WnSoft Forums

Request for Evaluation of Performance

Lin Evans

Hi Folks,

I downloaded the free Flash Encoder Ray mentioned in his post and encoded an SWF version of the zipped executable sample I posted a couple days ago. Anyone with a broadband and enough time to wait for the approximate 27 meg of swf download to happen before play begins is welcome to test it and comment. There is an email link at the bottom of the player.

Link below:

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/testflash/index.html

Thanks,

Lin

Thanks to all who responded by email - my conclusion is that since the SWF file must be downloaded to the client system anyway, and given that the Flash compression for a reasonably good Flash quality creates a file size comprable to the executable code zipped size, there is no real advantage at all in converting to flash using this technology for other than MacIntosh users. For MacIntosh users one could justify using it however given that most new MacIntosh computers are capable of running Windows it's value is somewhat dubious.

A really "good" Flash implementation of Flash 8 or higher using a product such as On2 Technologies Flix or Flix Pro will give better results at higher compression levels - of course they are not "free" but neither is this program now that the download and free registration have expired. It was, however an excellent learning process to see how it was perceived by different users.

Ray, tanks again for the original tip and link!

Best regards,

Lin

Hi Folks,

I downloaded the free Flash Encoder Ray mentioned in his post and encoded an SWF version of the zipped executable sample I posted a couple days ago. Anyone with a broadband and enough time to wait for the approximate 27 meg of swf download to happen before play begins is welcome to test it and comment. There is an email link at the bottom of the player.

Link below:

http://www.learntomakeslideshows.net/testflash/index.html

Thanks,

Lin