WnSoft Forums

Previewing and Saving DVD files

mfb137

Hi all,

This is probably a really stupid question, but as I have spent 2 days trying to figure it out with no success, I am going to ask it anyway. Can you save your video files in the same way that you save slideshow exe files? I don't understand how to preview my video before I burn it to a DVD. Nor do I get how to save it to my hard drive in the event that I want to make another copy of it later. When I try to open the file that I made I get the message that my system does not know what program to use to open it. The first time I tried this I simply burned a dvd and popped it into a dvd player. I felt that the menu looked kind of soft in focus and I did not like how the music I place on the menu faded out. I want to change this and see how it will look and sound before I burn it. Is that possible? If not, can someone tell me how to adjust the music to make the fade out more gradual and then replay. As it is now it plays for a few seconds and then stops rather abruptly and does not start again. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!---Maria :(

Hi Maria,

I don't think this is a stupid question at all! I'm new to PTE myself and I'd be interested in hearing what others have to suggest. In the meantime, here's a couple of things I've done which seem to work. Choose whichever is easier for you:

1. Download and install a free Microsoft program called 'Virtual CD-ROM Control Panel'. That allows you to create a virtual CD drive on your PC. Then use PTE/Videobuilder and opt to 'Create ISO image'. You can then point your virtual CD drive at the ISO image and view it as if it were a CD/DVD. If all's well, use ImgBurn or similar to burn a DVD from the ISO image.

2. Use PTE/Videobuilder and opt to 'Create DVD folders'. Then use a video viewing program like VLC to view your DVD folders. If all's well, burn the folders to DVD. I used Nero.

Hope that helps. If there's a better way, maybe one of the experts will chip in.

P

(P.S. Virtual CD-ROM C/P is for XP only, but there may be something similar if you have a different OS)

• 1 month later...

Hi Maria,

Check the "Create MPEG2 file" in Video Builder and uncheck "Burn DVD disc" and this will create your video but without the DVD menu. Change the path to where you wish the file to be saved. You can then preview it on your computer and decide if everything is correct before burning it to DVD. Also I would suggest using rewritable DVD's while in the development stage of your DVD show so that you can correct any issues without wasting a DVD blank. Once you have everything as you like, then burn to a regular DVD.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi all,

This is probably a really stupid question, but as I have spent 2 days trying to figure it out with no success, I am going to ask it anyway. Can you save your video files in the same way that you save slideshow exe files? I don't understand how to preview my video before I burn it to a DVD. Nor do I get how to save it to my hard drive in the event that I want to make another copy of it later. When I try to open the file that I made I get the message that my system does not know what program to use to open it. The first time I tried this I simply burned a dvd and popped it into a dvd player. I felt that the menu looked kind of soft in focus and I did not like how the music I place on the menu faded out. I want to change this and see how it will look and sound before I burn it. Is that possible? If not, can someone tell me how to adjust the music to make the fade out more gradual and then replay. As it is now it plays for a few seconds and then stops rather abruptly and does not start again. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!---Maria :(