WnSoft Forums

NewsFlash: DVD-v-BLUERAY

Conflow

Hi All,

It was announced today that Toshiba have conceded to BlueRay and as from Mid-Summer

they will cease with HD.DVD Production, now leaving BlueRay as the 'de-facto' DVD Standard.

Link and News below:-

Brian.Conflow.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-646251...tml?tag=nl.e501

Hi All,

It was announced today that Toshiba have conceded to BlueRay and as from Mid-Summer

they will cease with HD.DVD Production, now leaving BlueRay as the 'de-facto' DVD Standard.

Link and News below:-

Brian.Conflow.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6463_7-646251...tml?tag=nl.e501

This move was inevitable! I wonder if this will mean a reduction in the cost of Blu Ray discs.

Ron

Ron,

With a monopoly market the price is more likely to rise - there's no competition now!

I'm not sure because if the Blu-ray consortium wants to replace the DVD format and be able to sell high definition equipment, they have to be competitive.

A lot of people were waiting for a single HD format to invest in HD.

I guess the blu-ray sales will increase now (for a same movie, the sales in this format represents now a tiny % compared to DVD) and let's hope it will allow to decrease the price for the mass production of disks in this format.

And there is VOD which might be a even more bigger competitor than HD-DVD...

Objectively, even if I invested in blu-ray, it seems HD-DVD was a better format for the end-user.

More competitive for the prices (disk support and disk reader), technologically more advanced for interactive features and no region coding.

Anyway, let's see what's happening now...