WnSoft Forums

Two small bugs...

mhwarner

... and they have probably been around for a while, but I have just noticed it in the last several 5.1 RC versions because of the way I am working on a particular slideshow. And, of course, maybe they are not bugs but just the way the program has to work. They are definitely NOT "showstoppers", but just minor annoyances.

(1) The folders are not exactly "live" in that if I have opened a folder of images using the tree structure in the left-hand pane, and I add a sub-folder to one of them (outside of PTE of course), the subfolder does not automatically show up. I have to contract and expand the next highest parent folder and then expand it and the subfolder shows up. Maybe it works this way so that useless cycles are not expanded monitoring the directory tree.

(2) If some images are loaded in a slideshow and I change one or more of those files outside of PTE in photoshop or some other program, the thumbnails in the slide window don't update immediately. If I click on any of those thumbnails, the preview window does display the new updated version, but the thumbnail still shows the old version. At some point, without closing PTE, the thumbnails will update, but I haven't figured out what the trigger is which causes the update.

Again, neither item is a big deal, but I just thought I would point them out if they can be fixed in some future version without too much trouble.

Mary,

(1) The folders are not exactly "live" in that if I have opened a folder of images using the tree structure in the left-hand pane, and I add a sub-folder to one of them (outside of PTE of course), the subfolder does not automatically show up. I have to contract and expand the next highest parent folder and then expand it and the subfolder shows up. Maybe it works this way so that useless cycles are not expanded monitoring the directory tree.
We didn't implement it because PicturesToExe may start/exit slowly because of full monitoring of folders. This code was written by us I decided do not use it. Probably you noticed that PicturesToExe 5.0 and especially 5.1 is fastest with work of folders tree.
(2) If some images are loaded in a slideshow and I change one or more of those files outside of PTE in photoshop or some other program, the thumbnails in the slide window don't update immediately. If I click on any of those thumbnails, the preview window does display the new updated version, but the thumbnail still shows the old version. At some point, without closing PTE, the thumbnails will update, but I haven't figured out what the trigger is which causes the update.

It is related with first question. Windows slowly works if we set too many folder watchers. If you will open image for editing directly from Slide list (right mouse button, "Open image") PicturesToExe will update thumbnails in the Slide list after updating of image(s).

Thanks Igor,

I figured it had something to do with timing and system resources. I can live with it. Editing photos directly from within PtoE is not really the problem for me. In the slideshow I recently created, I had a directory for a photo event ("Monument Valley"). Then I had 6 subdirectories for each of the days. I had started PtoE and began a slideshow with some opening slides. Then I began reviewing the slides in my image management program (ThumbsPlus) and I ran a batch resizing process there on the the ones I wanted to use. I have set the batch process to put the resized images in new subfolders of each of the daily folders called "work". When I went back over to P2E, those subfolders didn't show up. I had to expand and collapse the top level folder for them to show.

But, as you said, it was very quick and of course, it displayed the new thumbnails for those images with surprising speed. For this case, the best workaround is to create the "work" subfolders initially before even opening PtoE and then run the batch processes as I go along.

Thanks for the quick response!