WnSoft Forums

emailing slide show

fgdfgd

Now and then I take pictures of company events and make a PicturesToExe slide show that my employer emails to employees using the companies email. A 15MB slide show without music takes 45 seconds to open. Seems like a long time. Are my expectations unreasonable? Ideas on how to make it open faster?

Thanks

Hi Frank,

That represents the time it takes for the file to download from wherever the executable file is physically such as the email server to the client computer, not the time it takes for the executable file itself to open.

It would be more expeditious for the company to post the show as a zipped executable on the company's website (in a folder on the host computer server) then provide a link in the emails rather than trying to email the executable slideshow itself. Then the download would have a visual "progress" indicator so that the person downloading would get a feel for how long it might take. Even with a very fast broadband and depending on various internet conditions it takes some time to download 15 megabytes of data. The only way to more or less "instantly" see a slidshow over the web would be to convert the exe file and create a streaming FLV Flash show which has its own set of issues such much lower image quality, smaller images, the necessity of the recipient having the proper Flash player installed, etc.

You "could" make the images much smaller thereby making the file size much smaller which would download faster, but then that would defeat the great image quality with PTE.

Best regards,

LIn

Now and then I take pictures of company events and make a PicturesToExe slide show that my employer emails to employees using the companies email. A 15MB slide show without music takes 45 seconds to open. Seems like a long time. Are my expectations unreasonable? Ideas on how to make it open faster?

Thanks

Guest Yachtsman1

Thanks

Hi Frank

Sounds reasonable to me assuming the recipiant has Broadband, could take over an hour on dial up.

Yachtsman1