WnSoft Forums

Slow startup with antivirus

David Whiteing

I was in corespondence with Igor last March 2007 about the very slow start of shows on CD-R when McAfee (AOL) antivirus running. A CD will start up in 6 to 10 seconds with McAfee shut down, but 6 to 10 minutes when McAfee running. I copy many CD's for distribution and find that some other users have this same problem, regardless of which antivirus they use. I put a warning on each CD but have had some returned to me as dud, which they are not. Also an attempt to rename an exe file in Windows can take 5 or 6 minutes. I see in the forum several members have the same problem and the response that this is not a PicturesToExe problem. However I have just received a slide show CD from Japan with an even more animated production, I cannot identify which software has been used as it has all ? marks in it, but this slide show starts within a few seconds whether McAfee is running or not. My slide shows contain 300 to 400 images and are around 500MB in size.

RUNNING A SLIDE SHOW EXE FROM THE CD

a 500 mb exe is quite a chunk to be running direct from the cd

you might better advise the people to copy and paste the exe to the desktop and run it from there

your customer's would have to have a very powerful system to run it from the cd

see thread

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ost&p=13470

ken

David,

But the CD slide show that I have received from Japan is 691MB, much larger than anything I have ever created, and it starts up in 7 seconds...

Interesting fact for the CD to run the same with or without virus scanning.

Is this CD show a .exe file extention or some other ?

Does the CD have multiple files or one single file of 691MB ?

Hi David,

The bottom line is that it's a virus software issue, not a PTE issue. Actually you should be talking to the folks at McAfee. Probably they are running the entire large executable through the virus detection. There is really nothing that can be done from the PTE side to prevent or control how they use their virus protection software. The only work-around I can think of would be to use a utility to copy the EXE to the hard disk and perhaps their virus detection would work faster there.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks Ken for reply. But the CD slide show that I have received from Japan is 691MB, much larger than anything I have ever created, and it starts up in 7 seconds and runs perfectly regardless of whether antivirus is running or not.

Thanks for responses. First the Japanese slide show is a single executable of 691,406KB. There is nothing in properties to tell me anything. When it runs it has the narrative Sample BGM on the bottom right. I have been in touch with the creator and it is software on her parents Sony PC. She will not be back at her parents until after Christmas to check what the actual software is. Back in March I did try to contact McAfee but as I purchase the antivirus through AOL they had no record of me and would not answer questions. However, a CD that I took to my sister took 6 minutes to run and she has AVG. I have done some time tests this morning with McAfee running. To run the slide show from my hard disk, 1st run 42 seconds, 2nd run 9 seconds, 3rd run 20 seconds, 4th run instantly, 5th run instantly. From the CD 1st run 2 minutes, 2nd instantly, 3rd instantly. Reloading the CD 1st run 2 minutes 52 seconds, 2nd run instantly, 3rd 2 minutes 35 seconds, 4th instantly, 5th instantly. Thus is would appear that once McAfee has checked the exe it is happy to let it run again, but every time the CD is put back it checks it all over again. The big question is why does McAfee check the P2E CD but not the Japanese one. I will try to get hold of McAfee again.