WnSoft Forums

Creating AVI

goddi

Ok...I am sure this subject has been beaten to death. I have always had problems with it and just gave up. I tried to get answers by using Search on 'AVI' but the Search will not work with 3 letters, and I tried 'Create AVI', etc., but no luck. So I apologize for bringing this subject up again since it seems I am the only one having questions/misunderstandings about it. I also read the Help file but it does not answer my question.

I'd like to make an AVI of a PTE without having to burn it to a DVD. It seems this is the only way to do it??? Why can't I just make an AVI right to my harddrive???

I click on 'Create AVI file' and it does make an AVI file. And I can see it and play it off my harddrive if I do not hit 'Finish'. I notice, however, that none of the fade transitions work. If I hit 'Finish', the AVI file gets dumped.

I thought, Ok, I will outsmart this thing and renamed the file. However, the renamed file only plays the music with a black screen. I'd like to know if it is possible to create an AVI file straight to the harddrive. If not, why not? I have created DVD's just fine. But what's the hangup with creating an AVI's straight to the harddrive that works???

It seems that 'Burn DVD-Video disc' is used to burn the PTE to a DVD using PTE's engine, and 'Create AVI' is used for burning the PTE using an external program, like Ulead's DVD Movie Factory. Is this concept right? But why can't we create an AVI video to a harddrive without involving the process of burning it to a DVD????

Thanks... Gary

Guest Yachtsman1
Ok...I am sure this subject has been beaten to death. I have always had problems with it and just gave up. I tried to get answers by using Search on 'AVI' but the Search will not work with 3 letters, and I tried 'Create AVI', etc., but no luck. So I apologize for bringing this subject up again since it seems I am the only one having questions/misunderstandings about it. I also read the Help file but it does not answer my question.

I'd like to make an AVI of a PTE without having to burn it to a DVD. It seems this is the only way to do it??? Why can't I just make an AVI right to my harddrive???

I click on 'Create AVI file' and it does make an AVI file. And I can see it and play it off my harddrive if I do not hit 'Finish'. I notice, however, that none of the fade transitions work. If I hit 'Finish', the AVI file gets dumped.

I thought, Ok, I will outsmart this thing and renamed the file. However, the renamed file only plays the music with a black screen. I'd like to know if it is possible to create an AVI file straight to the harddrive. If not, why not? I have created DVD's just fine. But what's the hangup with creating an AVI's straight to the harddrive that works???

It seems that 'Burn DVD-Video disc' is used to burn the PTE to a DVD using PTE's engine, and 'Create AVI' is used for burning the PTE using an external program, like Ulead's DVD Movie Factory. Is this concept right? But why can't we create an AVI video to a harddrive without involving the process of burning it to a DVD????

Thanks... Gary

Hi Garry

I'm a relative newbie so bear with my solution, after finising your show, click save as top left and save to somewhere easy to find, then click create, bottom left, this will put an exe file on your HD in the same location as the saved as file.

Yachtsman1

Hi Gary,

Yes, it's easy to create a stand-alone AVI file with PTE. Whether you have the Deluxe version or the normal version just click on the Video tab, put a check beside "Create custom AVI video file," then click on the Video Codec tab and choose something "other" than the default PTE codec.

That's all there is to it.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks... Gary

Hi Gary,

Yes, it's easy to create a stand-alone AVI file with PTE. Whether you have the Deluxe version or the normal version just click on the Video tab, put a check beside "Create custom AVI video file," then click on the Video Codec tab and choose something "other" than the default PTE codec.

That's all there is to it.

Best regards,

Lin

Yes...thank you. Now I remember I had been through this some time ago and I could not get it to work. I chose Cinepak and it just made a video. I forgot the need to change the PTE video codec. Many months ago, I had tried a dozen or more codecs but nothing really worked well. Now, it looks better. Wonder if Igor tweeked it to work better.

If I don't do it frequently, I get brain-lock!! Thanks... Gary

For us luddites....

How do we know which codec to use ?

What one does Windows Media Player like (Although Lin doesn't like WMP and uses different software :) )

Jim and All,

Here below is a Link to 'Snapfiles' and the 'Open-Org Software Group' their "Essential Windows Codecs" which has

everything you may possibly need plus the excellent 'Windows Classic Player 6.8'

These 'Codecs' are essential for replaying Video/Audio Media (anything) ~ including U-Tube and Windows Media etc.

Enjoy...

Brian.Conflow.

Link:-

http://www.snapfiles.com/reviews/essential...codec-pack.html

post-1416-1213756187_thumb.jpg

Jim and All,

Here below is a Link to 'Snapfiles' and the 'Open-Org Software Group' their "Essential Windows Codecs" which has

everything you may possibly need plus the excellent 'Windows Classic Player 6.8'

These 'Codecs' are essential for replaying Video/Audio Media (anything) ~ including U-Tube and Windows Media etc.

Enjoy...

Brian.Conflow.

Brian... I already had a bunch of codecs, about 25 video & 19 audio codecs. I just installed the Essentials-Codec pack. However, I still have the same number of codecs that I had before when I look in the PTE Video or Audio's list of codecs available. What do I need to do to be sure they are recognized in PTE's drop down list?

Also, after getting this long list of codecs, which one of the video codecs is the best...if there is one...for creating a stand-alone AVI in PTE?

Thanks... Gary

Gary,

By the very nature of what you are attempting to do, my reply has to be a 'multi-facet' answer,viz:-

1) How to do it ?

Please refer to Lin's Post No:3 above ~ Lin has given you the answer there.

2) PTE Drop-down List of Codecs ?

This is a 'tricky one' and perhaps best answered by Igor, because I simply don't know how the

WnSoft Team wrote the API Application for their Codec (drop-down) selection List and I dont know

if its possible to select an 'external' Codec as Lin suggested. You need Lin's help with that one.

3) Importing Codecs into the PTE Program Folder.

It is possible to copy Codec's into the PTE Program Folder, but whether the PTE Program will recognise

such and register these for usage, I have no answer ~ Again Igor or Lin could answer this.

4) Best Codec to Use ?

No simple answer to this either ~ it depends on what you want to do with the AVI File. These Files can be

converted into simple Video Files or TV.Video Files both Pal & Ntsc (Digital & Analog types) -SWF Files -and

a whole range of Video Applications from Blue-Tooth to U-Tube and iPod and Web-Flash applications.

You need to decide exactly what you want to do with the AVI's and re-post back here with that query.

Sorry I cant be more specific, but I hope I have pointed you in the right direction so to make a decision.

Brian.Conflow.

Hi Gary,

Reboot your computer and look again. "If" the codec pack which you installed has additional codecs which were not already installed on your computer they "should" appear in the list automatically. PTE simply queries the system and reports via standard Windows procedures what Windows has shown to be properly installed and operating codecs.

As for choosing one, the issue you face is one of trying to second guess which codecs may or may not be installed on other's systems. For any system to recognize and play an AVI file or an audio file the codec used to compress video and/or audio must reside on and be properly installe on the system the file is played on.

Windows comes with certain codecs installed but which depends on which iteration of Windows. Generally if you use a Microsoft codec the probability of the codec being available on other computers is greater. The lower number video codecs such as MPEG 1 or 2 (rather than MPEG 4) are more common because they have been around longer, however some of the higher number codecs are more sophisticated and produce better results. It's really a guessing game as far as which you choose and much depends on the audience for your AVI and what you can assume about the relative age of their systems as well as the technical savy of their owners.

I generally recommend that for your first AVI's which you plan to use for general distribution that you choose Microsoft MPEG 2. There are some issues which make it difficult to be absolutely certain which codec you have used. I've reported this to Igor in the past but I'm uncertain whether it's something he has control over or whether PTE uses Microsoft's own reporting code. When the drop-down list appears, there is a vertical scroll bar but no horizontal scroll bar and some of the codec names are too wide to display properly so it's not always possible to tell exactly which video codec you have selected.

When Igor returns from his vacation (holiday) I will ask him again if it's possible to remedy this.

Meanwhile try Microsoft MPEG 2 for your video codec.

Best regards,

Lin

Brian... I already had a bunch of codecs, about 25 video & 19 audio codecs. I just installed the Essentials-Codec pack. However, I still have the same number of codecs that I had before when I look in the PTE Video or Audio's list of codecs available. What do I need to do to be sure they are recognized in PTE's drop down list?

Also, after getting this long list of codecs, which one of the video codecs is the best...if there is one...for creating a stand-alone AVI in PTE?

Thanks... Gary

Hi Gary,

Reboot your computer and look again....

I rebooted but I still have 25 video codecs as before.

For any system to recognize and play an AVI file or an audio file the codec used to compress video and/or audio must reside on and be properly installed on the system the file is played on.

Did not know that.

I generally recommend that for your first AVI's which you plan to use for general distribution that you choose Microsoft MPEG 2.

When Igor returns from his vacation (holiday) I will ask him again if it's possible to remedy this.

Meanwhile try Microsoft MPEG 2 for your video codec.

Ok...will try it.

Best regards,

Lin

Thanks...Gary

Jim and All,

Enjoy...

Brian.Conflow.

As we often see here on the forum, many computers react differently....

I have had no problems with viewing .avi files, but was having problems creating .avi files with PTE. So I downloaded and installed the package recommended (see above)

It did not add any CODECs in the PTE "create avi "

And Lin Evans' tutorials no longer work on my machine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another .avi file I use frequently does still work but I get a warning screen which I have to close.

As I say different computers react differently, so be careful

Hi Jim,

Since my tutorials use the DivX codec, you may download and install them here:

I would suggest trying the ACE Megapac install first followed by the DivX install.

http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/

This "should" make your system again compatible with the DivX suite.

Best regards,

Lin

As we often see here on the forum, many computers react differently....

I have had no problems with viewing .avi files, but was having problems creating .avi files with PTE. So I downloaded and installed the package recommended (see above)

It did not add any CODECs in the PTE "create avi "

And Lin Evans' tutorials no longer work on my machine !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another .avi file I use frequently does still work but I get a warning screen which I have to close.

As I say different computers react differently, so be careful

Lin

THANKS for all your help (e-mail et al)

I installed your recommended codecs (took a VERY long time and I actually stopped its virsus checking part,) but install went OK

Your .avi shows are working fine now and the images on .avi file from the pte show are much better than they were before. Still not as good as the .exe images, but passable if I have a need to use them on an uniformed audience