WnSoft Forums

Earth and Moon - trials and tribulations

Lin Evans

Well done, that seems simple but it need a lot of work to do. I have just a jump between slides, my graphic card isn't enough good for the demo. Wideangle's challenge is done :)

Hi Jean-Pierre,

There really is a "jump" because I didn't perfectly match the beginning and ending frames. After hand coding 1300+ keyframes I got tired - LOL. I thought I could use my editor and do one frame and copy and paste some of the work but something didn't work right and I kept getting errors so just did them all manually.

Also I had to save frequently as I kept running out of memory when moving slides to get them in order and when entering keyframes. It pointed out a need for possibly an optional autosave feature and a way to reverse object entry order. Lots of good suggestions may come from this exercise as I found all the weak places which this type of project illuminates.

Best regards,

Lin

Well done, that seems simple but it need a lot of work to do. I have just a jump between slides, my graphic card isn't enough good for the demo. Wideangle's challenge is done :)

After hand coding 1300+ keyframes I got tired

The difficulty of your demo is the movement of the earth which is slow and it's more difficult than a quick rotation as I did with Hubble, I just need 36 pictures I think, as it's neccessary to change the picture each 40ms (about) to have a good effect and your rotation is more than 10 seconds, it needs a lot of pictures ( about the duration of the rotation divide by 40 ms).

For little objects we can have less objects but with a Fade in/out effect between 2 objects, it also depending of the picture. For instance object 1 = 40 ms, effect between object 1 and Object 2 = 40 ms and Object 2 = 40 ms and so on, but it's still a long job to do.

Absolutely! I had to use 431 images for a 43 second animation which equals one rotation of the Earth. Since all done in Objects and Animations this meant 431 objects each on its own layer. Then to get the moon to move behind "and" in front required exact duplicate synchronized animations (not quite perfectly, I'm afraid). One for the motion in front of the earth which resides on layer 1 and one for the motion going behind the earth which resides on layer 433.

Each frame of the rotation effect required three keyframes with opacity overlap at the proper timing as you mentioned.

Also, a great deal of time to first capture the Earth rotation then trim the AVI to match one complete revolution of Earth, decompile my AVI of the rotation to jpgs, then convert and resize the jpgs to usable transparent background png files. I'm still writing Photoshop actions to "clean up" the PNG's which had some background remaining. It doesn't show up against a black background but does when an object (the moon) passes over remaining fragments.

In all - lots of work for a one rotation of Earh animation. Essentially as with your Hubble demo it shows that it "can" be done. Whether or not it's worth the "effort" is another issue - LOL

Best regards,

Lin

The difficulty of your demo is the movement of the earth which is slow and it's more difficult than a quick rotation as I did with Hubble, I just need 36 pictures I think, as it's neccessary to change the picture each 40ms (about) to have a good effect and your rotation is more than 10 seconds, it needs a lot of pictures ( about the duration of the rotation divide by 40 ms).

For little objects we can have less objects but with a Fade in/out effect between 2 objects, it also depending of the picture. For instance object 1 = 40 ms, effect between object 1 and Object 2 = 40 ms and Object 2 = 40 ms and so on, but it's still a long job to do.

Odd indeed! I've always wondered why people like sound effects when showing objects moving through space where there is no atmosphere to conduct sound - truth be known - erie silence! LOL

Lin

MUSIC IS KIND OF ODD :)

thought my sound had gone dodo

ken