WnSoft Forums

Can't move/adjust a Text block...

goddi

Usually, I can add Text to a slide and then move/adjust it to where I want to place it. However, in my Menu file, in the 6th slide, when I add a Text block, it appears right in the middle of the image. But when I click on it, I don't get the handles and I can't move/adjust the Text block. I want to put this Text on an image that rotates and zooms in. When I highlight a stationary image, the Text block acts normally and I can move it. But when I try to add it to this specific image that rotates/zooms in, I can not move/adjust it within the image or get it to show the handles. What am I missing here??? (Using RC5).

Thanks... Gary

P.S. :rolleyes: I just answered my own question. After I created the Text block, I just happened to click on the "Create New Keyframe here" and the handles appeared and I could then move the Text block around. This was just an accident that I did this. But I don't understand why this has to be done to get the Text block to become adjustable in this circumstance. Can someone educate me about this??? Thanks... Gary

Hi Gary,

You must have a selected keyframe to move or change any object or file. The essence is that you tell the program via Project Options or Customize this Slide how you want the initial image to appear in terms of "Original, Fit to Slide, Cover Slide," timings, etc. Any other changes require the selection of a keyframe so if you want a slide or an object to appear differently than the default you must inform the program when and where. This is accomplished via keyframes. Sometimes a keyframe gets deleted by accident and then you must create one before being able to make changes in size or position, etc. That may have been what happend to you in this case. But it's perfectly normal to need to have a keyframe and have it selected in order to change the position or size of any object or main slide. "Usually" this happens by default (selected keyframe in the initial position" but it's possible to accidentally delete one which then requires you to recreate it.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Gary,

You must have a selected keyframe to move or change any object or file. The essence is that you tell the program via Project Options or Customize this Slide how you want the initial image to appear in terms of "Original, Fit to Slide, Cover Slide," timings, etc. Any other changes require the selection of a keyframe so if you want a slide or an object to appear differently than the default you must inform the program when and where. This is accomplished via keyframes. Sometimes a keyframe gets deleted by accident and then you must create one before being able to make changes in size or position, etc. That may have been what happend to you in this case. But it's perfectly normal to need to have a keyframe and have it selected in order to change the position or size of any object or main slide. "Usually" this happens by default (selected keyframe in the initial position" but it's possible to accidentally delete one which then requires you to recreate it.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin... It will take a while to digest your explanation. :blink: Give me some time. However, I played with another slide I have in this Menu file. Here is what I noticed. It also has an image that rotates/zooms in. If I unrotate/unzoom the image so that it essentially disappears (it is at the beginning of the action) and I add Text, it automatically shows the handles and I can move/adjust it as you would expect. I don't have to click on "Create New Keyframe here". However, when I manually bring out this image to its final open size, and add a Text block, then this Text block has no handles and I have to click on the "Create New Keyframe here" to get the handles. Does this jive with your explanation???

Gary

Hi Gary,

I can't be certain from your explanation but:

Pay particular attention to whether the text becomes a "child" of the file or whether it stands on its own as an object.

If the object is selected when the text is applied it will automatically assume the child relationship, if not it will become its own object.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin... It will take a while to digest your explanation. :blink: Give me some time. However, I played with another slide I have in this Menu file. Here is what I noticed. It also has an image that rotates/zooms in. If I unrotate/unzoom the image so that it essentially disappears (it is at the beginning of the action) and I add Text, it automatically shows the handles and I can move/adjust it as you would expect. I don't have to click on "Create New Keyframe here". However, when I manually bring out this image to its final open size, and add a Text block, then this Text block has no handles and I have to click on the "Create New Keyframe here" to get the handles. Does this jive with your explanation???

Gary

Hi Gary,

I can't be certain from your explanation but:

Pay particular attention to whether the text becomes a "child" of the file or whether it stands on its own as an object.

If the object is selected when the text is applied it will automatically assume the child relationship, if not it will become its own object.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin... Yes, I was looking at the effect of the "child" relationship when I added a Text block. In my test, I did not chose any object, so the Text was not a "child" of any object. As I explained before, if I leave the image (that zooms/rotates in) to be at the beginning of its zoom/rotate animation (that is, a just a small dot), the Text comes in with the handles. However, if I bring out the image that zooms/rotates from the small dot to full size, and then add the Text, the Text block comes in without the handles and I have to click on "Create New Keyframe here" to get the handles to appear. Though, it is not a 'child' of this zoomed/rotated image, when I do this, the Text block is frozen in the middle of the screen until I click on "Create New Keyframe here". I just don't understand why the addition of the Text block acts differently depending on whether the image that zooms/rotates in is at the beginning or at the end of the animation. At least I now know how to deal with it; I just don't understand the logic behind it. :blink:

Gary

Hi Gary,

I can't seem to duplicate the problem you're having. Could you give a step-by-step of how you get to the point where you have no keyframe when you add text.

For example, you said that you "bring out the image" then add text. How did you get the image to the dot size in the first place? Did you do it visually by clicking on the green bounding rectangle top, bottom or side square and drag or did you enter values into the zoom block? If you entered values into the zoom block what value did you use. When you shrink the object or image using the green rectangles you usually can not get a zero size. It is possible to type in zero but then you will have .001 in the opposite block because the program "protects" the object until you decide to delete by choosing "delete". Then when you have a tiny dot how are you "bringing out" the object? Do you enter a value in the zoom block or do it with the mouse cursor and green bounding rectangle?

If I could duplicate the problem perhaps I could see at which point the problem occurs but I've not been able yet to exactly follow the progression and recreate the missing keyframe.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin... Yes, I was looking at the effect of the "child" relationship when I added a Text block. In my test, I did not chose any object, so the Text was not a "child" of any object. As I explained before, if I leave the image (that zooms/rotates in) to be at the beginning of its zoom/rotate animation (that is, a just a small dot), the Text comes in with the handles. However, if I bring out the image that zooms/rotates from the small dot to full size, and then add the Text, the Text block comes in without the handles and I have to click on "Create New Keyframe here" to get the handles to appear. Though, it is not a 'child' of this zoomed/rotated image, when I do this, the Text block is frozen in the middle of the screen until I click on "Create New Keyframe here". I just don't understand why the addition of the Text block acts differently depending on whether the image that zooms/rotates in is at the beginning or at the end of the animation. At least I now know how to deal with it; I just don't understand the logic behind it. :blink:

Gary

Hi Gary,

Q: For example, you said that you "bring out the image" then add text. How did you get the image to the dot size in the first place?

A: I inserted an image and cloned the keypoint. I made the first image very small using the handles (green bounding squares). I let the cloned keypoint to be a large image at the end of the animation...so it zooms from small to large.

Q: Then when you have a tiny dot how are you "bringing out" the object?

A: I grab the blue triangle and move it to the right side so that the image zooms from small to max size. And then I try to add the Text block.

Lin, I am going to try to attach the file...about 500K. Hope it works....

Go the side #6. Grab the blue triangle and move it to the right so the image zooms/rotates to its final larger size. Click outside the images so no child is made. Then add Text. The Text block appears with NO handles and can not be moved until you click on 'Create New Keyframe here'. See if the same thing happens with you...Hope this makes sense.

Thanks... Gary

Lin

Menu_May31_2008_14_44_17.zip

Hi Gary,

I see what your problem is now. You have moved the starting keyframe rather than creating a new keframe on a number of slides. I have added the starting keyframe at the beginning of each sequence for you and zipped them with a link for you below.

Each sequence of motion must have a starting keyframe at the beginning of each timeline then a secondary keyframe at the time where you wish to end that particular sequence. So the order of events is to not move the original default keyframe from the starting position for any object but highlight the starting keyframe, adjust your image or object as you want it to appear at the beginning of that sequence, then go along the timeline to the time where you want the sequence to end and create another keyframe. Drag the image into the condition you wish it to end in or enter corresponding values in the pan, zoom, rotate block to achieve the desired effect. Bottom line is that there should "always" be a keyframe at the beginning of each object's timeline.

Here's your link

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/samples/gary.zip

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Gary,

I see what your problem is now. You have moved the starting keyframe rather than creating a new keframe on a number of slides. I have added the starting keyframe at the beginning of each sequence for you and zipped them with a link for you below.

Each sequence of motion must have a starting keyframe at the beginning of each timeline then a secondary keyframe at the time where you wish to end that particular sequence. So the order of events is to not move the original default keyframe from the starting position for any object but highlight the starting keyframe, adjust your image or object as you want it to appear at the beginning of that sequence, then go along the timeline to the time where you want the sequence to end and create another keyframe. Drag the image into the condition you wish it to end in or enter corresponding values in the pan, zoom, rotate block to achieve the desired effect. Bottom line is that there should "always" be a keyframe at the beginning of each object's timeline.

Best regards,

Lin

Lin... Thanks for looking at my slideshow. I read your reply several times but I do not see any difference between my version and what you sent me. I tried to understand your methodology but I, apparently, just don't understand what you are instructing me to do. I think I am doing what you say...however, I still get the Text block that does not have any handles. Well, my method eventually got me the handles and it worked so maybe there is more than one way to get the handles to appear. The only difference I see is that I used 'Clone a Keyframe' and you used 'Add a Keyframe', if I understand what you are saying. Either way, the Text block does not have handles.

But thanks for the help. I just can't seem to rap my head around your method. I think I DO have a Keyfram at the beginning of the object's timeline and then just do a Clone a Keyframe to get the ending action in the timeline.

I'll keep working on it to see if I can see any difference... Thanks... Gary

garycorrect.jpg Hi Gary,

In 10 places you have a single keyframe moved far along the timeline with no keyframe at the starting point. Here are some screen captures:

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/gary/gary1

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/gary/gary2

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/gary/gary3

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/gary/gary4

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/gary/gary5

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/gary/gary6

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/gary/gary7

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/gary/gary8

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/gary/gary9

There "must" be a keyframe at the beginning of each timeline......

Best regards,

Lin

Lin... Thanks for looking at my slideshow. I read your reply several times but I do not see any difference between my version and what you sent me. I tried to understand your methodology but I, apparently, just don't understand what you are instructing me to do. I think I am doing what you say...however, I still get the Text block that does not have any handles. Well, my method eventually got me the handles and it worked so maybe there is more than one way to get the handles to appear. The only difference I see is that I used 'Clone a Keyframe' and you used 'Add a Keyframe', if I understand what you are saying. Either way, the Text block does not have handles.

But thanks for the help. I just can't seem to rap my head around your method. I think I DO have a Keyfram at the beginning of the object's timeline and then just do a Clone a Keyframe to get the ending action in the timeline.

I'll keep working on it to see if I can see any difference... Thanks... Gary

garycorrect.jpg Hi Gary,

In 10 places you have a single keyframe moved far along the timeline with no keyframe at the starting point. Here are some screen captures:

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/gary/gary1

There "must" be a keyframe at the beginning of each timeline......

Best regards,

Lin

Lin... I really have been trying to understand your explanation. However, I am still at a loss. Lets look at the 'gary1', where you say it must have a keyframe at the beginning of its timeline. When I look at 'gary1', you have highlighted an image that is stationary. I only inserted the image as a still image with no text. It is the other image that zooms in. So this is my first confusion as to why it " there must" be a keyframe at the beginning of each timeline......" when this image has no timeline, it just is a stationary image?

Later....Ah...But...I NOW think I see what you are saying when it come to the image that zooms in with added Text. After trying many times, I have been successful in adding Text and getting the handles (insuring that there is a beginning keyframe in its timeline). AND, I just figured out how to make the Text pan from left to right within the image as the image panned left to right. Wow!!! Thanks for getting me to see the forest for trees. Gary :rolleyes:

Hi Gary,

All images have a timeline whether there is animation or not. The timeline represents the start of display in real-time for the slide to the end of time of display for the slide. There must be a keyframe at the beginning of the timeline whether or not there is any "action" or "animation" on the slide. It's put there by default. So even if you have only a still image, the keyframe must stay at the beginning of the slide. Whether there are other keyframes is optional depending on whether or not you want some change in appearance of that slide.

Lin... I really have been trying to understand your explanation. However, I am still at a loss. Lets look at the 'gary1', where you say it must have a keyframe at the beginning of its timeline. When I look at 'gary1', you have highlighted an image that is stationary. I only inserted the image as a still image with no text. It is the other image that zooms in. So this is my first confusion as to why it " there must" be a keyframe at the beginning of each timeline......" when this image has no timeline, it just is a stationary image?

Later....Ah...But...I NOW think I see what you are saying when it come to the image that zooms in with added Text. After trying many times, I have been successful in adding Text and getting the handles (insuring that there is a beginning keyframe in its timeline). AND, I just figured out how to make the Text pan from left to right within the image as the image panned left to right. Wow!!! Thanks for getting me to see the forest for trees. Gary :rolleyes:

No problem. It's sometimes like a "light" comes on and suddenly the big picture becomes clear.

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Gary,

All images have a timeline whether there is animation or not. The timeline represents the start of display in real-time for the slide to the end of time of display for the slide. There must be a keyframe at the beginning of the timeline whether or not there is any "action" or "animation" on the slide. It's put there by default. So even if you have only a still image, the keyframe must stay at the beginning of the slide. Whether there are other keyframes is optional depending on whether or not you want some change in appearance of that slide.

Lin

Lin... Not to beat a dead horse, but, at least in my slideshow, it did not matter that some of the still images (with no animation) did not have a keyframe at the beginning. So I don't see why you say it "must". Not arguing but just wondering still. I see it "must" if you want to add Text the way I was trying to do. But if no animation is involved, why "must"?

And now I see why I had the non-animated slide with no initial keyframe. Here is why it happened: Say, in slide#1, I had one non-animated image and a second image that zoomed/rotated in. Then, in the next slide in the slidelist, I wanted to replicate the images in slide#1, but not have the second image zooming/rotating in, but have a third image zoom in. So I copied/pasted the two images from slide#1 into the next slide. But I had to dump the initial keyframe of the zooming/rotating image to have it match its final position exactly as it was in the previous slide. Hope this makes sense.

I guess I could have gotten the Pan/Zoom figures off the Animation Tab in slide#1 and entered that data to set the image's position in slide#2's initial keyframe (after dumping the second keyframe). Am I getting dangerous now? Gary

Hi Gary,

Violating the condition that it "must" have an initial keyframe is what got you into trouble in the first place - LOL. The system is designed to work with assumptions. Because it's "possible" to violate these assumptions and not get into trouble in some cases doesn't invalidate the necessity for maintaining the keyframe in an initial position at the start of the keyframe.

Let me give you a silly automotive example. Let's say you are going on a trip in your car. The manufacturer's assumption is that you need brakes to stop the vehicle. But you decide you really don't need them because the trip is all on level ground, there is no other traffic on the road and you have calculated that if you begin to coast exactly a half mile from your destination from a speed of 65 mph you will stop right at the proper point. Everything is going great until a farmer's cow breaks through a fence, stands in the middle of the road and you must swerve into the ditch to miss it. Had you not removed the brakes you could have avoided the accident and arrived at your destination as planned.......

Good programming techniques (creating slideshows with PTE is actually programming) require making some initial assumptions and one of them is the initial default keyframe placed at the beginning of a file by default. If you leave it there or "replace" it when it's missing then the rest of the program will work as expected. But if you accidentally move it or move it inadvertently because of a copy paste action, then put it back manually to avoid the problems like you encountered. Yes, you can get away without having it there in some cases, but you then have to know when those cases are. There is no "penalty" for having it where it belongs and there may be unanticipated consequences for violating the rule so.......

Best regards,

Lin

Lin... Not to beat a dead horse, but, at least in my slideshow, it did not matter that some of the still images (with no animation) did not have a keyframe at the beginning. So I don't see why you say it "must". Not arguing but just wondering still. I see it "must" if you want to add Text the way I was trying to do. But if no animation is involved, why "must"?

And now I see why I had the non-animated slide with no initial keyframe. Here is why it happened: Say, in slide#1, I had one non-animated image and a second image that zoomed/rotated in. Then, in the next slide in the slidelist, I wanted to replicate the images in slide#1, but not have the second image zooming/rotating in, but have a third image zoom in. So I copied/pasted the two images from slide#1 into the next slide. But I had to dump the initial keyframe of the zooming/rotating image to have it match its final position exactly as it was in the previous slide. Hope this makes sense.

I guess I could have gotten the Pan/Zoom figures off the Animation Tab in slide#1 and entered that data to set the image's position in slide#2's initial keyframe (after dumping the second keyframe). Am I getting dangerous now? Gary

Hi Gary,

...Everything is going great until a farmer's cow breaks through a fence, stands in the middle of the road and you must swerve into the ditch to miss it. Had you not removed the brakes you could have avoided the accident and arrived at your destination as planned.......

Yea...but I had my anti-cow retrorockets that stopped me before I hit the cow!!!!!

Good programming techniques (creating slideshows with PTE is actually programming) require making some initial assumptions and one of them is the initial default keyframe placed at the beginning of a file by default....

Ok... I learned a lot with this problem and I will play by the rules!!! Thanks much... Gary :rolleyes: