WnSoft Forums

Slide Show Rendering

JEB

Lin or Others!

Within an earlier posting discussing the merits, or otherwise of, perhaps in the future, including video within P2E, Lin gave an excellent layman’s explanation of the differences between hardware and software rendering.

I found this most enlightening. No doubt I’m being pedantic but can I assume that that explanation applies not only to video but also to slide shows?

What I am getting at is do programmes like PSG drop still images to a lower resolution (800x600) and then re size up again every time they carry out a transition?

My reason for asking is that I am often asked why I use PTE as opposed to PSG and give all the usual answers. However, when I get on to the question of quality of output I am usually, due to my lack of technical knowledge and understanding, at a loss to explain why PTE produces so much better results.

If your explanation, referred to above, also applies to standard still AV's then I can be confident in providing a sound answer when next asked.

Thanks in anticipation,

John

My reason for asking is that I am often asked why I use PTE as opposed to PSG and give all the usual answers. However, when I get on to the question of quality of output I am usually, due to my lack of technical knowledge and understanding, at a loss to explain why PTE produces so much better results.

If your explanation, referred to above, also applies to standard still AV's then I can be confident in providing a sound answer when next asked.

Thanks in anticipation,

John

There is a big difference between the 2 products, PTE don't modify your pictures files (only gif and PNG and sometimes bmp with V5 in another loseless format) neither your sound file, Proshow modify both. I haven't test their last version, but I made tests 2 years ago (at the begeinning of PTE V5) and I saw that all the files were modified in format such as jpg and ogg, so you loose some informations, they use several qualities for the sound, all are in ogg, the best is about 160 Ko/s (before it was with mp3). All the files for pictures (that's also right for BMP) are compressed in jpg, may be you can choice between several quality, but there will always lost of informations, even png is compress in jpg and the alpha layer is transform in PNG black and white.

They also make transformations on pictures and cut the sound in many parts inside the exe file, so when reading there are too many calculations to do to recreate pictures and sound correctly.

I often saw Proshow slideshow with ogg under 100 Kbps for the sound and quality under 80 (with jpegoptimizer) for pictures (small). With PTE you choice the exact quality you need, it's not the product which decide, some of you use Quality 98 with Photoshop and WAV or small compression with ogg (hight bitrate as 320 kbps or more).

If you need Hight quality you need PTE, if you don't need, you can choice what you want.

Jean-Pierre,

Thank you for your reply with all the additional information which I will add to my "memory bank" and hope it will stick and come out when needed!

Can I assume that my question regarding clarification of Lin's response (Post #8 of the above topic "Video Clips, ....Inclusion Possible in PTE?") that rendering takes place not only with video but also with still image transitions is correct?

Regards

John

Jean-Pierre,

Thank you for your reply with all the additional information which I will add to my "memory bank" and hope it will stick and come out when needed!

Can I assume that my question regarding clarification of Lin's response (Post #8 of the above topic "Video Clips, ....Inclusion Possible in PTE?") that rendering takes place not only with video but also with still image transitions is correct?

Regards

John

Sorry, I don't really understand your question, english is difficult for me, so I can't answer ( I haven't also understand all what Lin wrote)

Hello John,

as Lin explained: Rendering takes place during slide shows, in particular when the slides contain animation (zooms, pans etc.). In these cases the slide show program has to generate a new video in real time based on the given still image and the positions defined by the keypoints (now called keyframes). In my understanding, a slide show with simple transition effects and without animation does not have serious requirements on rendering.

Best regards

Xaver H.

Munich

Xaver,

Thank you.

That finally explains it for me.

I was not certain if and when rendering occurred in slide shows as opposed to video. It all makes sense to me now that it would happen during pan, zoom and rotate though presumably not to the same extent during a simple fade.

Thank you again for your time.

John

In my understanding, a slide show with simple transition effects and without animation does not have serious requirements on rendering.

I would like to correct this small moment.

With hardware accelleration, video card continuously renders video and produces 60 frames per second (or more) even if no motion on the scene. Static objects or complex animation - video card processes a slide with same speed. (Of course, in some cases no need to continuously render slides. In "Objects and animation" editor video card updates picture on demand.)

All transition effects in PicturesToExe with any parameters work at same speed when using hardware acceleration. Maybe only Curling of page more difficult for old and slow video cards.

Hello admin1,

it is very nice to meet the top-level expert within this forum. Being a layman with respect to graphics processing I do not want to discuss with you requirements on rendering of animated and still images.

Maybe that you can give me an explanation on a related subject. Do you know why long lasting pans, which run absolutely smooth on monitors with S-PVA panels, show synchronization problems (running rows from top to bottom) with the beamer "Canon Realis SX50, also called Xeed SX50". This happens with various graphics cards, and with PTE and m.objects in a similar way. The points in time, when these effects occur change from run to run.

Best regards

Xaver H.

Munich

If you use hardware acceleration and set fullscreen mode slideshow should play ideally smooth panoramas.

This problem can be caused by two possible reasons:

- You disabled Vertical synchronization in settings of video cards (but you wrote that you tried on several video cards).

- Problem in the Canon SX50 projector. Please tell about this problem on AVSForum:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=9

And I think other owners of this projector will help you.

I played slideshows on my new Epson 1080UB and earlier on Panasonic AE900 - no problem with long panning.

Hello admin1,

thank you for your reply. In the meantime I found a review of our club beamer on "ProjectorCentral.com" from 2005. Though being rather enthusiastic on this machine, the reviewer reports an occasional loss of frame synchronization in the buffer leading to a horizontal separation of the image. So I think we have to live with this problem and take care of it.

Best regards

Xaver H.

Munich