WnSoft Forums

Major Problems with PTE Deluxe 5.1

jena_0809

I am really struggling with this product. Absolutely loved 4.45, but since upgrading it's been a nightmare! Creating the slideshows & playing them on the computer they were created on is flawless. The problem is when we move / copy them to another computer or when we copy them to a CD. The images hang up or bounce and transitions are lost. I really need a solution since this is how we present images to clients. Help please!

Hi Jena,

This isn't a problem with PTE, it's a problem either with the hardware you are transfering to or with the amount of resource requirement your original is created with.

More information is needed to understand the issue. Are you creating a DVD or trying to play the executable slideshow on a CD? CD players and computers differ greatly in their ability to run animations. The fact that the slideshows play correctly on the computer they were created on is proof that the problem isn't the program created but rather the environment it's being transferred to.

For example, if you are using original high resolution images and trying to run animations on machines with insufficient video GPU or video memory you will run into real problems. If you could please say what the pixel dimensions of your origina images as you have them in the slideshow are it would be a place to start.

We run PTE slideshows created with 5.0, 5.1 and betas of 5.5 on literally hundreds of computers with absolutely no problems but we create the shows for the least common denominator. That is we keep the image dimensions down to 1024x683 for the originals and we don't try to run slideshows from the CD but rather create a menu to allow the user to transfer the executables to their computer before being run.

To better understand how to do this it might be helpful for you to download and read the tutorials and the User Guides and perhaps watch some of the many AVI tutorials provided.

If you can give specific details there are many here on the forum who can help you construct your slideshows so they will be amenable to nearly any PC. Perhaps if you could post a zipped PTE file from one you are having problems with at customer sites we could have a look and help sort out the problem areas.

Best regards,

Lin

I am really struggling with this product. Absolutely loved 4.45, but since upgrading it's been a nightmare! Creating the slideshows & playing them on the computer they were created on is flawless. The problem is when we move / copy them to another computer or when we copy them to a CD. The images hang up or bounce and transitions are lost. I really need a solution since this is how we present images to clients. Help please!

Thanks for your help Lin. I am using original images. I will reduce the image size & try again. The confusion comes from the fact that I can create the exact same slideshow with 4.45 with no issues. I have always done it this way, but I've got to resize for the web anyway, so I'll just use those images. We are burning to CDs for our clients. But we are also copying the exe file over to the laptop in our sales room. This is when we run into problems. Exe's from 4.45 work fine, they hang up from the newer version.

I will create a new show this afternoon & give it another try. Thanks again for you help!

Jena

Hi Jena,

This isn't a problem with PTE, it's a problem either with the hardware you are transfering to or with the amount of resource requirement your original is created with.

More information is needed to understand the issue. Are you creating a DVD or trying to play the executable slideshow on a CD? CD players and computers differ greatly in their ability to run animations. The fact that the slideshows play correctly on the computer they were created on is proof that the problem isn't the program created but rather the environment it's being transferred to.

For example, if you are using original high resolution images and trying to run animations on machines with insufficient video GPU or video memory you will run into real problems. If you could please say what the pixel dimensions of your origina images as you have them in the slideshow are it would be a place to start.

We run PTE slideshows created with 5.0, 5.1 and betas of 5.5 on literally hundreds of computers with absolutely no problems but we create the shows for the least common denominator. That is we keep the image dimensions down to 1024x683 for the originals and we don't try to run slideshows from the CD but rather create a menu to allow the user to transfer the executables to their computer before being run.

To better understand how to do this it might be helpful for you to download and read the tutorials and the User Guides and perhaps watch some of the many AVI tutorials provided.

If you can give specific details there are many here on the forum who can help you construct your slideshows so they will be amenable to nearly any PC. Perhaps if you could post a zipped PTE file from one you are having problems with at customer sites we could have a look and help sort out the problem areas.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Jena,

The difference with PTE 5.x and 4.x is that with the new graphical engine rather than a static image when there is any pan, zoom or rotate intermediate images at up to 60 images per second are created and displayed sequentially to provide the intermediate frames necessary to perform the PZR effect. Even if only one image has PZR in it the entire engine is switched on. With older computers which have minimal hardware resources and especially video resources, combining the display of high frame rate jpgs with original sized images simply overwhelms the resources on older systems. With the majority of newer computers being delivered with Vista as an operating system and with Vista absolutely requiring high performance video and more RAM the problems we see and the precautions we must take for compatibility with older systems will become a moot issue in the near furture, but right now keeping the image dimensions down to around 1028x683 will usually result in quite satisfactory performance on theses older systems. Of course with 4.4x and older vesions of PTE there is no problems running even full resolution slides because we deal with only a single image rather than upward of 60 images per second and even the older hardware can handle that without strain.

By keeping the file dimension down to 1024x683 (1024x768 on most fixed lens digicams) it's possible to still have beautiful animated shows which will run on even older systems with only 32 meg video cards. It just requires making lower resolution copies. Because PTE can automatically adjust size to fill the screen for the display environment, the only time it's really necessary to load an occasional larger image is when really deep zooms are being used. Otherwise there is no advantage at all in using original resolution slides. So the small inconvenience of having to resample the frames for the slideshow are offset by the amazing qality of imagery possible with this great new program.

I think you will find that downsampling the originals will be sufficient to give you perfect slideshows even on the older machines.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks for your help Lin. I am using original images. I will reduce the image size & try again. The confusion comes from the fact that I can create the exact same slideshow with 4.45 with no issues. I have always done it this way, but I've got to resize for the web anyway, so I'll just use those images. We are burning to CDs for our clients. But we are also copying the exe file over to the laptop in our sales room. This is when we run into problems. Exe's from 4.45 work fine, they hang up from the newer version.

I will create a new show this afternoon & give it another try. Thanks again for you help!

Jena

Jena:

(I will likely be the subject of many nasty thoughts when I say this :rolleyes: )

If you don't need the pan and zoom facilities, then why not keep using the old version, or at least upgrade to 4.49.

Pan and Zoom are great tools (when used artistically ;) ) but if you don't need them, stick with your current version.

Jena,

Would I be correct in assuming that you are engaged in some form of Commercial Business ?...and that you

have no control over what PC's your Clients are using ?... and would those Client PC's range from Win 98se

to Win 2000 and Win XP and even Vista ?...and finally your Showroom Laptop, what is the Make and Model No ?

If you answer 'yes' to 2~3 of the 4 questions you would be better advised to download Pte4.49 which is the

Commercial Workhorse of the PTE range of Programs ~ it will work on virtually any PC regardless.

The new version of PTE is PTE.5xx and it is a fantastic Program but is designed for newer PCs with lots of Memory

and good Hi-speed Graphics Cards....these things you cant guarantee your Clients actually have !!

So why not enjoy the best of both Worlds ~ use Pte 4.49 for the 'older Computers' and use Pte.5xx for Modern PCs.

I'm sure you will find some way of convincing your more diserning Clients (with modern PCs) to use Pte 5xx

Brian.Conflow.