WnSoft Forums

Offtopic. Self discharge of battery in laptop

Igor

Sorry for offtopic question.

My new portable laptop is ASUS Eee PC 900 and it has 10-15% self discharge of the battery per day. It takes 7 days to fully empty battery and laptop even will not turn on.

I found that it's common problem maybe for all Eee PC 900:

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=34479&p=1

How you think is it normal for laptops or defect? I can try to return it to a shop (15 days money back in my country for any discovered defect).

Igor,

I've just checked my old Fujitsu Amilo laptop. I last used it on 28 July. The battery is still 94% full.

Therefore I conclude that what you are seeing is not normal for all laptops. It might still be normal for an ASUS Eee PC. I seem to recall that another forum user mentioned owning an ASUS Eee PC in a post earlier this year. If you can find that post you could try a PM to the forum member to get their experience of owning a ASUS Eeee PC.

regards,

Peter

Igo,

I have not had any experience with the ASUS Eee PC 900, however, I have never had the trouble you are having with any of the laptops I have owned. Looks like a defect to me. I would make a decision before your 15 days are up.

Howard

Hi Igor,

You do have a problem with your Asus PC-900 and its Battery power consumption...

Following on from 'world-wide complaints' they have now agreed to replace the 4400.mA/Hr Battery installed in your PC-900 but this

appears to apply to Hong-Kong purchasers solely ~ what every other purchaser has to do ~ I simply don't know at this time of writing.

In the meantime you could 'turn-off' the Wireless Lan Adapter (when not in use) and also re-configure the 'Power-Settings' in Control Panel

according to the "Attachment" below ~ this should give you extra Battery life until the replacement arrives.

(NB: The power-Settings shown below are for a Mechanical-HD and I assume there must be a similar Configuration-System for the SSD-HD)

Here under is an "Attachment" and a Link to the 'Product Review Web Site' which will explain all ~

LINK:-

http://www.product-reviews.net/2008/04/23/...umpc-batteries/

Brian.Conflow.

post-1416-1218500816_thumb.jpg

post-1416-1218502129_thumb.jpg

Sorry for offtopic question.

My new portable laptop is ASUS Eee PC 900 and it has 10-15% self discharge of the battery per day. It takes 7 days to fully empty battery and laptop even will not turn on.

Igor,

I purchased the same PC this past week. Mine is the 16gig (SSD) Eee PC 900 with Windows XP (SP3). I also have a 16gig SDHC card in the SD slot for additional storage. Although my battery is the 4400mAh like yours, I do not have the same problem. I completely draining my battery (per the manual) at least twice then recharged it fully. It now remains good for well over 2 1/2 hours and does not appear to drain when the power is turned off. I have noticed that when it goes to sleep, the wireless is turn off to save power. This is per engineering design. Since mine was purchased in the US, I do not know if Asus will replace US batteries that are 4400mAh like they are going to do in the UK and elsewhere. However, I certainly hope they do so I can get a battery that will last even longer. I love the PC ! It is perfect for travel !! Have you tried the great utility BatStats that was mentioned on the Eee forum? It provides a VERY GOOD indication of the battery's status. It works very well. Here is the link http://www.geocities.com/mosc_007/windows_...ttery_meter.htm

Kind regards,

Bill :rolleyes: