WnSoft Forums

Still having some sound problems

targa912

I'm using Audacity to edit my sound. I dl a song from Wal-Mart and used two songs from one of my cd's. The audio from the two cd songs and the dl plays perfect on my pc. In Audacity the cd's songs are 22050HZ. They play fine in the slide show and when I burn it to a dvd with video builder. The song I dl from Wal-Mart is 44100HZ. On the pc it sounds fine. But when I burn to dvd it sounds pretty bad. Is the HZ difference the problem and if so how would I solve it?

Thanks, Bob W.

Hi Bob,

Speaking as someone who works only within the PC environment (no interest or need to do DVDs) I've never found using 44100Hz to give any problem. All my soundtrack material originates at and is kept at 44100Hz throughtout its life. And I too use Audacity to manipulate the sound files.

Sorry I cannot help you further. But I'm sure there will be someone out there who can offer you some practical advice.

Hi Bob,

The Hz numbers are indeed important to your sound quality. As Ken says CD quality is at 44100 Hz This refers to the rate at which the sound is sampled by your sound card. The higher rate the higher the quality.

The human ear can hear sounds from 20Hz to 20 kHz, so a sample rate needs to be higher than this. The standard used is at least twice 20 kHz. CD quality recordings use a 44100Hz.

You need to insure that all sounds are either recorded or imported at the same rate. You can set the sample rate in aduacity's preferences and if you re import the CD tracks at 44100 you will find that the sound quality will be more even.

What may have happend in your case is that the sample rate for the CD import is 2set at 2050HZ re set this to 44100 and re import. As the DL tracks are imoprted to Aduacity you are reducing the sample rate and in turn the quality.

The other factor you need to consider is the Bit Rate. This is the binary string in which the information is storded on the computer. This is in batches of 8 bits and most use a 24 Bit Rate. Compare this to photographing at 10MP as apposed to 1MP

Happy Christmas

Alan

I set the defaults in Audacity to 44100 Hz and 16 bit. Then ran a short test on the Wal-mart dl. It played correctly. So it looks like the problem is with the cd burns. I used AudioGrabber. Brought them into Audacity but they still came in at 22050HZ. Went into AudioGrabber and tried to change to 441000 but the highest rate is 22050HZ. Now what?

Bob W.

Bob W,

If it's a Wallmart download its almost certainly an Mp3-128kps Audio File.

This is a common Format used by most 'Music Download Vendors' as it

suits the 'Internet Broadband System'.

(I might add that many of these downloads are copy-protected) however..

If you use Audacity, load it into the Audacity Program, then highlight (select all)

and export it as a WAV File. It will 'auto-export' at WAV 22050.Hz.

Thats the best you will be able to achieve and its FM-Stereo Radio quality.

Brian.conflow.

Hi Bob,

you've certainly got all the brains working on this. The import seems to be your main problem. I bought a programme a long while ago but it keeps a special place on the HD it is called Audio Cleaning Lab and it will import "anything" and convert to "anything" It was designed to record and restore records and tape to CD output, but is worth the price for the conversion ablities alone, You can get a trial or buy at magix.com. You also have control over sample and bit rates and ins and outs volume control

Alan

Bob W,

If it's a Wallmart download its almost certainly an Mp3-128kps Audio File.

This is a common Format used by most 'Music Download Vendors' as it

suits the 'Internet Broadband System'.

(I might add that many of these downloads are copy-protected) however..

If you use Audacity, load it into the Audacity Program, then highlight (select all)

and export it as a WAV File. It will 'auto-export' at WAV 22050.Hz.

Thats the best you will be able to achieve and its FM-Stereo Radio quality.

Brian.conflow.

Ok, I tried that and no improvement. Looks like I'm just going to drop the dl track. This is taking too much time. I'll try and pick it up again later. Nothing like a good learning experience!

Bob W.

Bob W,

The 'copy-protection' that these Vendors use ~ (to stop you distributing their product) ~ usually comes in 5 Formats:-

* Time limitation were the Copy process stops after 30 seconds.

* Alternatively a total 'music-harmonic' is inserted into the Copy Track.

* Reverts to a Web Site looking for legal Cbbc data ~ then stops.

* Injects a 'tone' into the Copy Track.

* Limits the Copy track to AM radio bandwidth ~ 50-5000Hz.

Brian.Conflow.