WnSoft Forums

False "Missing Slide" message

felix1

Here's a puzzler: I recently got a new computer, so moved some slide shows over to the new machine. In one, a couple of slides came up "missing"-- I got the warning message at startup of show. Okay, so I fournd the missing slides in the show and replaced them. Everything looks fine. However, I still get the "Missing Slide" error at start up for one slide. The problem is that this slide does not appear anywhere in the slides list (that is, the normal blank slide with the path and name of the missing slide). So.... I cannot replace or delete the "missing" slide as I can't find it in the slides listing, and this is preventing the show from running. I'm running version 5.10.

So, how do I rid myself of this pesky so-called "missing" slide? I can't even run the show without fixing this. Help!

Thanks, Felix

I recommend move the project to the new PC using "Create backup in ZIP" function (see Main menu | File).

Igor,

The problem is not that the "missing" jpg file is not in the file directory, it is, and I have even re-inserted into the show and it shows up okay in the show, BUT, I still get the "missing file" message and connot run the slide show.

I did as you suggested and used the "Create backup in ZIP" and copied that zip file to new computer, but all that does is collectect the slide files into one place, correct? It does not include a new .pte file, too, right? At least my zip did not, it included only the slide files.

So, I'm still stuck. It would be very good to have the option to "Delete" or "Reinsert" the missing files when that error window comes up. It would make life much more simple!

So, I'm open to any more ideas. I have put a lot of time into this show and would hate to have to start all over.

Thanks, Felix

Felix,

The Create Backup in Zip should contain a copy of the .pte file also. Try Create Backup in Zip to test again and verify. To use ... unzip the backup contents and run that backup .pte. Please remember that this new backup .pte file will have the same name as the original .pte ... but the paths contained now match the new backup location files and not the original files path location.

Be aware now that PTE program remembers the last opened file ... so make sure you kept in mind which .pte file your working from since they both have the same name.

To Fix:

Since you have already "re-inserted" another image object to replace the missing image object ... just delete the old image object in the O&A thats causing your issue and resave.

Felix,

The Create Backup in Zip should contain a copy of the .pte file also. Try Create Backup in Zip to test again and verify. To use ... unzip the backup contents and run that backup .pte. Please remember that this new backup .pte file will have the same name as the original .pte ... but the paths contained now match the new backup location files and not the original files path location.

Be aware now that PTE program remembers the last opened file ... so make sure you kept in mind which .pte file your working from since they both have the same name.

To Fix:

Since you have already "re-inserted" another image object to replace the missing image object ... just delete the old image object in the O&A thats causing your issue and resave.

Ah ha, yes, I re-zipped and this time it included the .pte file and it opens fine, so thanks much for that tip. But, you mention in your final paragraph that I should be able to delte the old image object in the Q&A error screen. I cannot accomplish that; in fact, I can't do anything with that screen except click on the path showing the missing slide... can't delte at all. Should I be able to?

Thanks again, Felix

Felix,

Should I be able to?

No. You cannot delete the image object from/in the Missing Files Error Screen thats displayed during initial program opening. The Error Screen is just for viewing the info and non-editable.

To remove the missing file image of the old image object ... you must first find/select the slide (#) in the Slide list. Open O&A (Objects and Animation button) and select the old image object to delete.

A word of caution ... deleting a parent object that has children objects will also remove its children objects.

Felix,

No. You cannot delete the image object from/in the Missing Files Error Screen thats displayed during initial program opening. The Error Screen is just for viewing the info and non-editable.

To remove the missing file image of the old image object ... you must first find/select the slide (#) in the Slide list. Open O&A (Objects and Animation button) and select the old image object to delete.

A word of caution ... deleting a parent object that has children objects will also remove its children objects.

Okay, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I sure think it would be cool to be able to delete at that screen which would then allow you to run the show. Ah, well...

The other thing about this particular problem is that the "missing" slide was never anything except a plain old slide; it was not an animation object at all. That is what is so baffling to me. Oh, well, onward and upward!

Thanks for your info.

--Felix

Felix,

Why not simply open the Show in the 'Main PTE Window' ~ find the "1kb Link Message"

delete that, then re-Save the Show as "Save As" and re-create the Exe File without

the missing Image ?...You will now have your Show running again without that Image

and that 'pesky' mesage.

Brian.Conflow.