WnSoft Forums

Time display bug?

Peter S

Igor et al.

I am not sure if this is a bug or not but I do find it confusing.

This is a very simple example! If I set up a show with 3 slides 10 secs each and no transitions. I get a 30 second show.

If I now change all the transitions to 1.5 second fade in/out I still get a 30 second show and this is how it looks on the Timeline ... BUT if I look at the duration for the first two slides in O&A it shows each of these slides has a duration of 11.5 seconds.

I only noticed this when I was trying to match a voice over with printed words appearing on screen.

Is there any particular reason for this?

Kind regards

Peter

Hi Peter,

The O&A timeline display shows the transition into your image, the period when the image is fully visible and the transition out of your image. But this second transition is really the transition into the next image. This will become clearer if, in your example, you give each slide a different transition time (e.g one second and two seconds). Your image duration, as seen on the Main tab of Customize Slide for example, includes only the first transition - but the image remains partly visible until the completion of the transition into the next image.

Hi Peter,

Yes I see this but it does not seem logical because if you take the three slides and add up their individual durations shown in O & A you get 33 seconds instead of 30 for the show. The slide duration should surely be the same however you view this information and not change between O & A and other screens?

I seem to remember a post where Igor mentioned that he was planning to split fade in and fade out so each could be adjusted for a single slide. This could make the differences in slide duration even more complex.

I cannot see any advantage in the current situation but I could simply be missing the point.

Kind regards

Peter

Hi Peter,

The way I keep things straight in my mind is to regard each image as having three parts:

- the transition into the image

- the image in full view

- the transition out of the image

Within PTE, only the transition into the image is regarded as part of the overall duration of that image. Let's use your simple example of three images, each with 10 seconds duration and each with a transition into it that lasts 1.5 seconds.

What is the total duration of the sequence?: 30 seconds (3 images each of 10 seconds)

What is the total duration of each image?:

Image 1 - 11.5 seconds - made up of 10 seconds own duration (which includes the transition into it at its start) and 1.5 seconds when it remans partially visible during the transition into the next image.

Image 2 - 11.5 seconds - made up of 10 seconds own duration (which includes the transition into it at its start) and 1.5 seconds when it remans partially visible during the transition into the next image.

Image 3 - 10 seconds own duration (which includes the transition into it at its start)

Adding up the individual image durations as described immediately above would seem to give a duration of 33 seconds - but we would then have counted two of the transitions twice each. To get back to the actual sequence duration we must subtract this element of "double counting"

On th pracatical front, by showing both transitions within the O&A window, Igor allows us to programme our animation to run at the same time as an overall transition - should we wish to do so.

It took me a couple of minutes to grasp what I was seeing the first time I used PTE v5 but now I just accept it and it does make sense to me.