WnSoft Forums

cant open pte files

Guest organmorgan

Guest organmorgan

when i go file open to my pte files sel one and try to open i get error message picts and sound not found.

the size of the file looks about right. i have made exe and dvd from the file in first place ok.

I have got all picts and sound file in a sep folder and all are present.

If my friend gives me one of his pte files again all in one folder i cant open that either.

Have uninstalled pte and reinstalled no difference

I do appear to be able to open the last pte that i was working on but non previous to that.

I have not moved renamed or done any thing to the files since making the slide show and saving

win xp pte ver 5.5......

how do i find any reply to this do i have to search my topic title or is it like some forums you get email link if areply has been posted if not it would be a very good idea.

john

:rolleyes:

Hi John,

A couple possibilities come to mind. First, download the tiny zipped file linked which contains a PTE file and image. Place it in any folder and unzip then open PTE, navigate to the folder and try to run the PTE file. You "should" see a barn with a simple pan animation. If this works, then PTE is doing its job and the problem is probably one of drive designator.

If you are using a USB drive, etc., and the drive desgnator has changed this could be the problem. For example, Windows assigns a drive letter to a device such as D:, E:, F:, etc. If you add another device the drive designator may change because of normal cascade assignments. It is possible to permanently assign a drive designator to a particular device but first let's find out if it's the case that this is the problem.

If you can run the zipped PTE file I link below then PTE is fine. Next find one of your PTE files and open it with Windows Notepad. (START, ALL Progams, Accessories, Notepad). Look through the file and find out the drive device assigment where PTE is looking for your files. DON'T SAVE the PTE FILE, JUST EXIT: Next see if that is indeed the place where the file resides. If not let me know and I'll give you instructions for permanently assigning the proper drive designator for your device.

Link to test:

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/testforjohn.zip

Best regards,

Lin

John,

Each time that you post on this forum, there is an option that you can select (a Tick box) to have e-mail notification of any replies. The default is "Off".

The error sounds like the one that occurs when you have inadvertently moved the picture files. You say you haven't done this. Were they stored on removeable media (CD, DVD, USB Flash memory stick) and have you loaded this media before opening your pte file?

John,

Have you moved the 'PTE Program Folder' out of the 'PC Programs Folder' to

another part of the PC ?....Have you moved it directly on to your Hard-Drive ?

or on to another Drive ?...This would prevent your PTE Files from opening as

the Index-Register would be lost in moving your PTE Program Folder.

[u]Try this: Right/Click on a PTE.Exe File and when the 'drop-down' Menu opens

up select...'Open With'-->A new Window will open and from that select-->'PTE' this

will re-establish the Index-Register (Clk the little box use this) and all should work

OK from there on.

That was the cause of your problem, before you Re-Download...so try to remake link.

You said..."Have uninstalled pte and reinstalled no difference"

Just a thought...

Brian.Conflow.

Guest organmorgan
Hi John,

A couple possibilities come to mind. First, download the tiny zipped file linked which contains a PTE file and image. Place it in any folder and unzip then open PTE, navigate to the folder and try to run the PTE file. You "should" see a barn with a simple pan animation. If this works, then PTE is doing its job and the problem is probably one of drive designator.

If you are using a USB drive, etc., and the drive desgnator has changed this could be the problem. For example, Windows assigns a drive letter to a device such as D:, E:, F:, etc. If you add another device the drive designator may change because of normal cascade assignments. It is possible to permanently assign a drive designator to a particular device but first let's find out if it's the case that this is the problem.

If you can run the zipped PTE file I link below then PTE is fine. Next find one of your PTE files and open it with Windows Notepad. (START, ALL Progams, Accessories, Notepad). Look through the file and find out the drive device assigment where PTE is looking for your files. DON'T SAVE the PTE FILE, JUST EXIT: Next see if that is indeed the place where the file resides. If not let me know and I'll give you instructions for permanently assigning the proper drive designator for your device.

Link to test:

http://www.lin-evans.net/p2e/testforjohn.zip

Best regards,

Lin

Guest organmorgan
John,

Each time that you post on this forum, there is an option that you can select (a Tick box) to have e-mail notification of any replies. The default is "Off".

The error sounds like the one that occurs when you have inadvertently moved the picture files. You say you haven't done this. Were they stored on removeable media (CD, DVD, USB Flash memory stick) and have you loaded this media before opening your pte file?

Guest organmorgan

Hello thanks found it .... Do you have to do it for every post or does it stay as def ?

I have now got a number of notifications that were not for my post in addition to the correct one

dont know how to cancel just those it just refs to cancel all notifications as i read it

cheers john

Hello thanks found it .... Do you have to do it for every post or does it stay as def ?

I have now got a number of notifications that were not for my post in addition to the correct one

dont know how to cancel just those it just refs to cancel all notifications as i read it

cheers john

John,

If you click on the "My Control" link up near the top of the page, you will then see an option to set your E-mail defaults (its the last item in the main list). If you tick this and use the drop down menu to control what happens you should find it will give you all the control you need. Set it and then put in a test post and a test reply to some other post. No one will mind, we all have to learn somehow.

• 2 weeks later...
this thread has been edited to remove the entry shown in Brian's screenshot to hopefully stop any problems

ken

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ost&p=50927

Hello

i am totally lost off here. the pte problem seemed to be because the pte files and exe files were in same folder now they are in sep folders its ok. Dont see the logic of that.

I am worried re the stuff on forum about key loggers and my organ morgan name I come on line using a mac mini does it mean i have a problem please i dont want to foul any thing up guys. ???

To get on forum i have had to re register hope this is picked up by someone that can help

cheers john

post-5788-1205766971_thumb.jpg

Hi John,

Actually, I don't think the problem with the keylogger had anything specifically to do with your name or your post but simply was associated with one of the spam posts which when "copied" and pasted (I did it as well as others) ended up spreading the keylogger. The forum software had a security weakness which I believe has since been corrected.

The original issue of PTE loosing the association with your files is complex and we may never know exactly what happened. Generally, the safest way to insure that you can "always" link things back in case of equipment or system issues is to use the zip feature. Once you have completed a slideshow just make a zipped backup from the Main Screen via "File" "Create Backup in Zip". Then at any time in the future you can unzip this file in any folder and find the PTE file and all associated images completely safe and usable.

Best regards,

Lin