WnSoft Forums

Slideshows on Web

jdlink

Hi Jacques,

Unless it's a very "small" slideshow AVI is probably too large and one must wait until the entire show has downloaded to play it.

Flash, as you know, has two formats: FLV and SWF. SWF works fine for slideshows without music synchronization for over 2 minutes and for shows with not over 16,000 actual frames. It dies at 16,001 frames. What this means then is that if you use 29.97 fps you have about eight and a half minutes of capability at this frame rate. FLV has no limitation in number of frames or any problems with music synchronization so it is preferred.

There are a number of different Flash iterations. Right now, the better quality is Flash 8 and above but the user must have a Flash 8 or Flash 9 player installed. This can easily be done free via the Adobe Macromedia site.

There are several products which can implement Flash 8. The least expensive is On2 Technologies Flix Standard. Flix Standard can output a Flash 8 FLV file using the AVI output of PTE as the source. Flix Standard is very reasonably priced. Also there are incoders for Flash 8 from Sorensen and from WildForm.The Wildform product is actually an On2 Technologies OEM product.

If you want to go with older Flash FLV implementation you can use Riva Lite (about $30 U.S.) and the free Riva encoder. The file size is a good bit larger than Flash 8 and the quality is not bad but not as good as Flash 8. There are others as well, but I'm not familiar with the latest versions.

My suggestion would definitely be Flash rather than a straight AVI. You can also use Windows Movie Maker and output WMV files which are smaller than AVI but larger in general than Flash.

Best regards,

Lin

What is the suggested output for use on the Web? Obviously, an EXE won't work. What format do people use for displaying their slideshows on the Web...AVI, FLV, other? Thanks, Jacques

Jacques

Like Lin says On2 Technologies Flix Standard is an excellent product. Myself I use an Australian product called Swishvideo2 from SwishZone.com it costs $49.95 and below is a link to download a trial version. I believe that it uses On2 Technology under licence, it also comes with a standalone FLV Player.

http://www.swishzone.com/index.php?area=pr...p;tab=downloads

Jacques

Personally I am not keen on watching small web sized slide shows that generally have lost all their impact and quality by streaming them from the internet. Apart from an advertisment or a teaser I would favour the viewer having to download the full slide show as a zip file. Just as we do from our sebsites or Beechbrook

I would want the viewer to see my show the way I intended it to be seen and with internet connects getting faster and faster that isn't such a problem.

My reasons for saying this is that AV is all about presentation and I want my presentation to be at it's best.