WnSoft Forums

Music not playing????

andym

OK, I've had a look through a thread posted earlier about music in vista, but I'm not sure if all that applies as I'm in XP, and I got lost in the technicalities.

I've ripped some music in audiograbber and am using it in my first show that I've created in pte 5.1. When i go into 'Timeline' and play the show, the music plays and everything is great. However, when I try 'preview', there is no music, and this is the same when I preview it in the main screen, and also if I create the show.

I'm clearly doing something wrong - any thoughts?

AndyM,

1) You don't say what version of the PTE Program you are actually using ?

2) Ripped Music ~what Music Format did you 'rip-it' into...Wav,Mp3,Wma ??

3) Did you activate PTE to 'add' Music to your Slideshow ?

PTE Main Window-->Project Options Button-->MusicTab--->Add Music ?

See "Attachment" below.

Brian-Conflow.

post-1416-1207087186_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the world of PTE A-Vs and the user forum Andym, you will find lots of friendly help and advice here.

This forum is a great source for advice, guidance and ideas. The sense of community helps make working with PTE more creative and pleasurable.

Can you provide a little more information?

-how did you attempt to add the music?

-what format is the music file?

Also I would suggest you download Lin and Jeff's excellent "PTE USER GUIDE" PDF document, which you will find under the Tutorial section of the forum. It will answer all/most of your questions and save you hours.

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7202

Hi Andym,

In PTE you can attach music in two ways:

- to the entire project via Project Option...Music tab

- to an individual image

In the discussion that follows I'm assuming you were trying to assign the music to the whole show. I'm also assuming that you have ripped the music into one of these formats: WAV or MP3. If you have ripped it into some other format, repeat the rip but save a copy as a WAV and another copy as an MP3.

Before doing any of the checks I cover below, remove your existing music file from the project and replace it with the WAV file. Does this solve the problem? If not, remove the WAV file and try the MP3. Does this solve the problem? Even if you do solve your problem by doing either of these, please read on and learn a little more and improve your understanding of what is going on.

The way to confirm that PTE has accepted your music file and assigned it to the show as a whole is to go into the Project Options...Music tab and:

- confirm that the expected file is referenced in the big box

- click on "Show music duration"

Now, what results did you get?

Was there a file reference in the big box?

Yes - You did assign the music file to the whole sequence

No - You didn't assign the music file to the whole sequence. You must have assigned the music file to a single image

If there was a file referenced then, was the music duration shown as 00:00?

Yes - PTE doesn't like the file

No - PTE has accepted the file as a genuine and compatible music file

If the duration was non-zero and the music still doesn't play as part of the show then I'm currently lost for further ideas.

If the duration was zero, you have hit upon a problem that seems similar to that which I encountered using Vista.

If you have added music to an individual image that is not the first image then you will not hear it in Preview or Create until your show reaches that specific image. The only way I know of finding which image has the music file associated with it is to use the Slide Line area to step slowly through the images one by one, watching for a file to be referenced in the Sound field.

I hope that, somewhere through these instructions, you discover the solution to your problem.

OK, I've now resolved this, I'd originally assigned music to a slide, but when I'd unassigned it, had left the little box ticked that said play new background files - this was causing a conflict.

Thanks for your help and advice, much appreciated.:)