise to upgrade to the current version, v5, as a new music player was added to v5.00. This may or may not have some bearing on your problem but would be worth the effort to have v5 of PTE. If you don't need the built-in video burner component of v5 deluxe there is no cost for the upgrade.

Unfortunately, I can't upgrade to 5.0 at this point as students are half way through their semester's work, Yes next semester I will look at the upgrade to 5.0. but until then the smaller the changes the better.

Thanks all for your assitance.

Minstral,

Many thanks for the reply, now let me see if I have this analysis correct:-

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Show-Y is running on PC1 and is OK

Show-Z is running on PC2 and is XX

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now PC2 ~LogsOn~ to PC.1 and attempts to run their Show-Z on PC1 and it is again XX

Now PC1 ~ReLogs~ and find that their origional working Show-Y....IS NOW XX

1) Analysis:-

You have a 'Program Corruption' or a 'Virus' on PC2 which is wiping out your good PC1 and its Show-Y

2) Question:-

How are you 'Loading' the Show-Z on to PC1....is it via a School Network or from a Disc or Memory Device ? Need Answer

3) Recommendation

Because you have a 'Global-Problem' and so many Licences I would recommend that you make a simple "Test Show" with 4/5 Images and a Midi-File (known to be good) ~ make this on an external Computer

and burn it to a CD-Disc or to a Floppy.

* DO NOT use a Memory Pen for this job as it can be written to by an infected PC.

* If a Floppy make sure its Locked and keep size below 1.2mB.

4) Now do This

* Test CD/Floppy for functionality. Now check every PC in the School and "mark" those that won't play it.

* Should this Disc/Floppy work on all PCs' then you have an 'incorrect' Set-Up with the PTE Program.

This method will not cause any semester disruptions ~ Let me know how you get on ?

Brian.Conflow.

P.S This is a common problem in Schools when students bring in Media and play it on School PC's !!!

Minstral,

Many thanks for the reply, now let me see if I have this analysis correct:-

Show-Y is running on PC1 and is OK

Show-Z is running on PC2 and is XX

Now PC2 ~LogsOn~ to PC.1 and attempts to run their Show-Z on PC1 and it is again XX

Now PC1 ~ReLogs~ and find that their origional working Show-Y....IS NOW XX

1) Analysis:-

You have a 'Program Corruption' or a 'Virus' on PC2 which is wiping out your good PC1 and its Show-Y

2) Question:-

How are you 'Loading' the Show-Z on to PC1....is it via a School Network or from a Disc or Memory Device ? Need Answer

3) Recommendation

Because you have a 'Global-Problem' and so many Licences I would recommend that you make a simple "Test Show" with 4/5 Images and a Midi-File (known to be good) ~ make this on an external Computer

and burn it to a CD-Disc or to a Floppy.

* DO NOT use a Memory Pen for this job as it can be written to by an infected PC.

* If a Floppy make sure its Locked and keep size below 1.2mB.

4) Now do This

* Test CD/Floppy for functionality. Now check every PC in the School and "mark" those that won't play it.

* Should this Disc/Floppy work on all PCs' then you have an 'incorrect' Set-Up with the PTE Program.

This method will not cause any semester disruptions ~ Let me know how you get on ?

Brian.Conflow.

P.S This is a common problem in Schools when students bring in Media and play it on School PC's !!!

Thanks for your suggestions.

Student's create all their projects on their personal Network Drive (H Drive) . And the music files are linked from a seperate drive. Sometimes R Drive or they copy them to H drive and link them there.

The strange thind is that Other Music Type's DO play, And Midi files Do play through Other Software players on those computers.

I'll try these suggestions and let you know how I go.

Minstral,

We are getting somewhere with this problem and apart from any "Defective Files" you appear to have a:

- Program Management Problem -

1)

It is an absolute requirement that all 'PTE Show Media' MUST be contained within a Root Folder.Thats ALL Images and Music Tracks and other Media, and most important copies of 'Remote Media' must be contained within that Folder. (I will explain later)

2)

The Students use "Drive H" as the (main) PTE Program Source Drive and "Drive J"as a remote access source of their other Media such as Midi Music.

3)

Any "Solitary PC" will go to the appropriate Files or Folders or HD or Remote HD and extract all Media and run a Show as a *pte File. Because all Materials are somewhere on that PC the System is guided to those sources by a *pte File which appears within the Root Folder as:- Icon Apr (clk-on properties).

4)

When you try to run this Show as a Non-Exe File on another PC (even if it contains a *pte File) it won't work because the new Host PC will not be able to find the Media because it doesn't exist within a Root Folder on its HD and quite simply it cant recognise this alien *pte File (with lost Files) and most likely it will "hang itself".

(Black Screen - Violation of Rule.1)

5)

Worse still~ this crippled *pte File will attempt to 'overwrite' any existing *pte File on the New Host because the PC thinks its a new 'work-in-progress'.

(No doubt the origional overwritten *pte File wasn't "Saved As"..in the 1st instance, so its lost also)

Note

The *pte File contains Data Instructions as to the location of ALL Show Media and works as a type of compiler to 'fetch-all' for the Show to operate within the PTE Program. Its a 'work-in-progress' File (File size<20kB)

Note

Now when an Exe File is made this contains ALL Media within itself and works as a 'Self-Extracting Archive' so the Show will work on any PC's ~ thats quite different to the *pte File above.

Note

Students should ALWAYS make a Template of their Project and that Folder can be freely exchanged and edited without Administrator permissions for the Network which would be required for an Exe File.

Note

You quoted:-Student's create all their projects on their personal Network Drive (H Drive) . And the music files are linked from a seperate drive. Sometimes R Drive or they copy them to H drive and link them there

Just above is the kernel of your problem (Note:inconsistencies). The rest explains the basic elements as to how PTE works. (see Attachments)

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1186671433_thumb.jpg

post-1416-1186671447_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sam,

I made a reply to your problem posted by you on 24th August..."Pictures to Exe on Network"...(School Net)

which was not acknowledged, and may I ask you, have you solved your School Network Problem ?

I see you have 'Posted' a request concerning downloading PTE.5xx through the 'Mistral Thread Link' which

I sent to you. You said you are using Pte 4.46 on the School Network and I sincerely hope you are not

planning to use Pte.5xx as a remedy replacement to Pte 4.46 currently running on the School Network.

Tell me I am wrong ~ because if you do this without performing a 'Systems Hardware Audit' of all the

Networked PC's you are facing certain collapse of the entire System ~ for the reason that your Hardware may not be capable of running Pte.5xx in the first instance.

Brian.Conflow.