WnSoft Forums

create avi

Not sure what im doing wrong, ive got a sliedshow i jsut want to create an avi, i press video, create AVI file, then click create AVI, i then name it and select save destination and press save, it pretty much instantly goes to finish but doesnt produce a AVI, it just says i should now this avi file in a special software to burn to dvd but i have no file. Anyone know what im doing wrong?

You may want to download and read the Official PTE User Guide and the Unofficial PTE User Guide from the Help link on PTE.

To make a stand-alone AVI file you must use "Create Custom AVI". Click on Video then on Create AVI then click inside the small circle next to Create Custom AVI Video File. Next click on Video Codec and choose one which resides on your computer from the list. If you don't already have a Codec Pack I would suggest downloading a free one such as the ACE Codec MegaPak and installing something common such as Microsoft 2 or Microsoft 4.

After you have selected a Video Codec then choose an appropriate size depending on your eventual output destination. 640x480 works well as does 800x600, etc.

The other functions are designed to be used with specific software to burn DVD's or BluRay, etc., and the default codec "PTE Codec" doesn't create a stand-alone AVI file but rather creates an AVI "Template" which informs other software such as Ulead Movie Factory of the images, order, transitions, music, etc., which the third party software would use to burn the disc.

Best regards,

Lin

+

Not sure what im doing wrong, ive got a sliedshow i jsut want to create an avi, i press video, create AVI file, then click create AVI, i then name it and select save destination and press save, it pretty much instantly goes to finish but doesnt produce a AVI, it just says i should now this avi file in a special software to burn to dvd but i have no file. Anyone know what im doing wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Lin for your advices of making a stand-alone AVI files.

What I want to do now is:

1) create AVI files from PictureToExe,

2) run these files on Mac machines, via Front Row application.

Question: what choices of Video Codec and Audio Codec I have to do in the lists proposed by P2E to guarantee compatibility between PC and Mac OS platforms?

Thanks a ot for your answer.

Claude.

Hi Claude,

Check the Mac and see which codecs are presently available. Choose a codec from your list on PTE which matches one from the Mac.

With the PC's you can download free Codec Packs from the web such as the Ace Mega Pack which has hundreds of codecs which can be installed selectively on your pc. Once they are installed they will appear on the drop-down list. I'm sure there is a similar codec pack available for the Mac but I'm not that familiar with present Mac use to make a recommendation. It's only necessary that the same codec used on your AVI creation on the PC be resident on the Mac to make it work.

Best regards,

Lin

Thank you Lin for your advices of making a stand-alone AVI files.

What I want to do now is:

1) create AVI files from PictureToExe,

2) run these files on Mac machines, via Front Row application.

Question: what choices of Video Codec and Audio Codec I have to do in the lists proposed by P2E to guarantee compatibility between PC and Mac OS platforms?

Thanks a ot for your answer.

Claude.

SEE

http://www.picturestoexe.com/forums/index....ost&p=39192

Yes, my mpg2 slideshows play well on Macs. BUT, apparently, they don't play with QuickTime or RealMediaPlayer but with VLC. Same thing for me (and other friends) under Windows : Windows Media Player doesn't work. Again, VLC is the solution; it gives a much better quality anyway and is OpenSource.

KEN

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lin,

I am also trying to create avi files of my slideshows, but am not having much luck. I tried the ace codec pack but then had so many options of codecs that I was completely overwhelmed by the choice! I have windows xp and the ones you suggested (microsoft 2 and 4) don't seem compatible with xp. Do you know which codec I could download that would enable me to make avi or mpeg files?

Is there any way of compressing the file as well so it is a more managebale size? I tried ffd show as it said it was compatible with xp, but that created a 71mb avi file - and to be honest I found the options it gave me complicated so it might have been possible to compress but I just don't have the know how!

Any tips?

Thanks

Dave

You may want to download and read the Official PTE User Guide and the Unofficial PTE User Guide from the Help link on PTE.

To make a stand-alone AVI file you must use "Create Custom AVI". Click on Video then on Create AVI then click inside the small circle next to Create Custom AVI Video File. Next click on Video Codec and choose one which resides on your computer from the list. If you don't already have a Codec Pack I would suggest downloading a free one such as the ACE Codec MegaPak and installing something common such as Microsoft 2 or Microsoft 4.

After you have selected a Video Codec then choose an appropriate size depending on your eventual output destination. 640x480 works well as does 800x600, etc.

The other functions are designed to be used with specific software to burn DVD's or BluRay, etc., and the default codec "PTE Codec" doesn't create a stand-alone AVI file but rather creates an AVI "Template" which informs other software such as Ulead Movie Factory of the images, order, transitions, music, etc., which the third party software would use to burn the disc.

Best regards,

Lin

+

Hi Lin,

I am also trying to create avi files of my slideshows, but am not having much luck. I tried the ace codec pack but then had so many options of codecs that I was completely overwhelmed by the choice! I have windows xp and the ones you suggested (microsoft 2 and 4) don't seem compatible with xp. Do you know which codec I could download that would enable me to make avi or mpeg files?

Hi Dave,

AVI shows will always be quite large when compared to an executable file because executable code only has to have the instruction set to tell your computer what to do with a given image. The AVI file has to have each frame created and saved at a rate of up to 29.97 frames per second. So a 10 minute AVI file could have as many as 17,982 images while an executable file only has one coy of each original image plus the instructions informing the computer how to create the multiple frames (as many as 60 or more per second) on the fly for each show as it's run.

This means to cut down on the size of an AVI file you must both compress and make the images smaller in size. Compression algorithms take their toll on image quality so usually an AVI file will not have nearly the quality unless it's uncompressed and then file size is astronomical.

I'm not certain why you couldn't use Microsoft 2 and/or 4 Video Codecs with XP - I use only XP on all my systems and those are my most commonly used video codecs. The way the ACE codec pack works is you don't have to install all the codecs, only those you wish to use. Look carefully and be sure that the ones you install are for a PC and not for a Mac.

If you set your display size to something like 640x480 you should get pretty decent quality. If you go smaller such as for Youtube then the quality will generally deteriorate. Tell me what you intend to do with your AVI files and perhaps I can make some suggestions.

Best regards,

Lin

Is there any way of compressing the file as well so it is a more managebale size? I tried ffd show as it said it was compatible with xp, but that created a 71mb avi file - and to be honest I found the options it gave me complicated so it might have been possible to compress but I just don't have the know how!

Any tips?

Thanks

Dave

HI Lin,

Thanks for your help. I didn't panic second time round with the mega pac and downloaded a few of the microsoft codecs and the avi creation works. You're right about the size. It's just a 4min slideshow to music and has ended up about 73MB.

In terms of usage I'd like to upload it to facebook to show my friends on the other side of the world. I'm testing ti now - as the video app on facebook says you can upload videos up to 300MB, so maybe it'll work fine (update - it has worked fine so I'm pretty happy all round and can't wait to finish work so I can start on another slideshow!! This stuff is addictive!)

I've sized the file 640 x 480 as you've suggested so fingers crossed!

Thanks for your help.

Hi Dave,

AVI shows will always be quite large when compared to an executable file because executable code only has to have the instruction set to tell your computer what to do with a given image. The AVI file has to have each frame created and saved at a rate of up to 29.97 frames per second. So a 10 minute AVI file could have as many as 17,982 images while an executable file only has one coy of each original image plus the instructions informing the computer how to create the multiple frames (as many as 60 or more per second) on the fly for each show as it's run.

This means to cut down on the size of an AVI file you must both compress and make the images smaller in size. Compression algorithms take their toll on image quality so usually an AVI file will not have nearly the quality unless it's uncompressed and then file size is astronomical.

I'm not certain why you couldn't use Microsoft 2 and/or 4 Video Codecs with XP - I use only XP on all my systems and those are my most commonly used video codecs. The way the ACE codec pack works is you don't have to install all the codecs, only those you wish to use. Look carefully and be sure that the ones you install are for a PC and not for a Mac.

If you set your display size to something like 640x480 you should get pretty decent quality. If you go smaller such as for Youtube then the quality will generally deteriorate. Tell me what you intend to do with your AVI files and perhaps I can make some suggestions.

Best regards,

Lin

Any tips?

Thanks

Dave